[SOLVED] Installation Media Problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZappingLinux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Installation Media Problems Reply with quote

Solution: Don't be a dumbass like me. Read the wiki, read the handbook. Read that the minimal install media can only boot from a legacy boot enabled system not UEFI....

So I have been working with Gentoo** for a while and I want to use it on my main* laptop since kali linux gave up on that thanks to a kernel update... (Stupid mistake by me). So I do what I did when I started installing gentoo on the laptop** I am typing this from.
Code:
GentooBox ~ # fdisk -l /dev/sdb
Disk /dev/sdb: 14.5 GiB, 15597568000 bytes, 30464000 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x06e78a97

Device     Boot Start    End Sectors  Size Id Type
/dev/sdb1  *        0 552959  552960  270M 17 Hidden HPFS/NTFS

and then. I have both the livecd and the minimal install so i wanted to do the minimal because the livecd froze when I ran lspci -k. or at least the terminal in the livecd crashed.
Code:

GentooBox ~ # dd if=/home/poro/Downloads/install-amd64-minimal-20170907.iso of=/dev/sdb status=progress

when the process is done however I can't boot from it and it just bails on everything altogether. Gparted says "Invalid partition table - recursive partition on /dev/sdb." when I want to have a look at the usb. And obviously trying to boot* from it returns fruitless results. So as a controll test I try it with a different OS. In my case NixOS** and this one has no errors at all and just boots*. So what is happening? Why are the liveCD's from gentoo so broken that I can't dd** them? Also when i try rufus on my windows* it returns an error of the same kind. What is going on? I have found before that I should use the rescueCD but I mean what is the point of having all these downloads available if none of them work?

*Info on my main laptop: it has a GPT partition table with EFI enabled.
**Info on my gentoo working laptop: GPT table no EFI.

So apparently I can't write** the minimalinstall media to a usb. Also what bothers me is that rufus* used to be able to write both the minimal install and the liveCD to a usb but now it doesn't. I know this because I have gotten gentoo working on this** laptop thanks to that.

Update:
Both the NixOS bootable media as the Gentoo media show a MBR partition table in the disks app.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: