Slim can't reboot/shutdown due to X server
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Slim can't reboot/shutdown due to X server Reply with quote

The problem I'm having because I've decided to go without a session manager, so Simple login manager (Slim) is launching the window manager for me, and on that front everything seems ok. Not every time, but periodically (fairly often like daily even) the command to reboot and/or shutdown hangs. I've turned on some debugging rc.log to check it out, and other than the obvious issue of the relationship to xdm, I'm not seeing anything there. In the slim.log I found a problem with needing to kill the X server. What could be the problem I don't know since I don't have much else operating...

Here's my hack at a .xinitrc file:
Code:
xclock &
wait 2
conky -b -a mr -x 15 &
urxvtd -q -o -f &
fbpanel &
nm-applet &
exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session wmx

Is it possible something in this file is causing X window server to hang?

Maybe something's also up with the session files in slim...so here's the one I've been using if that can be used?!

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Name=wm2/wmx
Comment=This will start wm2 session
Exec=startx
TryExec=/usr/bin/startx
Type=Application

I am trying to fill in some of the blanks here with error messages as well, this is what system log is showing:
Code:
Oct 09 00:26:29 [shutdown] shutting down for system reboot
Oct 09 00:26:29 [init] Switching to runlevel: 6
Oct 09 00:26:41 [/etc/init.d/xdm] start-stop-daemon: 1 process refused to stop

That process, I believe is the X server. But I will verify that and wait to hear from someone with what I've already posted here.

[Moderator edit: changed [quote] tags to [code] tags to preserve output layout; added [code] tags to preserve output layout. -Hu]

Last edited by LIsLinuxIsSogood on Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:34 am; edited 1 time in total
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

• Did you work through the SLIM wiki article?
  • Please, unless boot has a problem before starting X, adjust the topic to be more sprecific
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what may have been causing the problem is using startx as part of the session command. But I'm not sure and looking at the way that slim wiki article is useless for the most part because it really only deals with setting Slim up for a session manager, which as I mentioned I am not using a session manager.

What do you want me to write for the title instead, and I will change it...the problem happens when entering a command like thiis:

Code:
reboot -t now

The system then appears to be going down, but during the stopping of slim/xdm it won't finish and therefore I am left with manually powering down (not ideal of course). The error that it is logging looks like something to do with permissions for X server. So would the better name for this be, "slim can't shutdown due to X"?
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently trying a solution using the alternative slim.conf setting for session that does not resource xsessions at all, but just looks to .xinitrc of the user logging in. Hopefully that fixes it, but I haven't tested it enough yet to know!
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a question: Have you been able to boot / reboot / shutdown that system using startx before experimenting with a login manager?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: