bash terminal on 4k (startup)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skaman814
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:24 am    Post subject: bash terminal on 4k (startup) Reply with quote

Hi,

I've got a fresh install and am using a 4k tv as a monitor. Everything I've found about changing the font size is pretty outdated. Is there any way to make the font size bigger, or should I just change the resolution in the grub config until I get a desktop installed?
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this is what you want, but I think there must be at least several ways to do this. Through the scripts associated with the shell (bash, zsh, whatever you use), or through the distribution in this case it is covered in this wiki file... https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Fonts

If you are saying that you tried this method (adding consolefonts to the list of running/active services) or no? I would start with that route, but be sure to report back if it doesn't work because you may have to go ahead and install some other fonts if the sizes of the default font don't suit your needs.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I just went through the instructions are the bottom half you want to follow...so far, the largest font I've been able to test is pt size 32. Which is plenty large, but even if that's not large enough than you will just need to go through the more extensive process of finding the font you want to install and copying it, so basically here's some easy to follow steps in case you have any questions about what I did...

1) Refer to the list of consolefonts in /usr/share/consolefonts

Code:
ls /usr/share/consolefonts

Then, find one that is the large enough size, hopefully there's more than size pt 16 I have many files in that directory.

2) As per the instructions on the wiki, when you go to edit the file (you will need root access I assume that's np), go into:

Code:
# nano /etc/conf.d/consolefont

From here you will put the name of the font (without the part at the end so exclude any .cp.gz or other similar ending)

3) I think the wiki is missing a quick test in there, which I do as follows, to make sure that the service works before adding it to the runlevel for boot.

Code:
jonathanr@playboy /etc/conf.d $ sudo rc-service consolefont restart
 * Caching service dependencies ...                                                                                                         [ ok ]
 * Setting console font [ter-c32n] ... 

4) If you like what you have there, then go ahead and follow the rest of what the wiki says about changing the default runlevel for service (add consolefonts to boot)

Now it's time FOR ME to switch my console's font back to a reasonable size, although I like the idea of a big font, I could see it being problematic too. REport back about things when you get a chance.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no harm in booting with a deliberately low resolution then letting X set a higher one. In fact that's probably beneficial; the Linux console is abysmally slow at the best of times...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: