[SOLVED] No sound devices in pavucontrol
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noqrax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] No sound devices in pavucontrol Reply with quote

Hello,

I have recently installed Gentoo, and after installing pulseaudio I found that there no sound cards in pavucontrol.
Code:
# lspci | grep Audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 06)

Most likely I missed kernel support for that type of card.
So I tried to make some modules (idk which one is required), and tried to modprobe them and restart pulseaudio.

It looks like I have to configure something or run some command to do it automatically.

So I will be really glad if you tell me what module I need, and how to load it without reloading kernelk (if possible).^o^x

Last edited by noqrax on Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi noqrax, sound problems are usually just about trying enough configurations out with either the pulseaudio or whatever else you may be using along with Pulseaudio as like if ALSA is a back end for the PA server for example, or there are some other software/driver combo doing the heavy lifting and Pulse then is just coming along for the ride.

Actually, I kind of like that analogy. Are you familiar with having used pulseaudio at all in the past? If not, then hopefully you tried to follow the wiki. I know that it does not cover all the important aspects, which is why this forum is here (of course), but at least if you followed that somewhat closely then it means that it makes life a bit easier when going to troubleshoot different factors that are contributing to the problem.

There may be a need to revisit the particulars for your case, but one reason that's not likely to be an issue with the kernel and why it is likely related to config of the software is because the pci lists the device there, but we would be able to tell for sure, if you posted the output for,

Code:
 lspci -nnk -s 00:1b.0

Then, if the issue is software related in general with pulse, and not with the kernel, here's some helpful tips for places to check, basically this is what I got for you...

Before going on to anything a quick check for the permissions to the sound card would help. This is a bit of a complication since pulseaudio introduces another layer when it comes to groups and users though, so let's hold off for now. We will want to come back and check on pulsaudio access to control the sound card (which is ultimately very important for it showing up!!)

Also, in addition to that fact, pulseaudio relies on some other system services to do the heavy lifting of permissions, within the session and that is consolekit and udev. I would check to make sure it is installed and if you check the pulseaudio page on the wiki it describes (I think) how to check the status oft he consolekit and query that.

Say that this is all good! But you are still not getting sound, now is when it gets interesting.

E.g. On my own system media-sound/pulseaudio, is one of many packages in addition I chose to run ALSA as the main audio server so I also needed media-sound/alsa-utils, and some other ALSA packages. Hence, you may want to check, and see what you are doing in this regard.

You can post back with some of the following answers:
Q: Are you using Pulseaudio with any other audio software (ALSA, OSS, jack, etc.) -- usually PA is considered the 'front-end' I think to those more primitive and extended pieces of software that are capable of far more configuration making them a pain in the you know what!!!

Q: Then how is pulseaudio configured? Please look for the conf files found at /etc/pulse) . And, if you are familiar posting using wgetpast or pastebin then do that for the contents of whichever files in there look like they may be off. ***Keep in mind, PA uses both the *.conf files in that folder usually, for client and daemon so you may need to consult the config for both of these. The *.pa files on the other hand are pulseaudio startup scripts and it is likely that you will use either one, but not both. The two files are for the system-wide running (which is not recommended) and the default or per-user basis (this one is the preferred method.

Maybe you can clarify whether the audio card works with some of this information, and whatever else may be the case...
noqrax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solved by applying recommendations for ALSA and PulseAudio from Gentoo wiki. I have missing kernel parts and also forget to apply user to audio group.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: