No sound in firefox/adobe-flash 26.0.0.151
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dilbot
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: No sound in firefox/adobe-flash 26.0.0.151 Reply with quote

I just updated to the 26.0.0.151 version of adobe-flash, and firefox wouldn't allow audio playback with websites using flash. Other
stuff's audio works fine on firefox.

I tried re-compiling firefox - versions 52.2.0, 52.3.0, 55.0.2 - same thing. Also firefox-bin.

Seamonkey works fine with the new version of flash. So I'm thinking it's some kind of interaction specifically between firefox
and the new version of flash.

Not a huge loss, but any ideas?
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so a good thing to be weary of besides Flash in general which is not the most commonplace anymore, especially since the advent of newer browsers that have built in html5, of which Firefox is not one.

I, like you, being a die hard believer in the "old school" approach, for one still using Mozila firefox because it is the best (in my opinon), but also with trying to figure out the problems that exist with the supposedly platform independent Flash plugins. The thing is since there are more than one actual binaries for flash, how about trying the other...you can use pepper based (PPAPI on a NPAPI) with https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Adobe_Flash#freshplayerplugin
kitsunenokenja
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm experiencing this bug too. Tried upgrading to the latest ESR, 52.3, and latest plugin and no change. Fortunately nearly every site with video I visit is on HTML5 for such content as eliminating Flash permanently is highly desirable. Note I'm using ALSA only, no PA. Have not tested with ppapi/chromium though.
kitsunenokenja
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the fix for this! Note that this is based on using version 27 which is now the only one offered in portage at the time of writing as 26 was dropped.

References:
Audio Issues reported on Adobe's site
Version 27 release notes

Adobe added a new feature to allow output device. Although this is a good addition, it seems there is a regression in its behaviour. Previously it would simply output to the default card, which we can easily control with .asoundrc, but now it appears Flash is defaulting to the first card instead. I'm sure on many modern systems such as mine, the default card for outputting audio is device 1 rather than device 0. It turns out Flash 27 defaulted to device 0 which doesn't output.

To change this setting, load up any page with Flash running, right-click and select Settings from Flash's context menu, then use the final new tab to select output device.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: