LIVEUSB problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZappingLinux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: LIVEUSB problem Reply with quote

Hey guys! So my previous linux distro decided to bail on me by ruining my system because i use a newer nvidia card (gtx 970m). So i decided to go with gentoo because im enjoying it on another laptop. However when i boot into the live environment and run lspci, the terminal freezes. I have no idea why. Any suggestions?
HungGarTiger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a silly question but, does this medium have sys-apps/pciutils? By live environment, what medium are you talking? Gentoo-minimal or System Rescue CD?
ZappingLinux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HungGarTiger wrote:
Maybe a silly question but, does this medium have sys-apps/pciutils? By live environment, what medium are you talking? Gentoo-minimal or System Rescue CD?

I am talking the gentoo live cd. The 2.6 GB iso on the downloads page on the gentoo website for amd64. When installing it on another older laptop, lspci didnt crash the terminal. So i think pciutils is indeed present on this usb. I suspect my hardware to be the culprit but I wouldnt know :L
HungGarTiger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZappingLinux wrote:
HungGarTiger wrote:

I am talking the gentoo live cd. The 2.6 GB iso on the downloads page on the gentoo website for amd64. When installing it on another older laptop, lspci didnt crash the terminal. So i think pciutils is indeed present on this usb. I suspect my hardware to be the culprit but I wouldnt know :L

I would start by using System Rescue CD, it's the medium most people here use and has a lot more features than the more minimal ones from the website. I'd try that one first and see if that has the same problem (I doubt it will). What kind of system are you trying to install on, anything exotic?
ZappingLinux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HungGarTiger wrote:
ZappingLinux wrote:
HungGarTiger wrote:

I would start by using System Rescue CD, it's the medium most people here use and has a lot more features than the more minimal ones from the website. I'd try that one first and see if that has the same problem (I doubt it will). What kind of system are you trying to install on, anything exotic?

A simple msi laptop. Nothing unusual i would say. Hardware is an i7 cpu, nvidia gtx 970m, intergrated intel gpu, atheros network card. Model is GS60-6QE 281-NL if you want more specs.
ZappingLinux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HungGarTiger wrote:
ZappingLinux wrote:
HungGarTiger wrote:

okay so I have burned the rescue cd to my usb and now lspci actually works and doesnt crash the system. But why does it do this on the live cd? is the livecd just not compatible?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: