MATE Terminal colors when connecting to other systems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cibonato_corregido
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:28 am    Post subject: MATE Terminal colors when connecting to other systems Reply with quote

Dear users, first of all, please accept my apologies about this topic, maybe the title is not correct or not even accurate. Basically, I have a desktop computer running Linux (not Gentoo) and a laptop running Linux (a Gentoo system). Also, at work I use Linux (one more system running something different than Gentoo).

So, in all those systems I use MATE desktop and MATE Terminal. Also, I chose solarize color scheme in all those systems and use vim to edit some C code. When using work and home system solarize colors are OK. It means, when at work I use SSH to connect to my home system to edit code (and vice-versa) and the color scheme is fine.

But, when using my Gentoo laptop the colors are not fine. It's just black and white. :/

So, the question is... any idea to how to start solving this issue?

Greetings and thank you.
R0b0t1
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: MATE Terminal colors when connecting to other systems Reply with quote

cibonato_corregido wrote:
But, when using my Gentoo laptop the colors are not fine. It's just black and white. :/
You need to synchronize the configuration of all of your systems. Some people put all of their configuration into a GitHub Git repository and clone it to the machines they use. You can also copy them by hand.

MATE should have better defaults than black on white. Are you using a DE on your Gentoo system?
cibonato_corregido
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: MATE Terminal colors when connecting to other systems Reply with quote

R0b0t1 wrote:
cibonato_corregido wrote:
You need to synchronize the configuration of all of your systems. Some people put all of their configuration into a GitHub Git repository and clone it to the machines they use. You can also copy them by hand.

MATE should have better defaults than black on white. Are you using a DE on your Gentoo system?

Do you mean BASH configuration? It's the shell I'm using in all those systems.

All the systems involved are graphical workstations (including the Gentoo system). I use MATE and also Cinnamon, it depends on the system. Nevertheless it doesn't seem to be a relevant variable of this problem. For instance, desktop home computer is running MATE and the desktop at work is running Cinnamon, and both of them have "compatible configurations".

Would it have something to do with XTERM variable?

Greetings and thank you.
TigerJr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As i remember gnome-terminal has own profiles to change colors (i.e green on black with transparent background)
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The color handling is likely output through the (n)curses library depending on how the $TERM variable is set. After that, terminal emulator needs to interpret the color codes.

Now usually the TERM variable gets set by the terminal emulator, gets sent to the remote, which the remote might not understand or interpret incorrectly. You might want to check what the TERM variable is on the working machines and manually set on Gentoo if they differ to see if this works.

The codes for the individual colors should be the same from terminal emulator to terminal emulator, though if it sends a whole different set because TERM is set differently, then that would explain why the colors don't get sent through.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: