View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:26 am    Post subject: LightDM greeter username in list stuck and can't add others Reply with quote

I seem to have one user stuck in the lightdm greeter. Though I can switch to another user, I can't get it to "save" any other users in the greeter, or delete the first user from the greeter. As this machine was meant for another user, I don't want the first user (ME) to show up on the greeter each time...

Anyone run across this issue before?
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this problem, or something similar, with LightDM (GTK Greeter for KDE and GNOME) and SDDM (KDE). I believe the problem is not with LightDM per se. I don't normally use GNOME, so have not looked into it further, but in KDE there is an unresolved bug report about a related problem, which has been left as 'Unconfirmed' by the KDE developers as they are not sure if the problem is due to KDE User Manager or AccountsService. Since I've seen it in GNOME as well as KDE, I suspect AccountsService is the root cause. Anyway, here is how I work around the problem:

1. I created a 96x96 PNG avatar /home/fitzcarraldo/Pictures/fitzcarraldo.png

2. I edited the file /var/lib/AccountsService/users/fitzcarraldo to contain the following (replace 'en_GB.utf8' with your language)

Code:
[User]
Language=en_GB.utf8
XSession=plasma
SystemAccount=false
Icon=/var/lib/AccountsService/icons/fitzcarraldo

3. I made sure that file has 644 permissions

Code:
clevow230ss fitzcarraldo # ls -la /var/lib/AccountsService/users/fitzcarraldo
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 104 Aug  5 16:43 /var/lib/AccountsService/users/fitzcarraldo

4. I copied the avatar to the relevant directory and made sure it has 644 permissions

Code:
clevow230ss fitzcarraldo # cp /home/fitzcarraldo/Pictures/fitzcarraldo.png /var/lib/AccountsService/icons/fitzcarraldo
clevow230ss fitzcarraldo # ls -la /var/lib/AccountsService/icons/fitzcarraldo
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 12667 Aug  5 16:23 /var/lib/AccountsService/icons/fitzcarraldo

After rebooting, the desired avatar was displayed on LightDM's GTK Greeter screen, on the KDE Plasma 5 Lock screen, in 'System Settings' > 'Account Details' > 'User Manager', and at the top of the KDE Plasma 5 Application Launcher menu.

I recommend not using 'System Settings' > 'Account Details' > 'User Manager' (or the GNOME equivalent) until the bug is squashed, but you can copy the avatars of other users to /var/lib/AccountsService/icons/ and edit the other users' files in /var/lib/AccountsService/users/ as explained above. I have always used app-admin/superadduser on the command line to add new users, and it has never failed me. So you can add new users and specify their avatars without touching 'System Settings' > 'Account Details' > 'User Manager'.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... I wish lightdm's gtk-greeter didn't have so much tie-in with Gnome. I actually am using lightdm with gtk-greeter for xfce, which does not have much in terms of tie-in (as in applets) with accountsservice, which will make it tougher to fix :(

But thanks for the tip, I might have to switch to Gnome and see if it can be worked in Gnome; though I do have Gnome installed, I can't use Gnome on this machine because its GPU got blacklisted and thus uses software rendering, making the graphics update horribly slow for everything. Xfce is much faster as it doesn't blacklist the GPU (ATI R200).

For now as a workaround, I disabled the ugly "me" by disabling the save-previous logins and force everyone to type in their logins. I'll see if I can do something the next time I work on this box.

---
EDIT:

Thanks, I guess as a better workaround, the suggestion worked. I added a new file into that accountsservice directory with the user's name, and it now shows up. As that directory is completely root owned, not sure what policy will allow new entries to get written there.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: