[Solved] Firefox with pgo question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eichhorn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: [Solved] Firefox with pgo question Reply with quote

Good time of the day.

I've decided to compile 'firefox' with the 'pgo' USE-flag, The problem is that it just stops after giving me the following error:

Code:
ERROR:root:RequestHandlerInstance instance has no attribute 'path'

After that it just stops. I checked 'htop' and it showed that there is an 'xvfb' instance with the browser in it, but CPU is almost idle and nothing really happens.

I've launched x11vnc to check it out and it turns out it was unable to connect to the 'localhost:8888/index.html'.

I tried other web pages and they worked, so I used it for 10 minutes and closed. After that the compilation continued.

My question is as follows: "Is that how it is supposed to be done?".

I feel that something did go wrong and it is not how it was supposed to be working.

EDIT: it failed
Code:

INPUT("../../gfx/skia/Unified_cpp_gfx_skia7.o")
    INPUT("../../gfx/skia/Unified_cpp_gfx_skia8.o")
    INPUT("../../gfx/skia/Unified_cpp_gfx_skia9.o")
    INPUT("StaticXULComponentsEnd/StaticXULComponentsEnd.o")

../../gfx/thebes/Unified_cpp_gfx_thebes1.o: In function `gfxFontGroup::MakeSpaceTextRun(gfxTextRunFactory::Parameters const*, unsigned int) [clone .cold.349]':
Unified_cpp_gfx_thebes1.cpp:(.text.unlikely+0x479c): undefined reference to `gfxShapedWord* gfxFont::GetShapedWord<unsigned char>(mozilla::gfx::DrawTarget*, unsigned char const*, unsigned int, unsigned int, mozilla::unicode::Script, bool, int, unsigned int, gfxTextPerfMetrics*)'
../../gfx/thebes/Unified_cpp_gfx_thebes1.o: In function `gfxTextRun::SetSpaceGlyph(gfxFont*, mozilla::gfx::DrawTarget*, unsigned int, unsigned short)':
Unified_cpp_gfx_thebes1.cpp:(.text.unlikely+0x4996): undefined reference to `gfxShapedWord* gfxFont::GetShapedWord<unsigned char>(mozilla::gfx::DrawTarget*, unsigned char const*, unsigned int, unsigned int, mozilla::unicode::Script, bool, int, unsigned int, gfxTextPerfMetrics*)'
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/6.3.0/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: libxul.so: hidden symbol `_ZN7gfxFont13GetShapedWordIhEEP13gfxShapedWordPN7mozilla3gfx10DrawTargetEPKT_jjNS3_7unicode6ScriptEbijP18gfxTextPerfMetrics' isn't defined
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/6.3.0/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: final link failed: Bad value
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[5]: *** [/tmp/portage/www-client/firefox-51.0/work/firefox-51.0/config/rules.mk:802: libxul.so] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory '/tmp/portage/www-client/firefox-51.0/work/firefox-51.0/ff/toolkit/library'
make[4]: *** [/tmp/portage/www-client/firefox-51.0/work/firefox-51.0/config/recurse.mk:71: toolkit/library/target] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory '/tmp/portage/www-client/firefox-51.0/work/firefox-51.0/ff'
make[3]: *** [/tmp/portage/www-client/firefox-51.0/work/firefox-51.0/config/recurse.mk:33: compile] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory '/tmp/portage/www-client/firefox-51.0/work/firefox-51.0/ff'
make[2]: *** [/tmp/portage/www-client/firefox-51.0/work/firefox-51.0/config/rules.mk:523: default] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/tmp/portage/www-client/firefox-51.0/work/firefox-51.0/ff'
make[1]: *** [/tmp/portage/www-client/firefox-51.0/work/firefox-51.0/client.mk:413: realbuild] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/tmp/portage/www-client/firefox-51.0/work/firefox-51.0'
make: *** [client.mk:243: profiledbuild] Error 2
emake failed

EDIT: It just successfully built itself. I have no idea why, since I tried for more than 5 times with the same error, listed in the first code block. Sorry for wasting your time.

The answer to my initial question is therefore "No, it should be completely automated."
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some info starting @ post 5 within @ https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1052716-start-100.html
Never tried it, so can't tell whether you experienced right or wrong,
but the fact app started during the ebuild process may be expectable.
No idea about the warnings/errors sent, tough.

Thks 4 ur attention.
mrbassie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you get it to even start compiling? My system seems to refuse to set pgo (for firefox).

EDIT: Nevermind https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7490084.html
Eichhorn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainBlood, thanks, but I'm not sure that's what I need.
My question is, how can I enable manual optimisation? I'd love if emerge would simply stall after initial compilation and invite me to play around in firefox until I close it.

The problem is that during some one of the tests it tries to connect to 'localhost:8888' and fails. It turnes out, that the browser itself opens and runs quite a lot of times. I simply close it and everything seems to work.

Except I constantly get the same error. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1128161 has the bug, but it's marked as 'Resolved', so I'm not sure what to do.

mrbassie, strange, mine was not masked.
papu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is my "manual" optimitations on firefox...BUT keep in mind i am using an unstable gentoo ~amd64 and gcc 6.4 or 7.2 ( actually)
https://paste.pound-python.org/show/1QxiajsWCnooBmpyJB2A/

try to compile firefox with this stuff.
Code:

/etc/portage/env/Os-flag
CFLAGS="-Os -march=native -fomit-frame-pointer"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

/etc/portage/package.env
www-client/firefox Os-flag

/etc/portage/package.use/package.use
###  FIREFOX: use of optimizated and security oriented USE flags such as hardened and forcing it to use more up to date system-wide libraries
dev-db/sqlite                secure-delete
media-libs/libvpx            postproc svc
www-client/firefox           custom-cflags custom-optimization hardened pgo system-harfbuzz system-jpeg system-libvpx system-libevent system-sqlite
x11-base/xorg-server         xvfb                  # required by www-client/firefox-57.0::gentoo[pgo]

Quote:
sudo emerge -p firefox
https://i.imgur.com/5UfTK0R.png

thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: