Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Moving Window with help of keyboard shortcut (SOLVED oops :)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Moving Window with help of keyboard shortcut (SOLVED oops :) Reply with quote

So I know this isn't exactly the right place for things related to window managers that aren't "supported" but I thought I would try anyway since it is on my gentoo laptop that something had happened and I would like to try to get some guesses as to figuring out why maybe. I use wmx (a very old window manager), which sort of is and isn't the matter, but just the other day as I was toying with it a bunch I noticed that I suddenly HAD THE functionality that was usually missing in terms of utilizing some combination of mouse and keyboard to grab and move around the X windows.

Any idea why I may have suddenly gained it for a little bit of time, and then lost it again?

It would be nice to have this feature on all the time, which I thought was what I would have set the program to do when compiling, however until just yesterday the feature had never actually worked (or at least I don't recall it working). Why would it change suddenly? What would cause this type of behavior? The WM does have a keyboard control feature in the source that I compiled, but as I said that shouldn't be causing the issue!!!

Last edited by LIsLinuxIsSogood on Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured it out, for some reason there is an off on button for the "grabbing" windows activity, which makes use of all things the Num-lock. Weird (but I guess that is what happens when you compile your own windows manager from source code)
LinensRange786
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I be acquainted with this isn't closely the right place for things related to window managers that aren't "supported" but I thinking I would try anyway since it is on my gentoo laptop that amazing had happened and I would like to try to get some guess as to figure out why maybe.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I do see your point. Whatever experience you are after with linux, your opinion on the subject of desktop environments is so worth it. Personally, I do think it is a weak topic for the forum, but that's just my opinion, and my problem seems easily solved but it is amazing how most of the time they probably don't get resolved. If you haven't tried wmx I would recommend it as a good exercise in understanding the source language of a window manager, written in C. It is so simply written, I'm not a programmer and I can understand more than 60% of what is going on in the source directory.

I've tried other window managers as well, but at this point, there's few that I see as being valuable with some exception. The desktop management is also imporant I think.

Personally i like i3 window manager, but that is tiling manager and wmx more dynamic than that. On my desktop I'm going way back to an olden day time and using twm (tabbing window manager).
Hu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood: this is most likely a pre-spam reputation build up of some sort. The profile is not outright spam yet, nor has it posted any links, so no action has been taken, but the bizarre titles and vacuous content suggest LinensRange786 is not a real user.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: