I have joined the Gentoo world
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trademark97
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:56 am    Post subject: I have joined the Gentoo world Reply with quote

Just about a week ago, I installed Gentoo on my desktop box, and about two days ago, I converted my laptop that I use for schoolwork to Gentoo as well. In the 7 or so years I have actively been using the various Linuxes, Gentoo is the best I have found thus far. The installation was not as difficult as I thought it was going to be, in either case. In the case of the laptop, it was just boot up my SystemRescueCD USB drive, load up the Gentoo Handbook, download the stage3 tarball, chroot in to the new environment, and install following the instructions of the Handbook. The after-installation (such as getting things like NetworkManager set up and installing a DE [Xfce]) procedures were much easier than I thought they would be, and very enjoyable. Tinkering with this particular installation, and carefully crafting a fast, responsive, stable environment that works well for my schoolwork and other such things associated with my school life has been quite an excellent experience. It is crafted and setup in such a way that I feel that I can be confident it will remain stable and dependable for as long as I use this system.
On my desktop box, that I use for everything else (gaming, video editing, rendering with Blender, music experimentation, etc), I have been somewhat more adventurous. I have mixed in considerably more ~amd64 packages, done far more customization to the USE flags (in order to enhance performance or to add in features that sound intriguing), and added in some overlays to bring in what I feel completes the necessary ensemble of packages on this system. Getting the graphics card to work 100% properly with the proprietary drivers (on an Nvidia card) was a bit challenging, and took some time to make things work smoothly (figuring out the kernel .config modifications necessary to allow the system to boot with just the proprietary drivers was a fascinating challenge), but I feel that in this circumstance, I learned far more than I have ever learned with any other distro that I have tried, and now that I understand the configuration process involved, I believe that keeping the drivers working in future will be a much easier and simpler process to perform.
In either instance, I have heavily enjoyed the degree of customization possible. This sense of "everything in the system is mine, just the way that I like it" was why I originally used Arch (my previous distro), and why I eventually abandoned it for Gentoo (as I feel that Gentoo offers fuller and much better customizability). Also, I like to be able to have some confidence that on any given day, and after any given update, the system has a high chance of remaining stable (nothing unnecessarily major breaking), and other distros have not inspired such a degree of confidence in me. Another good point, is that when a major new technology is introduced (whatever the next equivalent of PulseAudio or systemd will be, for instance), if I do adopt it, it can and it will be on my terms and on my schedule, which will allow me to feel a true sense of "ownership" over the setup I have on my installation. Next, from Debian, to Ubuntu, to Fedora, to Arch, I feel that there is something just a bit "off" in their release policies or practices that prevents their claimed stability from working or occurring in the manner intended or stated. Gentoo's clear, well thought out, and well laid out release principles, which seem to a high degree to actually be followed, inspire in me a much greater confidence that my system can (and will) remain stable and reliable.
Finally, the community is a big part of why I joined. Everyone here seems friendly, welcoming, intelligent, tolerant, and to have a desire to both teach (whenever and however necessary) those that have a strong desire to learn, to carefully explain why something is being done incorrectly, or how something works, and to try their best to nurture a person's interest in mastering and using Gentoo. Having such an excellent community available to join will surely make my experience of using Gentoo, and of interacting with its users and developers, that much more pleasant.
With all of these pros (and so few possible cons by comparison), I think it is safe to say that I have found my home for the foreseeable future (however long I continue to use Linux, for however long that might be). I'm proud and glad to have been able to undertake and perform all of the necessary steps, and to be finally able to use a distro that really and truly feels "just right."
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trademark97,

Welcome to Gentoo.

Mixing stable and testing to any great extent is a recipe for slot collisions.
What happens is stable foo needs baz version A. testing bar need baz version B.
You can't have baz version A and baz version B installed together, so you can spend a lot of time resolving these conflicts.

Testing isn't quite stable but if you keep binary packages of everything you build, a downgrade when something breaks is fast and painless.
Also, only update when you have time to resolve issues.
That's not a recommendation to move to stable, just a few hints as to how to mitigate the issues that do bite from time to time.
As you rightly say, its your Gentoo your way.

Gentoo doesn't do releases, except for minimal ISOs and stage 3 tarballs. The master repository mirror updates every 30 minutes.

Enjoy your Gentoo.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
fturco
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Trademark97: welcome to Gentoo! :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: