Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
KDE users are urged to use Akonadi with MySQL/PSQL backend?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thurnax
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: KDE users are urged to use Akonadi with MySQL/PSQL backend? Reply with quote

When I tried emerging akonadi back into the system (perhaps I won't need it anymore?!?) after a temporary removal for a system update I got this message:
Code:
 * We strongly recommend you change your Akonadi database backend to either MySQL
 * or PostgreSQL in your user configuration.
 * In particular, kde-apps/kmail does not work properly with the sqlite backend.

What user config is referred to? I don't have a ".config/akonadi/" directory and if that were the case, what syntax should I use for MySQL, MariaDB and PostgreSQL respectively? Don't I need certain packages?

I'm not sure whether I need akonadi at all, perhaps it has been replaced with something else. The kdepim packages appear to be obsolete but I don't know.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That warning has been there since kmail-4.14.

If you don't know, why did you emerge it back, then? Whatever needs akonadi pulls in akonadi itself. KDE PIM certainly does.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
That warning has been there since kmail-4.14.

If you don't know, why did you emerge it back, then?
Oh come now, that's a bit disingenuous.
It was really hard to avoid akonadi and the whole "semantic" craptop hoopla back then.

There's no need to risk alienating users, when a moment's thought tells you the answer.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: KDE users are urged to use Akonadi with MySQL/PSQL backe Reply with quote

thurnax wrote:
I'm not sure whether I need akonadi at all, perhaps it has been replaced with something else. The kdepim packages appear to be obsolete but I don't know.
My opinion is that you're better off without semantic-craptop, as it is a load of bloat for no extra functionality compared to what eg KMail used to be capable of.

More recently it was the vector for a security hole, and personally I feel the thinking behind it is going to lead to more.

Forcing a DB server installation on every laptop and desktop, is simply wrong.

Still it's good that they finally allowed postgres, which has always been orders of magnitude better than MySQL.
thurnax
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember back when I wanted to find a good WinAMP replacement I went for Songbird. The most important feature was that it should be able to maintain 50,000 mp3/ogg/flac/... in a searchable database on a computer with a performance comparable to a PentiumIII.

To tell the truth, I've found no mp3 player that is as fast as WinAMP. Search queries are conducted in real-time as you type and it's very fast, even on a slow system. The only music player that is *almost* as fast as WinAMP is foobar2000 but it doesn't have a full-featured library functionality like WinAMP.

So I went for and tried Songbird that was available for Linux back then. It was slow as molasses and I was amazed over how much RAM it was hogging from my system, even though I didn't have that much music loaded into it. It turned out that it used sqlite3 as a back-end for the music library.

A decent email client is a plus but not necessary for me. I think I have tried out KMail at one occasion just to see how it compares to Thunderbird. But no worries, I guess I can stick with Pine, I heard that viewing image attachments works excellently in pine.
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: KDE users are urged to use Akonadi with MySQL/PSQL backe Reply with quote

thurnax wrote:
When I tried emerging akonadi back into the system (perhaps I won't need it anymore?!?) after a temporary removal for a system update I got this message:
Code:
 * We strongly recommend you change your Akonadi database backend to either MySQL
 * or PostgreSQL in your user configuration.
 * In particular, kde-apps/kmail does not work properly with the sqlite backend.

What user config is referred to? I don't have a ".config/akonadi/" directory and if that were the case, what syntax should I use for MySQL, MariaDB and PostgreSQL respectively? Don't I need certain packages?

I'm assuming you'r using KDE5 and its prequisites, and not trying to run KDE4. This is likely, as most of KDE4 has gone now, and you'd have put a lot of work into getting it to run!

1) You will need akonadi if you use KDEPIM for email/contact/calenders/whatever. You don't need it for desktop search - that got a new database "baloo" that's separate from akonadi.
2) You should have a .config/akonadi directory. If not, you haven't started akonadi (or any application that wants it yet). The config file is created automatically at first startup. IIRC the KDE4 config files were in .kde4/share/config. If you previously used KDE4, perhaps KDE5 is finding the old config files there and using them. In which case, try renaming them so akonadi will create a new configuration from fresh. (Akonadi is basically a cache of data gleaned from maildir entries; if you delete its database, KDE recreates it. You do lose a few config settings, but nothing you can't easily fix by delving in the relevant application Settings.)
3) You will need a database engine, but I'd expect emerging akonadi to pull one in. My guess is you'd get MariaDB by default. You don't need to configure a MariaDB server - by default akonadi uses a so-called "internal" database, which is a sever instance run by the calling application, such as kmail; the dabase is in .local/share/akonadi.
4) Gentoo stable recently upgraded KDEPIM to KDE5 versions.
5) akonadi used to have a System Settings tool, kcm_akonadi. Like so many "improvements" from the mega-brains at KDE, that's not been ported to KDE5. Presumably we're supposed to edit the config files (sans documentation) by hand. I think the KDE people would prefer not to have pesky users changing things, or indeed even using the applications. :-(
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@thurnax: The winamp that I remember had a horrendously slow interface. If you're looking for a lean and nice music player that is Qt5-based, check out cantata.

steveL wrote:
There's no need to risk alienating users, when a moment's thought tells you the answer.

No, I'm starting a thought process into what things you decide to emerge and which ones are pulled in for you when you need them. Likewise you don't manually install kdelibs-4 and ask if you need it afterwards. As the general rule goes, if you don't know why, don't emerge (and don't pollute your world file with) it.

Furthermore, you are mixing up stuff, but I can't blame you for that:

- akonadi is _not_ to be mistaken with semantic-desktop, they are separate things, while in the distant past akonadi optionally _made_use_of_ semantic-desktop for mail indexing
- as such, akonadi has always been easy to avoid if you stayed away from the few applications that made use of it (kdepim obviously, kopete, kgpg, and a few more)
- Gentoo has always provided no-akonadi-kdepim, even to this day, even though it will not be there for much longer since 4.4 is at this point a bit too much work to keep alive (and has dead deps)
- neither DB server requires configuration except the little switch in akonadi's config file and it tells you exactly where and what in pkg_postinst (the part that strangely was not quoted in first post)
- I am using a postgresql backend since about the time that akonadi was introduced, because I agree it is superior, so the word 'finally' is not really sensical here...

PS: Yes, akonadi has issues, and it was the reason why it took so long for it to go stable, or even entering tree. If you look at Debian, they are exposing their users to ancient KDE PIM 16.04 that we never pushed to tree for good reason.

@Goverp: Editing config files by hand really seems like a stretch for Gentoo users, does it? :p As said, the only setting you have to change in .config is told to you by akonadi elog messages.

Now that I look at it, maybe the ewarn message should get changed to be only shown if USE=sqlite is the only one of the enabled backends. If more or all three USE flags are enabled, the priority order (through which portage is creating the default akonadi config template) is mysql-postgresql-sqlite. Although we can not know which of the three the user has already set locally...
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thurnax wrote:
A decent email client is a plus but not necessary for me. I think I have tried out KMail at one occasion just to see how it compares to Thunderbird. But no worries, I guess I can stick with Pine, I heard that viewing image attachments works excellently in pine.
Try mutt; it rocks :-)
I used to use pine, too.

(Dunno about image attachments, it's never been an issue.)
thurnax
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, I had my moments with WinAMP myself and was swearing over how sluggish it was. Then it wasn't until I tried out other players with similar capabilities I realized how well optimized it actually was. 50 000 songs with their ID tags is a lot to keep on a weak system.

I was a little sarcastic when mentioning pine but to tell the truth, mutt looks kind of nice. I have grown a certain infatuation with ANSI 16-color software. I wrote this program myself: https://ibb.co/cGaHoG :D

Since I don't have Akonadi but both MySQL and Postgres installed, perhaps KMail should sort this out automatically should I start it up the first time.

Thanks for your replies. I'll give feedback on how that goes once I get my system sorted out from the update process.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: