Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Why is Libreoffice insisting on gnome-keyring?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJM
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Why is Libreoffice insisting on gnome-keyring? Reply with quote

As per title... a while back I purged my system of virtually all gnome-related filth including gnome-keyring and everything was fine but now that there's an update available for Libreoffice (from 5.2.7.2 to 5.4.2.2) it's wanting to pull in;

app-crypt/libsecret
app-crypt/pinentry
app-crypt/gnupg
gnome-base/gnome-keyring
app-crypt/gpgme

I don't particularly want any of those on my system and Libreoffice is working perfectly well at the moment without any of them - why is the update insisting on them? I can't see them listed as LO dependencies anywhere.
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LibreOffice 5.4 has a new feature:
Quote:
Under Linux, you can now use OpenPGP keys to sign ODF documents.

See: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/5.4

That's probably the reason why gnupg & friends are required.

You can probably get rid of some of the packages if you emerge package "pinentry" without USE flag "gnome-keyring".
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly what command did you run that leads you to believe these packages are required? Did you pass --tree to emerge so that it would use indentation to show you the dependency tree instead of the dependency list?
Juippisi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be a USE flag thing. Libreoffice depends on gpgme that depends on gnupg that depends on pinentry, and pinentry has an USE flag for gnome-keyring. I also think if something pulls libsecret, it has a hard dependency on gnome-keyring.
AJM
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike155 wrote:
LibreOffice 5.4 has a new feature:
That's probably the reason why gnupg & friends are required.
You can probably get rid of some of the packages if you emerge package "pinentry" without USE flag "gnome-keyring".

Ah! That does make sense, I hadn't seen mention of that feature. Of course it's one I don't want, and would like to build LO without if possible... I had already tried with "-gnome-keyring" but it doesn't make any difference unfortunately. As Juippisi says, it looks like libsecret has a hard dependency on gnome-keyring.

Hu wrote:
Exactly what command did you run that leads you to believe these packages are required?

Well, emerge -up libreoffice for one... adding --tree gives;

Code:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild     U  ] app-office/libreoffice-5.4.2.2 [5.2.7.2] PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="(-python3_6)" PYTHON_TARGETS="(-python3_6)"
[ebuild  N     ]  app-crypt/gpgme-1.8.0-r3  USE="cxx -common-lisp -python -qt5 -static-libs" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_4 -python3_5 (-python3_6)"
[nomerge       ] app-crypt/gpgme-1.8.0-r3  USE="cxx -common-lisp -python -qt5 -static-libs" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_4 -python3_5 (-python3_6)"
[nomerge       ]  app-crypt/gnupg-2.2.0  USE="bzip2 gnutls nls readline -doc -ldap (-selinux) -smartcard -tofu -tools -usb -wks-server"
[nomerge       ]   app-crypt/pinentry-1.0.0-r2  USE="gnome-keyring gtk ncurses -caps -emacs -qt5 -static"
[nomerge       ]    app-crypt/libsecret-0.18.5  USE="introspection -crypt -debug {-test} -vala"
[ebuild  N     ]     gnome-base/gnome-keyring-3.20.0  USE="caps filecaps pam ssh-agent (-selinux) {-test}"
[ebuild  N     ]      app-crypt/gnupg-2.2.0  USE="bzip2 gnutls nls readline -doc -ldap (-selinux) -smartcard -tofu -tools -usb -wks-server"
[ebuild  N     ]       app-crypt/pinentry-1.0.0-r2  USE="gnome-keyring gtk ncurses -caps -emacs -qt5 -static"
[ebuild  N     ]        app-crypt/libsecret-0.18.5  USE="introspection -crypt -debug {-test} -vala"
[nomerge       ] app-office/libreoffice-5.4.2.2 [5.2.7.2] PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="(-python3_6)" PYTHON_TARGETS="(-python3_6)"
[ebuild     U  ]  dev-libs/liborcus-0.12.1 [0.11.2]
[ebuild     U  ]   dev-libs/libixion-0.12.2 [0.11.1] USE="threads%* -debug%"
[ebuild  N     ]  media-libs/libzmf-0.0.2  USE="-debug -doc {-test} -tools"
[nomerge       ] gnome-base/gnome-keyring-3.20.0  USE="caps filecaps pam ssh-agent (-selinux) {-test}"
[nomerge       ]  app-crypt/pinentry-1.0.0-r2  USE="gnome-keyring gtk ncurses -caps -emacs -qt5 -static"
[ebuild  N     ]   app-eselect/eselect-pinentry-0.7
[nomerge       ] app-office/libreoffice-5.4.2.2 [5.2.7.2] PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="(-python3_6)" PYTHON_TARGETS="(-python3_6)"
[ebuild     U  ]  app-office/libreoffice-l10n-5.4.2.2 [5.2.7.2]
[nomerge       ] app-crypt/gnupg-2.2.0  USE="bzip2 gnutls nls readline -doc -ldap (-selinux) -smartcard -tofu -tools -usb -wks-server"
[ebuild  N     ]  dev-libs/libksba-1.3.5-r1  USE="-static-libs"
[ebuild  N     ]  app-text/libstaroffice-0.0.4  USE="zlib -debug -doc -tools"
[nomerge       ] app-crypt/gnupg-2.2.0  USE="bzip2 gnutls nls readline -doc -ldap (-selinux) -smartcard -tofu -tools -usb -wks-server"
[ebuild  N     ]  dev-libs/npth-1.3  USE="-static-libs"

That's an awful lot of crypt related stuff that for me is pointless cruft which I'd rather not have cluttering my system - a "crypt" USE flag would be a nice if LO could be built without it. After all the work they've done on refactoring it would be a shame if they were now just adding hard dependencies like this to support features which almost nobody will actually use...
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJM wrote:
I had already tried with "-gnome-keyring" but it doesn't make any difference unfortunately. As Juippisi says, it looks like libsecret has a hard dependency on gnome-keyring.

Stange, you disabled gnome-keyring to app-crypt/pinentry package? Because your output say no
Code:
[nomerge       ]   app-crypt/pinentry-1.0.0-r2  USE="gnome-keyring gtk ncurses -caps -emacs -qt5 -static"

Add -gnome-keyring on make.conf and then run
Code:
# emerge -uUD app-office/libreoffice

AJM wrote:
That's an awful lot of crypt related stuff that for me is pointless cruft which I'd rather not have cluttering my system - a "crypt" USE flag would be a nice if LO could be built without it. After all the work they've done on refactoring it would be a shame if they were now just adding hard dependencies like this to support features which almost nobody will actually use...

There's no use flag on libreoffice for remove crypt stuff, simply app-crypt/gpgme it's require by package
AJM
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea wrote:
Stange, you disabled gnome-keyring to app-crypt/pinentry package? Because your output say no
Code:

Add -gnome-keyring on make.conf and then run
Code:
# emerge -uUD app-office/libreoffice

I should have said -gnome-keyring was already in make.conf - it must be a hard dependency as upgrading LO still pulls in all those extra packages.

Quote:
There's no use flag on libreoffice for remove crypt stuff, simply app-crypt/gpgme it's require by package

I wonder if it's absolutely required by libreoffice though... will have to download the source and have a look at the configure options.
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJM wrote:
I should have said -gnome-keyring was already in make.conf - it must be a hard dependency as upgrading LO still pulls in all those extra packages.

Yes, pinentry seems hard dependency but not gnome-keyring, indeed you can disable it from pinentry package.
If you have put -gnome-keyring in make.conf run
Code:
# emerge -uUD libreoffice

And gnome keyring is no longer required

Quote:
I wonder if it's absolutely required by libreoffice though... will have to download the source and have a look at the configure options.

It's possible, but not sure, to use gpgmepp provided by libreoffice instead system gpgmepp but you should change ebuild
libreoffice-5.4.2.2.ebuild:
        econf \
                --with-system-dicts \
                --with-system-epoxy \
                --with-system-headers \
                --with-system-jars \
                --with-system-libs \
                --enable-cairo-canvas \
                --enable-largefile \
                --enable-mergelibs \
                --enable-neon \
                --enable-python=system \
                --enable-randr \
                --enable-release-build \
                --disable-breakpad \
                --disable-ccache \
                --disable-dependency-tracking \
                --disable-epm \
                --disable-fetch-external \
                --disable-gstreamer-0-10 \
                --disable-online-update \
                --disable-pdfium \
                --disable-report-builder \
                --with-alloc=$(use jemalloc && echo "jemalloc" || echo "system") \
                --with-build-version="Gentoo official package" \
                --enable-extension-integration \
                --with-external-dict-dir="${EPREFIX}/usr/share/myspell" \
                --with-external-hyph-dir="${EPREFIX}/usr/share/myspell" \
                --with-external-thes-dir="${EPREFIX}/usr/share/myspell" \
                --with-external-tar="${DISTDIR}" \
                --with-lang="" \
                --with-parallelism=$(makeopts_jobs) \
                --with-system-ucpp \
                --with-vendor="Gentoo Foundation" \
                --with-x \
                --without-fonts \
                --without-myspell-dicts \
                --without-help \
                --with-helppack-integration \
                --with-system-gpgmepp \     <-- disable this

geki
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case you want to remove the gpgme dependency completely, here is the hack:
(gpgme is disabled for macosx and windows, I just added linux.)
http://geki.selfhost.eu/hacks/libreoffice-5.4-no-gpgme.patch

Remove the two gpgme lines from ebuild, put hack into /etc/portage/patches/app-office/libreoffice/
and it should install. It installed here.

You better double-check if patch is applied.

Have fun! :P
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As fedeliallalinea notes, package manager output states that app-crypt/pinentry has USE=gnome-keyring enabled. I accept that you tried to disable it, but the package manager is not respecting your attempt. The most likely explanations are that either you misspelled the flag (happens to everyone), or that there is a package.use entry for app-crypt/pinentry that enables the flag for that package, overriding your system-wide default of disabling gnome-keyring. What is the output of grep -rnH gnome-keyring /etc/portage/package.use ; emerge --pretend --verbose --tree app-crypt/pinentry?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, libreoffice certainly does not depend on gnome-keyring, and it makes no sense not to use system-gpgme since you already have it installed...
AJM
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for not replying earlier, I did figure out the problem yesterday;

geki wrote:
Just in case you want to remove the gpgme dependency completely, here is the hack:
(gpgme is disabled for macosx and windows, I just added linux.)
http://geki.selfhost.eu/hacks/libreoffice-5.4-no-gpgme.patch
Remove the two gpgme lines from ebuild, put hack into /etc/portage/patches/app-office/libreoffice/
and it should install. It installed here.
You better double-check if patch is applied.
Have fun! :P

Thanks for that Geki, I will! And Hu and fedeliallalinea were on the right track - as I said, I did have -gnome-keyring in make.conf, but as Hu guessed and my grepping yesterday showed, there was an unnoticed line buried in package.use from ancient times re-enabling it for pinentry. Oops! I'm old enough that I should have spotted that in the beginning...

asturm wrote:
...it makes no sense not to use system-gpgme since you already have it installed...

If I do, it's very well hidden...

Code:
eix -I gpgme
No matches found

Thanks for the help everyone, it's a shame a feature this unlikely to be used can't simply be easily disabled in the LO build system (especially when so many others are) but I'll live with hacking it out for now.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJM wrote:
asturm wrote:
...it makes no sense not to use system-gpgme since you already have it installed...

If I do, it's very well hidden...

Sorry, I looked at the wrong line. However, you shouldn't even notice gpgme build time compared to libreoffice and all its deps, so... considering you are probably not using half of LibreOffice apps, but still have no choice but build them, I consider it not a big deal (at least after you got your use flags right).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: