Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drizzt wrote:
thunderbird (52.2.0) crash with oom during install phase: xpcshell is using more than 64gb of ram (32gb ram + 32gb swap) and is getting killed by oom.

The same issue as with firefox on processors with avx. I cannot find the bug in the moment, but there was a comment pointing out that the reason is that the xpcshell code relies on a lot of undefined behaviour which apparently just works by accident with a few gcc versions.

Edit: I found the Gentoo bug (I don't know why it didn't pop up with the keyword "firefox" before...). See comment #30.

Last edited by mv on Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drizzt wrote:
mv wrote:
drizzt wrote:
I don't expect this to be fixed soon, see comment#6

This comment is a year old. Moreover, nodejs has been fixed long ago; they just have to bump the bundled libs.

And after over a year this bug is still not fixed :wink:

This is not true: This bug has been fixed. Compilation with gcc-6 is not a problem anymore.
What I understand less is that they don't fix compilation with icu-59.1, because this is related with some security issues. Again, nodejs compiles already fine with icu-59.1. They should really bump.
drizzt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
drizzt wrote:
mv wrote:
drizzt wrote:
I don't expect this to be fixed soon, see comment#6

This comment is a year old. Moreover, nodejs has been fixed long ago; they just have to bump the bundled libs.

And after over a year this bug is still not fixed :wink:

This is not true: This bug has been fixed. Compilation with gcc-6 is not a problem anymore.
What I understand less is that they don't fix compilation with icu-59.1, because this is related with some security issues.

The thread was only renamed since the bug does only occur with gcc-7.1. In my understanding (and experience that chromium compile still fails with the mentioned errors) there has been nothing done about it. :(

Here is the firefox bugtracker entry for xpcshell for reference: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1362771
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been using it since it was hardmasked. Ryzen <3 it.
A few packages didn't build but this is due to change in strictness and upstream packages provided patches
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drizzt wrote:
The thread was only renamed since the bug does only occur with gcc-7.1. In my understanding (and experience that chromium compile still fails with the mentioned errors)]

When the bug was reported, gcc-7.1 was not even out, and compilation failed with gcc-6. As I said, the bug has been fixed and chromium compiles fine with gcc-6.
The errors you see are similar, but not this bug. That the bug is used now for something else is a different story and does not mean that the original bug was not fixed.

BTW, a bugfix for the problem you see is here. But as I said, fixing this bug is not enough to compile chromium with gcc-7.
drizzt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
drizzt wrote:
The thread was only renamed since the bug does only occur with gcc-7.1. In my understanding (and experience that chromium compile still fails with the mentioned errors)]

When the bug was reported, gcc-7.1 was not even out, and compilation failed with gcc-6. As I said, the bug has been fixed and chromium compiles fine with gcc-6.
The errors you see are similar, but not this bug. That the bug is used now for something else is a different story and does not mean that the original bug was not fixed.

BTW, a bugfix for the problem you see is here. But as I said, fixing this bug is not enough to compile chromium with gcc-7.

Sorry I have to disagree. I see two errors. The one mentioned in the chromium bugtracker:
Code:
In file included from ../../v8/src/heap/heap.h:22:0,
                 from ../../v8/src/isolate.h:23,
                 from ../../v8/src/assembler.h:42,
                 from ../../v8/src/code-stubs.h:9,
                 from ../../v8/src/feedback-vector.cc:6:
../../v8/src/objects/hash-table.h: In member function ‘uint32_t v8::internal::HashTable<Derived, Shape, Key>::Hash(Key)’:
../../v8/src/objects/hash-table.h:144:46: warning: invalid use of incomplete type ‘class v8::internal::Heap’
       return Shape::SeededHash(key, GetHeap()->HashSeed());
                                              ^~
In file included from ../../v8/src/checks.h:8:0,
                 from ../../v8/src/elements-kind.h:9,
                 from ../../v8/src/feedback-vector.h:11,
                 from ../../v8/src/feedback-vector.cc:5:
../../v8/include/v8.h:142:7: note: forward declaration of ‘class v8::internal::Heap’
 class Heap;
       ^~~~
In file included from ../../v8/src/heap/heap.h:22:0,
                 from ../../v8/src/isolate.h:23,
                 from ../../v8/src/assembler.h:42,
                 from ../../v8/src/code-stubs.h:9,
../../v8/src/objects/hash-table.h: In member function ‘uint32_t v8::internal::HashTable<Derived, Shape, Key>::HashForObject(Key, v8::internal::Object*)’:
../../v8/src/objects/hash-table.h:152:55: warning: invalid use of incomplete type ‘class v8::internal::Heap’
       return Shape::SeededHashForObject(key, GetHeap()->HashSeed(), object);
                                                       ^~
In file included from ../../v8/src/checks.h:8:0,
                 from ../../v8/src/elements-kind.h:9,
                 from ../../v8/src/feedback-vector.h:11,
                 from ../../v8/src/feedback-vector.cc:5:
../../v8/include/v8.h:142:7: note: forward declaration of ‘class v8::internal::Heap’
 class Heap;

and the one which you posted a patch for:
Code:
In file included from ../../v8/src/heap/objects-visiting.h:13:0,
                 from ../../v8/src/heap/object-stats.h:12,
                 from ../../v8/src/heap/heap-inl.h:16,
                 from ../../v8/src/objects-inl.h:25,
                 from ../../v8/src/x64/assembler-x64-inl.h:12,
                 from ../../v8/src/assembler-inl.h:13,
                 from ../../v8/src/macro-assembler.h:8,
                 from ../../v8/src/x64/codegen-x64.h:8,
                 from ../../v8/src/codegen.h:49,
                 from ../../v8/src/code-stubs.h:10,
../../v8/src/objects-body-descriptors.h: In static member function ‘static void v8::internal::FixedBodyDescriptor<start_offset, end_offset, size>::IterateBody(v8::internal::HeapObject*, int)’:
../../v8/src/objects-body-descriptors.h:102:20: error: no matching function for call to ‘v8::internal::FixedBodyDescriptor<start_offset, end_offset, size>::IterateBody(v8::internal::HeapObject*&)’
     IterateBody(obj);
                    ^
../../v8/src/objects-body-descriptors.h:84:22: note: candidate: template<int start_offset, int end_offset, int size> template<class ObjectVisitor> static void v8::internal::FixedBodyDescriptor<start_offset, end_offset, size>::IterateBody(v8::internal::HeapObject*, ObjectVisitor*)
   static inline void IterateBody(HeapObject* obj, ObjectVisitor* v) {
                      ^~~~~~~~~~~
../../v8/src/objects-body-descriptors.h:84:22: note:   template argument deduction/substitution failed:
../../v8/src/objects-body-descriptors.h:102:20: note:   candidate expects 2 arguments, 1 provided
     IterateBody(obj);
                    ^
../../v8/src/objects-body-descriptors.h:89:22: note: candidate: template<int start_offset, int end_offset, int size> template<class ObjectVisitor> static void v8::internal::FixedBodyDescriptor<start_offset, end_offset, size>::IterateBody(v8::internal::HeapObject*, int, ObjectVisitor*)
   static inline void IterateBody(HeapObject* obj, int object_size,
                      ^~~~~~~~~~~
../../v8/src/objects-body-descriptors.h:89:22: note:   template argument deduction/substitution failed:
../../v8/src/objects-body-descriptors.h:102:20: note:   candidate expects 3 arguments, 1 provided
     IterateBody(obj);
                    ^
../../v8/src/objects-body-descriptors.h:95:22: note: candidate: template<int start_offset, int end_offset, int size> template<class StaticVisitor> static void v8::internal::FixedBodyDescriptor<start_offset, end_offset, size>::IterateBody(v8::internal::HeapObject*)
   static inline void IterateBody(HeapObject* obj) {
                      ^~~~~~~~~~~
../../v8/src/objects-body-descriptors.h:95:22: note:   template argument deduction/substitution failed:
../../v8/src/objects-body-descriptors.h:102:20: note:   couldn't deduce template parameter ‘StaticVisitor’
     IterateBody(obj);
                    ^
../../v8/src/objects-body-descriptors.h:101:22: note: candidate: template<int start_offset, int end_offset, int size> template<class StaticVisitor> static void v8::internal::FixedBodyDescriptor<start_offset, end_offset, size>::IterateBody(v8::internal::HeapObject*, int)
   static inline void IterateBody(HeapObject* obj, int object_size) {
                      ^~~~~~~~~~~
../../v8/src/objects-body-descriptors.h:101:22: note:   template argument deduction/substitution failed:
../../v8/src/objects-body-descriptors.h:102:20: note:   candidate expects 2 arguments, 1 provided
     IterateBody(obj);

But it needs to get fixed anyway upstream so let's not waste too much time on this :wink:
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drizzt wrote:
I see two errors. The one mentioned in the chromium bugtracker:

These are only warnings.
drizzt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right. My fault, I didn't fully read the output. :oops:
Perfect Gentleman
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've migrated to GCC-7.2, glibc-2.26, binutils-2.29. All packages were built without problem.
Jerry McBride
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect Gentleman wrote:
i've migrated to GCC-7.2, glibc-2.26, binutils-2.29. All packages were built without problem.

I've upgraded to gcc-7.2.0 on my laptop. Wow! Such a painless rebuild. Had one package that failed, bumped up to the next version on ~x86 and n more problems. The source code will HAVE to catch up with this gcc.

First thing I noticed is that the putpur of this gcc is SMALLER. I do a lot of development/compiling on an old language. It's output goes through GCC. I am consistently seeing a 10% or better in executable size reduction. For me, smaller is much better.

Cant wait to see 7.3.0!
CaptainBlood
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irre wrote:
Error in app-emulation/xen-tools-4.8.1
Code:
xenlockprof.c: In function 'main':
xenlockprof.c:100:53: error: '%s' directive writing up to 39 bytes into a region of size between 17 and 37 [-Werror=format-overflow=]
             sprintf(name, "unknown type(%d) %d lock %s", data[j].type,
                                                     ^~
In file included from /usr/include/stdio.h:938:0,
                 from /var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/xen-tools-4.8.1/work/xen-4.8.1/tools/misc/../../tools/libxc/include/xenctrl.h:33,
                 from xenlockprof.c:13:
/usr/include/bits/stdio2.h:33:10: note: '__builtin___sprintf_chk' output between 24 and 83 bytes into a destination of size 60
   return __builtin___sprintf_chk (__s, __USE_FORTIFY_LEVEL - 1,
          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
       __bos (__s), __fmt, __va_arg_pack ());
       ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
cc1: all warnings being treated as errors

seems fixed with 4.8.1-r2 release when applying following patch: https://bugs.gentoo.org/634596
Thks 4 ur attention, interest & suopport
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: