View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:52 am    Post subject: libnsl is causing a rebuild stopping my world updates Reply with quote

Hi does anyone have a suggested route to proceed, for this.

My @world or @system update both include libnsl in it...I don't really know anything about the package.
Except that it is a new version same slot for the update.

What to do when a package causes rebuilding like this? I don't get this situation 9/10 times...
Quote:

The following packages are causing rebuilds:

(net-libs/libnsl-1.1.0-r1:0/2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) causes rebuilds for:
(app-text/opensp-1.5.2-r6:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

Conflict: 1 block (1 unsatisfied)

* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
* installed at the same time on the same system.

(sys-libs/glibc-2.25-r9:2.2/2.2::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
sys-libs/glibc:2.2 required by (virtual/libc-1:0/0::gentoo, installed)
sys-libs/glibc[rpc(-)] required by (net-fs/autofs-5.1.3:0/0::gentoo, installed)
>=sys-libs/glibc-2.9_p20081201 required by (dev-libs/libev-4.24:0/0::gentoo, installed)
sys-libs/glibc required by @selected
>=sys-libs/glibc-2.13 required by (sys-devel/gcc-6.4.0:6.4.0/6.4.0::gentoo, installed)
>=sys-libs/glibc-2.15 required by @steam
>=sys-libs/glibc-2.7 required by (sys-apps/iproute2-4.14.0:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

(net-libs/libnsl-1.1.0-r1:0/2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
net-libs/libnsl:0 required by @__auto_slot_operator_replace_installed__
net-libs/libnsl:0= required by (app-text/opensp-1.5.2-r6:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

Could this be due to the lower requirement of virtual package that is currently installed, or even autofs as the reason for the block?
jburns
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:

(net-libs/libnsl-1.1.0-r1:0/2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) causes rebuilds for:
is an informational message and does not block the emerge.

In the list of packages to be merged there should be a line with "[blocks B ]" that indicates why the emerge is blocked.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as requested, please help me to solve as I almost inevitably could find another way around it, but would like to understand my options (other than excluding this package from the update or removing it altogether and then adding it back later.)
Code:
[blocks B      ] <sys-libs/glibc-2.26 ("<sys-libs/glibc-2.26" is blocking net-libs/libnsl-1.1.0-r1)

[Moderator edit: added [code] tags to preserve output layout. -Hu]
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, what I've tried is to

1) upgrade the package itself
2) remove the package, but there are many dependent packages on this library, of which several are within the system set

...I'm not sure if changing USE flags would do it, but that is the next way other than just removing a ton of stuff that I can think of.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget I think i was just looking at the thing all backwords, I'm going to upgrade glibc first and that will probably do it.

Thanks for the suggestion!
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This glibc update is buggie
sbraz
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: libnsl is causing a rebuild stopping my world updates Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
Hi does anyone have a suggested route to proceed, for this.

My @world or @system update both include libnsl in it...I don't really know anything about the package.
Except that it is a new version same slot for the update.

What to do when a package causes rebuilding like this? I don't get this situation 9/10 times...
Quote:

Conflict: 1 block (1 unsatisfied)

* Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
* installed at the same time on the same system.

(sys-libs/glibc-2.25-r9:2.2/2.2::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
sys-libs/glibc:2.2 required by (virtual/libc-1:0/0::gentoo, installed)
sys-libs/glibc[rpc(-)] required by (net-fs/autofs-5.1.3:0/0::gentoo, installed)
>=sys-libs/glibc-2.9_p20081201 required by (dev-libs/libev-4.24:0/0::gentoo, installed)
sys-libs/glibc required by @selected
>=sys-libs/glibc-2.13 required by (sys-devel/gcc-6.4.0:6.4.0/6.4.0::gentoo, installed)
>=sys-libs/glibc-2.15 required by @steam
>=sys-libs/glibc-2.7 required by (sys-apps/iproute2-4.14.0:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

(net-libs/libnsl-1.1.0-r1:0/2::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
net-libs/libnsl:0 required by @__auto_slot_operator_replace_installed__
net-libs/libnsl:0= required by (app-text/opensp-1.5.2-r6:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)

Could this be due to the lower requirement of virtual package that is currently installed, or even autofs as the reason for the block?

I ran into the same issue! You need to emerge autofs with USE=libtirpc, it either needs an old glibc or that USE flag.
tnt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: libnsl is causing a rebuild stopping my world updates Reply with quote

sbraz wrote:
I ran into the same issue! You need to emerge autofs with USE=libtirpc, it either needs an old glibc or that USE flag.

thx!
dilfridge
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: libnsl is causing a rebuild stopping my world updates Reply with quote

tnt wrote:
sbraz wrote:

thx!

Exactly, that's the solution. And it's by default on since half an hour. See also

https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-user/message/14a5ab3cd2e9e7e76f9777c993359d05
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My p o s* pc updates somehow bypassed the issue and installed glibc version with version 2.26 now I can't install autofs.

I would like to not have to unmerge glibc, but I could downgrade it and try. Otherwise, what should I do, remove the use flag and follow the opposite instructions for those pre-update with glibc?
rob_dot_p
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:

I would like to not have to unmerge glibc, but I could downgrade it and try.

I don't know your exact situation but generally speaking that's not a good idea
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-845000.html
Josef.95
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
My p o s* pc updates somehow bypassed the issue and installed glibc version with version 2.26 now I can't install autofs. [...]

Hm, normal it should now work fine:
Code:
# emerge -av1 glibc autofs

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R    ] sys-libs/glibc-2.26-r3:2.2::gentoo  USE="(multilib) -audit -caps -debug -gd (-hardened) -nscd -profile (-selinux) -suid -systemtap (-vanilla)" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] net-fs/autofs-5.1.3::gentoo  USE="libtirpc -dmalloc -hesiod -ldap -mount-locking -sasl" 294 KiB

Total: 2 packages (1 new, 1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 294 KiB

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No] n

Quitting.

Please try it after a fresh `emerge --sync`
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem arises when it looks for rpcgen, I know there is also the option for another RPC than that. Is that what the use flag is about?

Code:

Machine_West /home/jonathan # emerge -av1 glibc autofs

* Call stack:
 *               ebuild.sh, line  124:  Called src_configure
 *             environment, line 3187:  Called autotools-utils_src_configure
 *             environment, line  529:  Called econf '--docdir=/usr/share/doc/autofs-5.1.3' '--with-confdir=/etc/conf.d' '--with-mapdir=/etc/autofs' '--without-dmalloc' '--without-openldap' '--with-libtirpc' '--without-sasl' '--without-hesiod' '--disable-mount-locking' '--disable-ext-env' '--enable-sloppy-mount' '--enable-force-shutdown' '--enable-ignore-busy' '--with-systemd=/usr/lib/systemd/system' 'RANLIB=/usr/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-ranlib'
 *        phase-helpers.sh, line  665:  Called __helpers_die 'econf failed'
 *   isolated-functions.sh, line  117:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *              die "$@"

From previous compiling/configuring:
Code:

checking for rpcgen... no
configure: error: required program RPCGEN not found

Bottom line:
>>> Failed to emerge net-fs/autofs-5.1.3, Log file:

>>> '/var/log/Portage/build/net-fs/autofs-5.1.3:20171117-001212.log'

Would you like to see the build log?

EDIT: I failed to mention that glibc compiles fine, but that is because it is a rebuild, and there's no issues now with that there. But when it comes time to merge autofs the problems begin on my system. Can I make do without it or is that an important system utility to manage file system mounts and stuff?

Last edited by LIsLinuxIsSogood on Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Josef.95
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably a missing dependency.
Please try
Code:
emerge -av1 net-libs/rpcsvc-proto autofs
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Giving a try looks like it worked!

Thanks by the way, but just checking for my own sanity, is the missing dependency due to the ebuild missing that dependency, or is portage doing some sort of funky stuff with the package (it is hard to tell since I've been having this issue going on since yesterday)! It is solved now... :)
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends. Did Portage think that package was installed before you tried to install it? Have you previously told Portage to pretend that package is installed?
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, thanks.
WishingItWouldWork
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: libnsl is causing a rebuild stopping my world updates Reply with quote

dilfridge wrote:
tnt wrote:
sbraz wrote:

thx!

Exactly, that's the solution. And it's by default on since half an hour. See also

https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-user/message/14a5ab3cd2e9e7e76f9777c993359d05

I am sorry, but requiring "autofs" and the required kernel config option, "CONFIG_AUTOFS4_FS", is a "non-starter" for someone like me that is trying to operate a customized kernel configuration based on "gentoo-sources" that drastically reduces the "attack surface" of my kernel for use in a firewall application. Using "hardened-sources" is not a solution in my situation based on my own testing of my needs.

I do not even have "libtirpc" support compiled into the single ATOM on my system that might want it in a USE flag: "net-firewall/conntrack-tools"

I don't want RPC on my target system due to "attack surface" concerns. I do not need RPC on my target system because I do not have any servers or services that need/use it as far as I have determined. Yet the suggested solution seems to be "you have to have it cuz we say so". There must be a better soultion than that.

So what am I supposed to do now? Am I stuck in a "no win" situation? I thought Gentoo was all about "choice" for the user. :(
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josef.95 solution worked to install the missing dependency.

Code:

Not sure if this is going to help you, but it's worth a try.
WishingItWouldWork
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
Josef.95 solution worked to install the missing dependency.

Code:

Not sure if this is going to help you, but it's worth a try.

That solution will not work for me. It would mean:

- installing a package that I do want, do not need, do not use, and is currently not even installed on the target system;

- enabling a kernel config flag that I do not want, do not need, do not use, and is currently not even enabled on the target system;

- potentially exposing the particular system to RPC "risks" that it was not previously exposed to, and that means completely retesting the target system which is unacceptable.

In a few words, the act of adding unwanted, unneeded, or unused binaries is the equivalent of BLOAT for any OS, and I hate bloatware with a passion.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That solution will not work for me.

Hi WishingitWW, i really doubt that but ifyou insist, many points you make need to be or are easy work around,

1. You can not install it, or you can install and then unmerge after the fact
2. You should not need to make the kernel change to do this but if you have to just undo it later
3 RPC as a service is only turned on when you turn it on

Take care,
WishingItWouldWork
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
Quote:
That solution will not work for me.

Hi WishingitWW, i really doubt that but ifyou insist, many points you make need to be or are easy work around,

1. You can not install it, or you can install and then unmerge after the fact
2. You should not need to make the kernel change to do this but if you have to just undo it later
3 RPC as a service is only turned on when you turn it on

Take care,

Re: (1) Seems like a silly way to handle a dependency. Is that a standard practice in Gentoo? Install a package so a second package can install, then uninstall the first package? 8O
Re: (2) The kernel config flag change is required by the "autofs" package when I "emerge" it: " CONFIG_AUTOFS4_FS: is not set when it should be. "
Re: (3) Agreed, but I have nothing on the target system that uses RPC. Neither "nfs-utils" nor "rpcbind" is installed. :)

I checked a Debian box in the rack; one of my co-worker's systems. It does not have the "autofs" package at all; it has similar "security requirements". It may have the kernel config flag set, but the "autofs" package and it's dependencies (keyutils libnfsidmap2 libtirpc1 nfs-common rpcbind) are not installed at all because none of them are needed and not used. It looks like "glibc" is even handled differently in Debian. Maybe I should switch? :?
Hu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: libnsl is causing a rebuild stopping my world updates Reply with quote

WishingItWouldWork wrote:
I am sorry, but requiring "autofs" and the required kernel config option, "CONFIG_AUTOFS4_FS", is a "non-starter" for someone like me that is trying to operate a customized kernel configuration based on "gentoo-sources" that drastically reduces the "attack surface" of my kernel for use in a firewall application. Using "hardened-sources" is not a solution in my situation based on my own testing of my needs.
You seem to be angry over a situation that does not actually exist. The solution posited in that mailing list thread is that, if you want to use autofs, you need to install a working rpc implementation. Old glibc had one included. New glibc does not, so now you need an external package if you need RPC. If you don't need autofs, and you seem to be very convinced that you don't in your environment, then you don't need to install net-libs/libtirpc nor sys-fs/autofs.

Perhaps you should share the actual error message you encountered that drew your attention to this thread.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Install a package so a second package can install, then uninstall the first package?

The reason for this is only if you can ensure that by breaking the package dependency it will still “sort of” function the way you need it to. I cannot say because i am not an expert on package management but assuming that autofs is what you are after then it would appear that the problem is different from mine in this thread because my goal was not to keep or get rid of the package but to resolve an updates issue woth my world set.

Anyway, thanks for sharing and you are probably true about the maintenance of packages in gentoo being a very challenging and lengthy debate usually taking place behind the scenes to produce the code in portage trees.
WishingItWouldWork
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
Quote:
Install a package so a second package can install, then uninstall the first package?

The reason for this is only if you can ensure that by breaking the package dependency it will still “sort of” function the way you need it to. I cannot say because i am not an expert on package management but assuming that autofs is what you are after then it would appear that the problem is different from mine in this thread because my goal was not to keep or get rid of the package but to resolve an updates issue woth my world set.

Anyway, thanks for sharing and you are probably true about the maintenance of packages in gentoo being a very challenging and lengthy debate usually taking place behind the scenes to produce the code in portage trees.

Thank you for your honesty and efforts to assist. It would be nice to hear from the Gentoo maintainers on these issues.

As for my co-worker and myself, we are wrapping up our multi-month analysis of Linux distributions for our management; they requested the review at the start of this year and gave us time to do a thorough job. I think the conclusions we will give our management are now pretty clear; it doesn't look good for Gentoo ("flexibility" outweighed by "very fiddly nature" to the point of "outright tempermental" at times) and those "rolling" distributions ("flexibility and fiddly" and sometimes at the same time).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: