Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Dantrell's GNOME Without Systemd Project (Part 1)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 27, 28, 29  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elleni wrote:
I am looking forward to test gnome3 without systemd :)

Volunteers are always welcome. :twisted:

saboya wrote:
I don't know if it's just me (searched for -gtk everywhere, couldn't find anything in my local files), but there might be some proifle adjustment needed

The gtk USE flag is not enabled by the project overlays to begin with (which would have the same effect as -gtk). This is intentional because the gtk USE flag does not always do what users would assume it does.

That was the initial rationale anyway. There has since been some gtk-related USE flag (i.e. gtk, gtk2 & gtk3) shuffling and I should probably review things.

For now, I have just adjusted the base profile to account for media-video/ffmpegthumbnailer.

simonvanderveldt wrote:
You can just add the "gtk" USE flag to media-video/ffmpegthumbnailer and that's it. It's one of those packages that has unnecessary REQUIRED_USE declared.

Generally speaking, if you don't get clean emerge output directly out-of-the-box after immediately activating the project overlays on a freshly extracted stage 3 tarball, you should let me know. It's a trivial issue, I know, but I like the out-of-box-experience to be as smooth as possible.

Granted, if you have an already working system it can be hard to tell if you should let me know so don't feel obligated to go out your way to test a recent stage 3 tarball when these kind of issues crop up. ;)
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dantrell, as said, I am trying to compile your gnome version without having combined the plasma and your profile. I opened a seprate thread for compile errors I have got: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1070934.html

In the meantime I found the path of your overlay including profiles in /var/lib/layman/dantrell-gnome/. Can you please give me a hand on howto combine profiles especially step 3 in the mentioned wiki? So I could go the way you suggested. Else I'll try to continue the way I started with manually added uses in make.conf and additionally the suggestions for package.mask/unmask/use/accept_keywords made by portage.

Btw. for For gnome-extra/gnome-color-manager-3.26.0 it seems that -lm flag is missing, but I got a workaround by fedeliallalinea, so it could be compiled successfully. Now gtk+ and nautilus are still failing.

Thanks again for your great work! :)
simonvanderveldt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
simonvanderveldt wrote:
You can just add the "gtk" USE flag to media-video/ffmpegthumbnailer and that's it. It's one of those packages that has unnecessary REQUIRED_USE declared.

Generally speaking, if you don't get clean emerge output directly out-of-the-box after immediately activating the project overlays on a freshly extracted stage 3 tarball, you should let me know. It's a trivial issue, I know, but I like the out-of-box-experience to be as smooth as possible.

I like this, really appreciate seeing someone with a focus on the user's experience!
I will post here if I run into a similar issue.

Something totally different, it seems like portage keeps going in circles for me regarding removing/adding dev-lang/vala versions. This time whilst emerging @world and doing a depclean portage did the following
Code:
+ emerge --ask --verbose --tree --update --changed-use --binpkg-changed-deps=y --deep --verbose-conflicts --with-bdeps=y @world

These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[nomerge       ] gnome-extra/nautilus-tracker-tags-1.8.3::dantrell-gnome-3-20
[nomerge       ]  gnome-base/nautilus-3.20.4::dantrell-gnome-3-20  USE="gnome introspection previewer -exif (-packagekit) (-selinux) -sendto {-test} -tracker -vanilla-icon -vanilla-icon-grid -vanilla-menu -vanilla-rename -vanilla-search -xmp"
[nomerge       ]   media-video/totem-3.20.1-r1::dantrell-gnome-3-20  USE="introspection nautilus python -debug -lirc {-test} -vanilla-thumbnailer -zeitgeist" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_4 (-python3_5) (-python3_6)" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_4 (-python3_5) (-python3_6)"
[nomerge       ]    media-plugins/grilo-plugins-0.3.5:0.3::dantrell-gnome  USE="gnome-online-accounts tracker upnp-av youtube (-chromaprint) -daap -dvd -examples -flickr -freebox (-lua) -subtitles -thetvdb -vimeo"
[nomerge       ]     app-misc/tracker-1.8.3-r1:0/100::dantrell-gnome-3-20  USE="cue flac gstreamer gtk iso jpeg miner-fs mp3 nautilus seccomp tiff vorbis xml -exif -ffmpeg -firefox-bookmarks -gif -gsf -iptc -libav -networkmanager -pdf -playlist -rss -stemmer {-test} -thunderbird -upnp-av -upower -xmp -xps"
[nomerge       ]      dev-lang/vala-0.38.2:0.38::dantrell-gnome [0.32.1:0.32::dantrell-gnome, 0.36.6:0.36::dantrell-gnome] USE="{-test}"
[binary  N     ]       media-gfx/graphviz-2.38.0-r1::gentoo  USE="cairo gtk nls -X -devil -doc -examples -gdk-pixbuf -gts -guile -java -lasi -pdf -perl -postscript -python -qt4 -ruby -static-libs -svg -tcl" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7" 0 KiB
[binary  N     ]        media-libs/gd-2.2.4:2/3::gentoo  USE="fontconfig jpeg png truetype zlib -static-libs -tiff -webp -xpm" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" 0 KiB
[nomerge       ] media-plugins/grilo-plugins-0.3.5:0.3::dantrell-gnome  USE="gnome-online-accounts tracker upnp-av youtube (-chromaprint) -daap -dvd -examples -flickr -freebox (-lua) -subtitles -thetvdb -vimeo"
[nomerge       ]  net-misc/dleyna-server-0.5.0::dantrell-gnome
[nomerge       ]   media-libs/gupnp-dlna-0.10.5:2.0::gentoo  USE="introspection"
[binary  NS    ]    dev-lang/vala-0.34.11:0.34::dantrell-gnome [0.32.1:0.32::dantrell-gnome, 0.36.6:0.36::dantrell-gnome] USE="{-test}" 0 KiB
[nomerge       ] media-gfx/simple-scan-3.20.0::dantrell-gnome-3-20  USE="-colord (-packagekit)"
[nomerge       ]  dev-libs/libgusb-0.2.11::dantrell-gnome  USE="introspection vala -static-libs" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)"
[binary  NS    ]   dev-lang/vala-0.38.2:0.38::dantrell-gnome [0.32.1:0.32::dantrell-gnome, 0.36.6:0.36::dantrell-gnome] USE="{-test}" 0 KiB

>>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:

dev-lang/vala
    selected: 0.36.6
   protected: none
     omitted: 0.32.1 0.34.11 0.38.2

All selected packages: =dev-lang/vala-0.36.6

If I then immediately afterwards emerge @world and depclean again this is what I get:
Code:
~ ❯ sudo emerge --ask --verbose --tree --update --changed-use --binpkg-changed-deps=y --deep --verbose-conflicts --with-bdeps=y @world

These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[nomerge       ] gnome-base/gnome-light-3.20.0:2.0::dantrell-gnome-3-20  USE="cups gnome-shell"
[nomerge       ]  gnome-base/nautilus-3.20.4::dantrell-gnome-3-20  USE="gnome introspection previewer -exif (-packagekit) (-selinux) -sendto {-test} -tracker -vanilla-icon -vanilla-icon-grid -vanilla-menu -vanilla-rename -vanilla-search -xmp"
[nomerge       ]   media-video/totem-3.20.1-r1::dantrell-gnome-3-20  USE="introspection nautilus python -debug -lirc {-test} -vanilla-thumbnailer -zeitgeist" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_4 (-python3_5) (-python3_6)" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_4 (-python3_5) (-python3_6)"
[nomerge       ]    media-plugins/grilo-plugins-0.3.5:0.3::dantrell-gnome  USE="gnome-online-accounts tracker upnp-av youtube (-chromaprint) -daap -dvd -examples -flickr -freebox (-lua) -subtitles -thetvdb -vimeo"
[nomerge       ]     net-misc/dleyna-server-0.5.0::dantrell-gnome
[nomerge       ]      media-libs/gupnp-dlna-0.10.5:2.0::gentoo  USE="introspection"
[binary  NS    ]       dev-lang/vala-0.36.6:0.36::dantrell-gnome [0.32.1:0.32::dantrell-gnome, 0.34.11:0.34::dantrell-gnome, 0.38.2:0.38::dantrell-gnome] USE="{-test}" 0 KiB

>>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:

dev-lang/vala
    selected: 0.36.6
   protected: none
     omitted: 0.32.1 0.34.11 0.38.2

All selected packages: =dev-lang/vala-0.36.6

Any idea what could be causing this?
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
skyrrd wrote:
first i had to edit your gtk+ ebuild and comment out removal of marshalers or it would fail to build

This is covered by Gentoo bug #629778 and GNOME bug #662109.

I'm going to sit on it for a bit while I investigate.

I decided to patch the relevant files myself.

dantrell wrote:
skyrrd wrote:
adding my google account in gnome-control-center it crashes with segfault
reopening it shows that the account has been added successfully.

Looks like GNOME bug #789141. I'll watch out for a fix.

I applied a fix.

Elleni wrote:
I opened a seprate thread for compile errors I have got: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1070934.html

There really wasn't a need to open a second thread but since you did, I'll follow up there.

simonvanderveldt wrote:
Any idea what could be causing this?

Yep. The short of it is that eclasses in the main portage tree which specify version ranges for packages will compete with equivalent eclasses in overlays if the version ranges differ.

In relation to the project overlays, this happens when version ranges in the overlays go ahead of what's in the mainline tree (e.g. we have vala:0.38 while the mainline tree is still on 0.36).

There are two solutions to preventing the flip-flopping:

1. Wait for the mainline tree to catch up.

2. Fork all packages that use the affected eclass.

I have been using option #2 all this time and a recent checks shows that two packages are unaccounted for. Problem is, I don't see them in your emerge output, although, that doesn't mean they aren't the problem so sync up and see if that does it.
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I successfully build gnome from your overlay, and can start it with startx from console after having added gnome-session to .xinitrc. I can start it also from sddm. But gdm fails to start, and loops, so I cannot even interrupt it, reboot with ctrl+alt+delete ist still possible though. Is this a known issue, and how can I fix that?

A minor issue was that the X to close a window was not visible, so I in tweaktool I changed symbols from Gnome to Breeze to get the close windows X back. And in account settings, I realize, I cannot unlock it, for ex. to enable automatic login. Then I wanted to activate alternative status menu extension, but it was not in the list of shell extensions, and it could not be installed from extensions.gnome.org eather, so I suppose this extension is not compatible with 3.26? I have seen, that suspend to ram works with Alt Button, but I would like the option to suspend to disk. To change the policy to single click, I had to do
Code:
gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.preferences  click-policy single
from a console, as I did not find any setting anywhere.
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elleni wrote:
I successfully build gnome from your overlay, and can start it with startx from console after having added gnome-session to .xinitrc. I can start it also from sddm. But gdm fails to start, and loops, so I cannot even interrupt it, reboot with ctrl+alt+delete ist still possible though. Is this a known issue, and how can I fix that?

Not a known issue. I'm going to say there's a conflict with Plasma that's probably display manager or ConsoleKit/elogind related.

If SDDM works. Maybe just use that? It's the preferred option for Plasma and is apparently compatible with GNOME.

Elleni wrote:
A minor issue was that the X to close a window was not visible, so I in tweaktool I changed symbols from Gnome to Breeze to get the close windows X back. And in account settings, I realize, I cannot unlock it, for ex. to enable automatic login. Then I wanted to activate alternative status menu extension, but it was not in the list of shell extensions, and it could not be installed from extensions.gnome.org eather, so I suppose this extension is not compatible with 3.26?

Welcome to GNOME 3.26? :lol:

Elleni wrote:
I have seen, that suspend to ram works with Alt Button, but I would like the option to suspend to disk.

The elogind implementations (or vanilla GNOME for that matter) don't expose the hibernate functionality when the ALT button is held.

Porting it over is easy enough I suppose. I'll review this.

Elleni wrote:
To change the policy to single click, I had to do [...] from a console, as I did not find any setting anywhere.

It's there:

1. Start Nautilus.
2. Click "Files" on the top bar then "Preferences".
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:

Not a known issue. I'm going to say there's a conflict with Plasma that's probably display manager or ConsoleKit/elogind related.

If SDDM works. Maybe just use that? It's the preferred option for Plasma and is apparently compatible with GNOME.
Sure :) I thought, I should report anyway.
dantrell wrote:

Welcome to GNOME 3.26? :lol:

:twisted:
dantrell wrote:
Porting it over is easy enough I suppose. I'll review this.

Thank you

dantrell wrote:

1. Start Nautilus.
2. Click "Files" on the top bar then "Preferences".

Got it, that was not obvious :)
cono
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: webkit-gtk-2.18.1 fails with gst egl missing Reply with quote

Just recently found issue with webkit-gtk.

Almost at the end of compilation it fails with the following error:
Code:

/var/tmp/portage/net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.18.1/work/webkitgtk-2.18.1/Source/WebCore/platform/graphics/gstreamer/MediaPlayerPrivateGStreamerBase.cpp:80:41: fatal error: gst/gl/egl/gstgldisplay_egl.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

Fixed with this USE flag:
Code:

media-libs/gst-plugins-bad      egl

Not sure where to add this as dependency, as webkit depends only on mesa[egl], so it somewhere deeper.

p.s. Thanks again for your work :)
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How comes, I cannot shutdown with gui, suspend-to-ram works, but when pushing the shutdown or reboot button from the top right corner nothing happens.

following an rc-update to ask for services, not needed in gnome? Or missing ones?

Code:
 NetworkManager |      default                           
                acpid |      default                           
               binfmt | boot                                   
             bootmisc | boot                                   
           consolekit |      default                           
                cupsd |      default                           
                 dbus |      default                           
                devfs |                                 sysinit
                dmesg |                                 sysinit
           fbcondecor | boot default                           
                 fsck | boot                                   
             hostname | boot                                   
              hwclock | boot                                   
              keymaps | boot                                   
            killprocs |                        shutdown       
    kmod-static-nodes |                                 sysinit
                local |      default nonetwork                 
           localmount | boot                                   
             loopback | boot                                   
                mdadm |      default                           
              modules | boot                                   
             mount-ro |                        shutdown       
                 mtab | boot                                   
             netmount |      default                           
     openrc-settingsd |      default                           
     opentmpfiles-dev |                                 sysinit
   opentmpfiles-setup | boot                                   
               procfs | boot                                   
                 root | boot                                   
                saned |      default                           
            savecache |                        shutdown       
                 swap | boot                                   
               sysctl | boot                                   
                sysfs |                                 sysinit
            syslog-ng |      default                           
         termencoding | boot                                   
                 udev |                                 sysinit
         udev-trigger |                                 sysinit
              urandom | boot                                   
           vixie-cron |      default                           
                  xdm |      default

And which logs could help to analyze further. dmesg, /var/log/messages ?
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
I built the full GNOME 3.26 "suite" and from my testing, about 6 packages fail to start for various reasons:
  • GNOME Books (GNOME Documents)
  • GNOME Boxes
  • GNOME Notes (Bijiben)
  • GNOME Photos
  • GNOME To Do
  • GNOME Tweak Tool
I'll be correcting this over time.

GNOME Books was due to a missing dependency so we are down to 2 now. 8O

cono wrote:
Not sure where to add this as dependency, as webkit depends only on mesa[egl], so it somewhere deeper.

It's already in net-libs/webkit-gtk and is triggered when both the egl and gstreamer USE flags are enabled.

Although, I recently enforced it in the base profile just in case.

Sync up? :wink:

Elleni wrote:
Or missing ones?

The elogind service is missing.

Probably the cause of your GDM problem as well.
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added elogind again, but still the same, no shutdown or reboot, and gdm still looping.

Another feature it seems to be missing in the multimonitor setup, is the ability to mirror monitors. I searched around in google, and I just dont have this option.
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elleni wrote:
Added elogind again, but still the same, no shutdown or reboot, and gdm still looping.

Maybe the consolekit service needs to be stopped or even removed (although the latter might fix GNOME and break Plasma)?

I'm really just guessing at this point. The only way for me to get an answer is to install Plasma myself and reproduce your issues.

But since I'm sure GNOME works if you followed the official documentation and I'm you had Plasma working fine before you started, the problem is somewhere between the combination of the two. Thankfully, the issues are relatively trivial and 99.99% of the rest is working.

Elleni wrote:
Another feature it seems to be missing in the multimonitor setup, is the ability to mirror monitors. I searched around in google, and I just dont have this option.

It's playing hide and seek too:

Code:
Settings -> Devices -> Displays

If multiple devices are detected, "Display Mode" and Display Arrangement" will show up like so.
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, and I am asking myself, if there is any of the older GNOME versions considered stable, so I could look and see, wether it works better for me?

I was thinking the same thing, as stoping consolekit did not help eather to start gdm.
Maybe I should setup a vm and remove plasma to see where it gets. Or maybe temporary just set -consolekit in make conf, and re-emerge world and unmerge consolekit?

I know that there should be the option to mirror screens, but it does not show up here, i ll paste a screenshot this evening, when I ll habe access to that box.
ZappingLinux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright so I just did an emerge --sync and an system update on all my packages. When I run etc-update it tells me
Code:

sudo etc-update
Scanning Configuration files...
The following is the list of files which need updating, each
configuration file is followed by a list of possible replacement files.
1) /etc/conf.d/xdm (1)
Please select a file to edit by entering the corresponding number.
              (don't use -3, -5, -7 or -9 if you're unsure what to do)
              (-1 to exit) (-3 to auto merge all files)
                           (-5 to auto-merge AND not use 'mv -i')
                           (-7 to discard all updates)
                           (-9 to discard all updates AND not use 'rm -i'): 1

Showing differences between /etc/conf.d/xdm and /etc/conf.d/._cfg0000_xdm
--- /etc/conf.d/xdm   2017-10-15 13:31:52.133010099 +0200
+++ /etc/conf.d/._cfg0000_xdm   2017-10-23 17:53:04.619045594 +0200
@@ -7,4 +7,4 @@

# What display manager do you use ?  [ xdm | gdm | kdm | gpe | entrance ]
 # NOTE: If this is set in /etc/rc.conf, that setting will override this one.
-DISPLAYMANAGER="gdm"
+DISPLAYMANAGER="xdm"

File: /etc/conf.d/._cfg0000_xdm
1) Replace original with update
2) Delete update, keeping original as is
3) Interactively merge original with update
4) Show differences again
5) Save update as example config
Please select from the menu above (-1 to ignore this update): -1

Exiting: Nothing left to do; exiting. :)
NOTE: 1 updates remaining

Now I don't believe I want to change the displaymanager right?
Juippisi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Elleni:
I got both gnome-without-systemd and kde plasma to work with elogind. Yeah, you have to make sure everything is emerged with "-consolekit elogind" and you have to remove consolekit. Also, Im not sure, but I think plasma requires a newer consolekit than dantrell-gnome offers. So if you are using Gnome-3.24 or higher, elogind should work.

@ZappingLinux:
Yes, thats a default behaviour when you have modified a default configuration file. You most likely dont want to change it.
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juippisi, thanks for hint, I have added "-consolekit elogind" to the uses in my make.conf and only following packages will be re-emerged when updating world. I ll report here, if those changes did solve my issues :)

Code:
These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies                            ... done!         
[ebuild     U  ] dev-util/pkgconfig-0.29.2::gentoo [0.28-r2::gentoo] USE="-hardened -internal-glib" ABI_X86="32 (64) (-x32)" 0 KiB
[ebuild     U  ] net-misc/curl-7.56.1::gentoo [7.55.1::gentoo] USE="ipv6 ldap ssh ssl -adns -http2 -idn -kerberos -metalink -rtmp -samba -static-libs {-test} -threads" ABI_X86="32 (64) (-x32)" CURL_SSL="openssl -axtls -gnutls (-libressl) -mbedtls -nss (-winssl)" 1'408 KiB
[ebuild     U  ] net-misc/wget-1.19.1-r2::gentoo [1.19.1-r1::gentoo] USE="gnutls ipv6 nls pcre ssl zlib -debug -idn (-libressl) -ntlm -static {-test} -uuid" 0 KiB
[ebuild     U  ] media-gfx/sane-backends-1.0.27::gentoo [1.0.25-r1::gentoo] USE="ipv6 usb -gphoto2 -snmp -systemd -threads -v4l -xinetd -zeroconf (-doc%) (-nls%*)" ABI_X86="32 (64) (-x32)" SANE_BACKENDS="pixma -abaton -agfafocus -apple -artec -artec_eplus48u -as6e -avision -bh -canon -canon630u -canon_dr -canon_pp -cardscan -coolscan -coolscan2 -coolscan3 -dc210 -dc240 -dc25 -dell1600n_net -dmc -epjitsu -epson -epson2 -fujitsu -genesys -gt68xx -hp -hp3500 -hp3900 -hp4200 -hp5400 -hp5590 -hpljm1005 -hpsj5s -hs2p -ibm -kodak -kodakaio -kvs1025 -kvs20xx -kvs40xx -leo -lexmark -ma1509 -magicolor -matsushita -microtek -microtek2 -mustek -mustek_pp -mustek_usb -mustek_usb2 -nec -net -niash -p5 -pie -plustek -plustek_pp -pnm -qcam -ricoh -rts8891 -s9036 -sceptre -sharp -sm3600 -sm3840 -snapscan -sp15c -st400 -stv680 -tamarack -teco1 -teco2 -teco3 {-test} -u12 -umax -umax1220u -umax_pp -xerox_mfp" 6'280 KiB
[ebuild     U  ] media-sound/lame-3.100::gentoo [3.99.5-r1::gentoo] USE="frontend -debug -mp3rtp -sndfile -static-libs" ABI_X86="32 (64) (-x32)" CPU_FLAGS_X86="(-mmx)" 1'489 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] lxde-base/lxdm-0.4.1-r9::gentoo  USE="gtk3 nls pam -consolekit* -debug" 0 KiB
[ebuild     U  ] net-dns/avahi-0.7::gentoo [0.6.32::gentoo] USE="dbus gdbm gtk gtk3 introspection ipv6 nls qt4 -autoipd -bookmarks -doc -howl-compat -mdnsresponder-compat -mono -python (-selinux) {-test} (-utils%)" ABI_X86="32 (64) (-x32)" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7" 919 KiB
[ebuild     U  ] media-gfx/fontforge-20170731::gentoo [20160404::gentoo] USE="X cairo gif gtk jpeg png python readline svg tiff unicode {-test%} -truetype-debugger" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_4 -python2_7 (-python3_5)" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_4 (-python3_5)" 13'658 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] x11-misc/sddm-0.15.0::gentoo  USE="pam -consolekit* (-elogind) -systemd" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] app-misc/tracker-2.0.1:0/100::dantrell-gnome-3-26  USE="exif ffmpeg flac gif gtk iso jpeg miner-fs mp3 pdf seccomp tiff upower vorbis xml -cue -gsf -gstreamer -iptc -libav -networkmanager -playlist -rss -stemmer {-test} -upnp-av -xmp -xps (-firefox-bookmarks%) (-thunderbird%)" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] app-misc/tracker-miners-2.0.2-r1:0/100::dantrell-gnome-3-26  3'568 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] kde-plasma/powerdevil-5.10.5:5::gentoo  USE="handbook wireless -consolekit* -debug" 0 KiB

Total: 12 packages (7 upgrades, 1 new, 4 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 27'318 KiB

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No]
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mhm, still the same thing, consolekit now unmerged, and plasma still works with elogind. But gdm still looping. Still no shutdown or reboot with buttons from top right corner. And still missing option to change from mirror to extend in monitor settings as shown here:

https://imagebin.ca/v/3fHfjVvwi0Su
Juippisi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally used sddm when I had both gnome-without-systemd and plasma installed. Both sessions worked. Here's something weird about your sddm,
Code:

[ebuild   R    ] x11-misc/sddm-0.15.0::gentoo  USE="pam -consolekit* (-elogind) -systemd" 0 KiB

the elogind USE flag is masked. If you want to use sddm (it worked better than gdm for me) you need to unmask the elogind USE flag for it. Also, your sddm is old, 0.16.1 is available in Gentoo's portage.

Can you paste the output of few commands?
Code:

emerge -pv gdm gnome-shell accountsservice polkit pambase elogind consolekit

grep DISPLAYMANAGER /etc/conf.d/xdm

rc-status

rc-update

Also I know Gnome-3.22 works perfectly with consolekit but I cant guarantee plasma works with the older consolekit anymore that is perhaps needed(?) for gnome-3.22.
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I am on ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64" - maybe thats why 0.15 seems old to you ? Are you on ~amd64?

I have seen this too (-elogind), and dont know, why it is like this, but sddm works - I can login with plasma or gnome, thats not a problem, What does not work is gdm. When I try gdm, it loops, and starts every some seconds, I cant interrupt it, and have to reboot with ctrl+alt+del. Also - from logged in gnome, I cannot shutdown via gui, but have to either log off (that works) or shutdown by terminal. And then some other minor things like missing the option to set mirror instead of extended for two monitors.

Where it should look https://itsfoss.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/display-settings-GNOME-3-26.jpeg, here it looks like this: https://imagebin.ca/v/3fHfjVvwi0Su

emerge -pv gdm gnome-shell accountsservice polkit pambase elogind consolekit
Code:

Calculating dependencies ... done!             
[ebuild   R    ] sys-auth/pambase-20150213-r1::dantrell-gnome  USE="cracklib gnome-keyring nullok sha512 (-consolekit) -debug (-elogind) -minimal -mktemp -pam_krb5 -pam_ssh -passwdqc -securetty (-selinux) -systemd" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R   *] sys-auth/elogind-234.4::dantrell-gnome  USE="acl pam (policykit) -debug (-selinux)" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] sys-auth/polkit-0.113-r4::gentoo  USE="elogind gtk introspection kde nls pam -examples -jit (-selinux) -systemd {-test}" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R   *] sys-apps/accountsservice-0.6.45-r3::dantrell-gnome  USE="elogind introspection (-consolekit) -doc (-selinux) -systemd" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N    #] sys-auth/consolekit-1.2.0::gentoo  USE="acl pam (policykit) udev -cgroups -debug -doc -evdev -pm-utils (-selinux) {-test}" 1'100 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-base/gnome-shell-3.26.1::dantrell-gnome-3-26  USE="bluetooth ibus networkmanager -browser-extension (-deprecated-background) (-elogind) -nsplugin -systemd -vanilla-motd -vanilla-screen" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_4 (-python3_5) (-python3_6)" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-base/gdm-3.26.1::dantrell-gnome-3-26  USE="branding introspection ipv6 tcpd xinerama -accessibility -audit (-elogind) -fprint -plymouth (-selinux) -smartcard -systemd {-test} -wayland" 0 KiB                                                                               

Total: 7 packages (1 new, 6 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 1'100 KiB

grep DISPLAYMANAGER /etc/conf.d/xdm
Code:

DISPLAYMANAGER="sddm"

rc-status
Code:
rc-status
Runlevel: default
 fbcondecor                                                                                                                          [  started  ]
 dbus                                                                                                                                [  started  ]
 elogind                                                                                                                             [  started  ]
 syslog-ng                                                                                                                           [  started  ]
 acpid                                                                                                                               [  started  ]
 NetworkManager                                                                                                                      [  started  ]
 cupsd                                                                                                                               [  started  ]
 mdadm                                                                                                                               [  started  ]
 netmount                                                                                                                            [  started  ]
 openrc-settingsd                                                                                                                    [  started  ]
 saned                                                                                                                               [  started  ]
 vixie-cron                                                                                                                          [  started  ]
 xdm                                                                                                                                 [  started  ]
 local                                                                                                                               [  started  ]
Dynamic Runlevel: hotplugged
Dynamic Runlevel: needed/wanted
 xdm-setup                                                                                                                           [  started  ]
 modules-load                                                                                                                        [  started  ]
Dynamic Runlevel: manual

rc-update
Code:
rc-update
       NetworkManager |      default                           
                acpid |      default                           
               binfmt | boot                                   
             bootmisc | boot                                   
                cupsd |      default                           
                 dbus |      default                           
                devfs |                                 sysinit
                dmesg |                                 sysinit
              elogind |      default                           
           fbcondecor | boot default                           
                 fsck | boot                                   
             hostname | boot                                   
              hwclock | boot                                   
              keymaps | boot                                   
            killprocs |                        shutdown       
    kmod-static-nodes |                                 sysinit
                local |      default nonetwork                 
           localmount | boot                                   
             loopback | boot                                   
                mdadm |      default                           
              modules | boot                                   
             mount-ro |                        shutdown       
                 mtab | boot                                   
             netmount |      default                           
     openrc-settingsd |      default                           
     opentmpfiles-dev |                                 sysinit
   opentmpfiles-setup | boot                                   
               procfs | boot                                   
                 root | boot                                   
                saned |      default                           
            savecache |                        shutdown       
                 swap | boot                                   
               sysctl | boot                                   
                sysfs |                                 sysinit
            syslog-ng |      default                           
         termencoding | boot                                   
                 udev |                                 sysinit
         udev-trigger |                                 sysinit
              urandom | boot                                   
           vixie-cron |      default                           
                  xdm |      default

It makes no difference, wether I have consolekit useflag set, and service started or not. The problems remain the same.
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elleni wrote:
I have seen this too (-elogind), and dont know, why it is like this, but sddm works - I can login with plasma or gnome, thats not a problem, What does not work is gdm.

Even if SDDM or Plasma works, that does not mean it's working with elogind. There's generally fallback code somewhere in cases like these. But GDM, last I checked, doesn't have any fallback code and thus hard depends on a logind implementation (and subsequently hard fails).

It's obvious now that your issue is most likely due to the elogind USE flag being masked. The project overlays unmask this but it isn't being reflected in the combined profile so I'm starting to think some files can be inherited while others can't. You can unmask the elogind USE flag but I don't know what else the combined profile is missing so I'm going to do some testing.

Edit: That was easy. It was an inheritance issue but only because the ordered mattered in what took precedence. When you rebuild, these are the packages you should look out for:

Code:
gnome-base/gdm
gnome-base/gnome-control-center
gnome-base/gnome-session
gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon
gnome-base/gnome-shell
media-libs/clutter
net-misc/networkmanager
sys-apps/accountsservice
sys-apps/dbus
sys-auth/elogind
sys-auth/pambase
sys-auth/polkit
sys-fs/udisks
x11-misc/sddm

I'm going to do a little more testing before linking you a new tarball.

Edit: Done. Put it in the same location after moving the existing folder to test.bak if not outright deleting it. As always, check every file. Which reminds me, you can remove that symlink as the paths should be correct this time (probably). :lol:

Elleni wrote:
And then some other minor things like missing the option to set mirror instead of extended for two monitors.

I checked where the code was redesign between GNOME 3.24 and 3.26 and it seems consistent. This is looking like the problem is on your end where the conditions necessary for GNOME to detect multiple monitors aren't being met (e.g. if something else is managing the monitors, GNOME won't).
Juippisi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I think your elogind is recent enough, so it would need to be in boot runlevel not default.

Code:

rc-update del elogind default
rc-update add elogind boot

This changed in some recent update.
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juippisi wrote:
This changed in some recent update.

I just checked the elogind Wiki page and it does suggest being slotted in the boot runlevel.

From my testing though, I haven't noticed a problem with it being slotted in the default runlevel as it still starts before xdm (and before the usage of startx).
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dantrell, thanks again for providing an updated tarball. Following packages need rebuild, this time with elogind use active as expected:
Code:

Calculating dependencies  ... done!           
[ebuild   R    ] media-libs/harfbuzz-1.4.6-r2:0/0.9.18::gentoo  USE="cairo glib icu introspection truetype -debug -fontconfig -graphite* -static-libs {-test}" ABI_X86="32 (64) (-x32)" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] sys-apps/dbus-1.10.18::gentoo  USE="X elogind* -debug -doc (-selinux) -static-libs (-systemd) {-test} -user-session" ABI_X86="32 (64) (-x32)" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] net-libs/libpcap-1.8.1::gentoo  USE="bluetooth* dbus usb -netlink -static-libs" ABI_X86="32 (64) (-x32)" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] x11-themes/adwaita-icon-theme-3.26.0::dantrell-gnome-3-26  USE="branding" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] media-libs/clutter-1.26.2:1.0::dantrell-gnome  USE="X elogind* gtk introspection (-aqua) -debug -doc -egl {-test} -wayland" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] sys-auth/pambase-20150213-r1::dantrell-gnome  USE="cracklib elogind* gnome-keyring nullok sha512 (-consolekit) -debug -minimal -mktemp -pam_krb5 -pam_ssh -passwdqc -securetty (-selinux) (-systemd)" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] x11-misc/colord-1.3.5:0/2::dantrell-gnome  USE="gusb* introspection (policykit) scanner udev vala -argyllcms -examples -extra-print-profiles (-systemd)" ABI_X86="32 (64) (-x32)" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] sys-fs/udisks-2.6.5:2::dantrell-gnome  USE="acl elogind* gptfdisk introspection nls -cryptsetup -debug -lvm (-selinux) (-systemd)" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] app-admin/packagekit-base-1.1.6:0/18::dantrell-gnome  USE="elogind* introspection -command-not-found -connman (-consolekit) -cron (-entropy) -networkmanager (-systemd) {-test} -vala" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] x11-misc/sddm-0.15.0::gentoo  USE="elogind* pam (-consolekit) (-systemd)" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon-3.26.1::dantrell-gnome-3-26  USE="colord cups elogind* (policykit) udev -debug -networkmanager -smartcard (-systemd) {-test} -wayland" INPUT_DEVICES="-wacom" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-base/gnome-session-3.26.1::dantrell-gnome-3-26  USE="elogind* ipv6 (-consolekit) -doc -gconf (-systemd) -wayland" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-base/gnome-control-center-3.26.1:2::dantrell-gnome-3-26  USE="bluetooth colord cups elogind* gnome-online-accounts ibus networkmanager -debug -kerberos -libinput (-systemd) -v4l -vanilla-datetime -vanilla-hostname -wayland" INPUT_DEVICES="-wacom" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-base/gnome-shell-3.26.1::dantrell-gnome-3-26  USE="bluetooth elogind* ibus networkmanager -browser-extension (-deprecated-background) -nsplugin (-systemd) -vanilla-motd -vanilla-screen" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_4 (-python3_5) (-python3_6)" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] gnome-base/gdm-3.26.1::dantrell-gnome-3-26  USE="branding elogind* introspection ipv6 tcpd xinerama -accessibility -audit -fprint -plymouth (-selinux) -smartcard (-systemd) {-test} -wayland" 0 KiB

Total: 15 packages (1 new, 14 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 KiB

Quote:
...where the conditions necessary for GNOME to detect multiple monitors aren't being met

Hm, I have no idea, what could prevent gnome from detecting multiple monitors. I ll check after update if this is still the case. I can switch monitors on and off within gnome, just mirroring / extend option is still missing. Maybe its a problem of some useflags that in combined profile had to be disabled because of circular dependencies ?

Finished re-emerging, here the results:

- gdm is starting now :) (in fact, I realized, that it only starts when put gdm as variable for DISPLAYMANAGER in /etc/conf.d/xdm, but it fails to start and loops, when trying to start it via console after root login and tapping gdm and Enter)
- User account settings are now possible to activate. :)
- For the missing suspend-to-disk - I found hibernate status button extension :)

- Monitor settings still with reduced functionality.
Where it should look https://itsfoss.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/display-settings-GNOME-3-26.jpeg, here it still looks like this: https://imagebin.ca/v/3fHfjVvwi0Su

I also tried to login with a user with empty userhome, in order to see, wether if it is a userspecific problem, but it is not. Same thing.

I dont know if any of these are related but I see the following red messages in dmesg:
Code:
[    0.120083] acpi LNXCPU:00: Invalid PBLK length [7]
[    0.120094] acpi LNXCPU:01: Invalid PBLK length [7]
[    0.120243] ACPI: PCI Root Bridge [PCI0] (domain 0000 [bus 00-ff])
[    0.120250] acpi PNP0A08:00: _OSC: OS supports [ExtendedConfig ASPM ClockPM Segments MSI]
[    0.120257] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): \_SB.PCI0._OSC: Excess arguments - ASL declared 5, ACPI requires 4 (20170303/nsarguments-189)
[    0.120303] ACPI Error: [CAPD] Namespace lookup failure, AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20170303/dsfield-211)
[    0.120312] ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed [\_SB.PCI0._OSC] (Node ffff88020f42bde8), AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20170303/psparse-543)
[    0.120325] acpi PNP0A08:00: _OSC failed (AE_ALREADY_EXISTS); disabling ASPM
[    0.120336] acpi PNP0A08:00: [Firmware Info]: MMCONFIG for domain 0000 [bus 00-3f] only partially covers this bridge
Code:

[    0.192165] [drm] initializing kernel modesetting (VERDE 0x1002:0x683F 0x1787:0x7250 0x00).
[    0.192194] radeon 0000:01:00.0: Invalid PCI ROM data signature: expecting 0x52494350, got 0xe808aa55

Code:
[    2.856352] fbcon: radeondrmfb (fb0) is primary device
[    2.908381] [drm:atombios_crtc_mode_fixup] *ERROR* unable to allocate a PPLL
[    2.908385] [drm:drm_crtc_helper_set_config] *ERROR* failed to set mode on [CRTC:41:crtc-2]
[    2.908418] [drm:atombios_crtc_mode_fixup] *ERROR* unable to allocate a PPLL
[    2.908420] [drm:drm_crtc_helper_set_config] *ERROR* failed to set mode on [CRTC:41:crtc-2]
[    2.910930] Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 160x64
[    2.910944] [drm:atombios_crtc_mode_fixup] *ERROR* unable to allocate a PPLL
[    2.910946] [drm:drm_crtc_helper_set_config] *ERROR* failed to set mode on [CRTC:41:crtc-2]

Code:
[    3.219499] i2c-parport: adapter type unspecified
[    3.220329] i2c-parport-light: adapter type unspecified

Code:
[    4.127505] [drm:atombios_crtc_mode_fixup] *ERROR* unable to allocate a PPLL
[    4.128503] [drm:drm_crtc_helper_set_config] *ERROR* failed to set mode on [CRTC:41:crtc-2]

Code:
[    5.284960] cgroup: cgroup2: unknown option "nsdelegate"

Code:
[    5.766023] [drm:atombios_crtc_mode_fixup] *ERROR* unable to allocate a PPLL
[    5.766026] [drm:drm_crtc_helper_set_config] *ERROR* failed to set mode on [CRTC:41:crtc-2]

Code:
[   12.530312] [drm:atombios_crtc_mode_fixup] *ERROR* unable to allocate a PPLL
[   12.530317] [drm:drm_crtc_helper_set_config] *ERROR* failed to set mode on [CRTC:41:crtc-2]
[   12.574448] [drm:atombios_crtc_mode_fixup] *ERROR* unable to allocate a PPLL
[   12.574452] [drm:drm_crtc_helper_set_config] *ERROR* failed to set mode on [CRTC:41:crtc-2]
[   13.000428] radeon_dp_aux_transfer_native: 74 callbacks suppressed
[   13.367626] [drm:atombios_crtc_mode_fixup] *ERROR* unable to allocate a PPLL
[   13.367633] [drm:drm_crtc_helper_set_config] *ERROR* failed to set mode on [CRTC:41:crtc-2]
[   13.975457] fuse init (API version 7.26)
[   20.016428] radeon_dp_aux_transfer_native: 116 callbacks suppressed

Which logs could help to find out why I cannot switch monitors to mirror mode ?

cat /var/log/gdm/greeter.log | wgetpaste
https://paste.pound-python.org/show/zpPsPqSrU85f0yE6kaPu/

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | wgetpaste
https://paste.pound-python.org/show/KtYrXEezne55bG1C607K/

When launching gnome-control-center with -v and going to Displays - there is the following output:

Code:
gnome-control-center -v
** (gnome-control-center:21695): DEBUG: Enabling debugging
(gnome-control-center:21695): printers-cc-panel-DEBUG: Could not check 'Clean' maintenance command: Vorgang wurde abgebrochen
(gnome-control-center:21695): display-cc-panel-DEBUG: setting adjustment 20.000 to 20:00
(gnome-control-center:21695): display-cc-panel-DEBUG: setting adjustment 6.000 to 6:00
(gnome-control-center:21695): display-cc-panel-DEBUG: SensorProxy vanished
(gnome-control-center:21695): display-cc-panel-DEBUG: Has no accelerometer
(gnome-control-center:21695): display-cc-panel-DEBUG: setting adjustment -1.000 to -1:00
(gnome-control-center:21695): display-cc-panel-DEBUG: setting adjustment -1.000 to -1:00
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elleni wrote:
gdm is starting now :) (in fact, I realized, that it only starts when put gdm as variable for DISPLAYMANAGER in /etc/conf.d/xdm, but it fails to start and loops, when trying to start it via console after root login and tapping gdm and Enter)

So it was mostly your fault. I hope you are happy. :twisted:

Elleni wrote:
I dont know if any of these are related but I see the following red messages in dmesg

That's a lot of red but none of it seems relevant to your issue.

Elleni wrote:
Which logs could help to find out why I cannot switch monitors to mirror mode ?

You can check if this trips up anything (but it might be the same as the -v flag these days):

Code:
G_MESSAGES_DEBUG=all gnome-control-center

Wait, you don't have an /etc/X11/Xorg.conf file managing things do you?
ZappingLinux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a little bit out of place but since I use Gnome without systemd it might actually be well placed. So I am on a somewhat older Asus laptop with a resolution of 1366 x 768. Now I find myself having to zoom out the entire time. When I open a terminal i do ctrl + '-', when I open firefox i do ctrl + '-' and I wish I knew how to zoom out in gvim... So basically I think that the font is too big for nearly all applications. Any clue as to how this has come to be and how to change it?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 16 of 29

Jump to: