Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ottre wrote:
I think it's a major selling point of Gentoo that we have developers who care about POSIX.

Hmm, if they "cared about POSIX", it seems to me they'd have listened when I asked them to put ed in @system, for the sake of POSIX.2 compliance OoTB, along with someone else's request for bc (used by kernel-compile.)

Instead we got the usual questioning-around-the-no-brainer followed by "let's not change anything, because thinner stage for embedded" at the time "let's do glib-based stages" was first being mooted. Whereas we can all have huge dependencies imposed on us, because we can use the underlying tools to hack a way out, people doing embedded builds with Gentoo are apparently less capable and cannot even manage emerge -Cq, nor to tar up a stage4, something users have been doing for at least a decade, which is pretty much essential if you're doing reproducible cross-installs. (here's tonne loads of python and perl installed: just not the basics.)
Never mind the existing stages put out for embedded architectures, by their respective arch-teams (who are perfectly capable of deciding what goes in them.)

Forgive me for not being so enthused about Gentoo's commitment to POSIX.[1]

If you think the above doesn't matter (because we have to emerge whatever anyway), that's cool.
I understand the point of view.

To my mind, it means we lose the selling-point of standard scripting capability OoTB.
I certainly found it irritating when working on an installer, that I could not just use ed pre-install (and all my lib functions that use it), without first having the rest setup enough to emerge (ie: from within the chroot, which is quite late in installer-process terms.)
Yes I know about sed -i. For a #bash regular, that's just gack.[2]
Illustrating that it's not as attractive as it could so easily be.

As does the inability to compile a kernel, again without first chrooting and emerging the necessary tool. It's a straightforward loss of flexibility.

Looking at the revert patch above, a better patch to add to glibc would be to namespace the inclusion, as discussed before (which I'd thought they already did, before the removal.)
A BSD coder should not be expecting to use one of the functional macro names, without being aware that they already exist; whilst it could be restricted to _GNU_SOURCE, given that there's no <sys/makedev.h> that would just make porting harder for no reason.[3]

Though again, you'd smoke-test in a tinderbox, not on end-users' machines, and keep any needed patches to other packages locally, at distro level, until upstreams have taken them, and you have the tarballs to prove it.

--
[1] In this case it feels like reaching for pretext, because there doesn't appear to be an understanding of (how glibc avoids) namespace violations.
[2] If that doesn't make any sense, I highly recommend you spend at least 6 months lurking in #bash
Remember that every ebuild and eclass uses bash as the implementation language.
And yeah, I was forced to sed -i some things. (shudder;) That it can be worked around, less robustly, is not a justification; it rather proves the point.
[3] No, not everyone wants to use autoconf; that macro is no excuse for not thinking through the glibc codebase implications, nor for not stepping carefully wrt. other people's systems.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
And to balance out my complaining a bit: there's a dev that's earned my respect.

++

Patrick is like the BOFH of Gentoo.. *clickety-click* "You were saying?"
Xywa
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it this fixed? Can I unmask my glibic now?
archenroot
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, while searching for current issue I hit this thread here as it looks like discussion about same error here, but 1 year later.

Code:
nc.a ../../mi/.libs/libmi.a ../../os/.libs/libos.a -lcrypto -ldl ../../Xext/.libs/libXvidmode.a -lpciaccess -ldrm -lpixman-1 -lXfont2 -lXau -lxshmfence -lXdmcp -lm -lbsd -pthread
common/.libs/libcommon.a(udev.o): In function `device_removed':
udev.c:(.text+0x10c): undefined reference to `minor'
udev.c:(.text+0x119): undefined reference to `major'
common/.libs/libcommon.a(udev.o): In function `device_added':
udev.c:(.text+0x2f4): undefined reference to `minor'
udev.c:(.text+0x300): undefined reference to `major'
udev.c:(.text+0x334): undefined reference to `minor'
udev.c:(.text+0x340): undefined reference to `major'
udev.c:(.text+0x528): undefined reference to `major'
udev.c:(.text+0x57d): undefined reference to `minor'
common/.libs/libcommon.a(udev.o): In function `config_udev_odev_probe':
udev.c:(.text+0x11af): undefined reference to `minor'
udev.c:(.text+0x11c1): undefined reference to `major'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[4]: *** [Makefile:805: Xorg] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory '/tmp/portage/x11-base/xorg-server-1.19.4/work/xorg-server-1.19.4_build/hw/xfree86'
make[3]: *** [Makefile:854: all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory '/tmp/portage/x11-base/xorg-server-1.19.4/work/xorg-server-1.19.4_build/hw/xfree86'
make[2]: *** [Makefile:669: all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/tmp/portage/x11-base/xorg-server-1.19.4/work/xorg-server-1.19.4_build/hw/xfree86'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:611: all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/tmp/portage/x11-base/xorg-server-1.19.4/work/xorg-server-1.19.4_build/hw'
make: *** [Makefile:778: all-recursive] Error 1
 * ERROR: x11-base/xorg-server-1.19.4::gentoo failed (compile phase):
 *   emake failed
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=x11-base/xorg-server-1.19.4::gentoo'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=x11-base/xorg-server-1.19.4::gentoo'`.
 * The complete build log is located at '/tmp/portage/x11-base/xorg-server-1.19.4/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/tmp/portage/x11-base/xorg-server-1.19.4/temp/environment'.
 * Working directory: '/tmp/portage/x11-base/xorg-server-1.19.4/work/xorg-server-1.19.4_build'
 * S: '/tmp/portage/x11-base/xorg-server-1.19.4/work/xorg-server-1.19.4'

>>> Failed to emerge x11-base/xorg-server-1.19.4, Log file:

I am on following glibc version:
Code:
(chroot) livecd ~ # ls /usr/portage/sys-libs/glibc/files/
2.10  2.17  2.18  2.19  2.20  2.25  2.6  nscd  nscd.service  nscd.tmpfilesd  nsswitch.conf
(chroot) livecd ~ # eix -I glibc
[?] sys-libs/glibc
     Available versions:  (2.2) [M]2.17^s [M]2.17^s[1] [M](~)2.18-r1^s [M](~)2.18-r1^s[1] [M](~)2.19^s[1] [M]2.19-r1^s [M]2.19-r1^s[1] [M](~)2.20^s[1] [M]2.20-r2^s [M]2.21-r2^s [M]2.22-r4^s [M]2.23-r3^s 2.23-r4^s (~)2.24-r3^s (~)2.24-r4^s (~)2.25-r2^s (~)2.25-r3^s (~)2.25-r4^s **2.26^s **9999^s
       {audit caps debug gd hardened multilib nscd profile +rpc selinux suid systemtap vanilla CROSSCOMPILE_OPTS="headers-only"}
     Installed versions:  2.25-r7(2.2)^s(03:31:24 PM 10/11/2017)(multilib rpc -audit -caps -debug -gd -hardened -nscd -profile -selinux -suid -systemtap -vanilla CROSSCOMPILE_OPTS="-headers-only")
     Homepage:            https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/libc.html
     Description:         GNU libc6 (also called glibc2) C library

[1] "poly-c" /var/lib/layman/poly-c

The patch you are talking about cannot be found on my system, so not sure how to resolve this issue in the moment, I searched for macros related stuff but no luck:
Code:
(chroot) livecd ~ # locate sysmacros.h
/opt/MATLAB/R2017a/polyspace/verifier/cxx/include/include-libc/sys/sysmacros.h
/opt/MATLAB/R2017a/sys/tcc/linux32/include/sys/sysmacros.h
/usr/include/bits/sysmacros.h
/usr/include/sys/sysmacros.h
/usr/portage/net-misc/spice-gtk/files/spice-gtk-0.33-sys-sysmacros.h.patch
/usr/portage/www-client/seamonkey/files/firefox-Include-sys-sysmacros.h-for-major-minor-when-availab.patch
(chroot) livecd ~ # cat /usr/include/sys/types.h |grep macros
/* It also defines `fd_set' and the FD_* macros for `select'.  */
(chroot) livecd ~ # cd /usr/portage/sys-libs/glibc/
(chroot) livecd /usr/portage/sys-libs/glibc # grep -R macros

could it be that it has been removed even from glibc itself?

Last edited by archenroot on Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
archenroot
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so staying on x11-base/xorg-server-1.19.3 version is fine, so for now, don't upgrade.
Josef.95
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@archenroot
that is probably a eudev issue.
See Bug 634590
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: