View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the delayed response, since you don't maybe have a hardware issue let's not attempt to solve that since it couldbe working fine.

Start instead with trying to send audio to one of the devices, either the one you are going to have on the television audio or some speakers that you can jack into the headphones or line out to test audio. The goal is simply to make some noise/sound. Use aplay -L for the device list. As shriker mentioned that is the best tool for the job. Then, taking it a step further, just use aplay as a playback to test the hardware (connected). Using -D or device flag for aplay, it should look something like:

Code:
aplay -D plughw:0,1 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

That is what it will look like if your card is numbered zero and device 1.

After you confirm that, then checking the rest of the ALSA sound setup to figure out what could be either not configured or configured improperly for the other users to access sound. NOTE: HDMI sound while in theory is no different, has some quirks about it but as far as I know they aren't with the ALSA set up so I think unless you are trying to do something very different that the kernel for linux plus a typical config for the hardware should do within ALSA.

Hopefully you can get to work on it and experience little trouble afterwards. One last thing to note, that while PA (that's pulseaudio) does offer plenty of getting in the way, it also can make life a lot easier when dealing with many applications so I'm not sure what the setup is but that is something to consider as well if you need to have audio in multiple applications PA is definitely recommended (I think).
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I set up the HDMI on my MythTV frontend I ended up wasting a LOT of time because the -D option of aplay was totally misbehaving. See my last post here:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1058748-start-0.html

Tom
FrankRizz0
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got to be kidding me tld! So I read through this post, seems we've done a lot of the same things with the same amount of frustrations! I probably have missed it, but my first question is are you using nvidia-drivers or are you using nouveau? I cheated a bit the other day and installed Kubuntu on that box, and the HDMI worked perfectly. The differences were that it was using pulseaudio and nvidia-drivers. I reinstalled Gentoo on that box with pulseaudio but I haven't had a lot of time to play with it because my wife is using it. Fortunately, I have another box that I can play with (my son's HTPC). Something that just dawned on me is that the card in his HTPC died a while back and I replaced it with a GeForce 610. I can use the nvidia drivers with his system but I can not use the nvidia drivers with the HTPC in my bedroom (the driver version number 340 is only supported up to kernel 4.9). So, once again, are you using the nvidia-drivers or are you using nouveau?
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm using the nvidia drivers there...currently x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-384.59-r1, but I set up the HDMI some time ago on a somewhat older version.

Looking back that that thread, one interesting side note I should mention: In my case I wasn't using any surround system, but rather just the built-in speakers on my new TV (an LG OLED...awesome by the way). Of those available HDMI devices, only device 9 (which was apparently stereo) would work.

Jeeezz though...looking back at that it still confuses me.

Tom
FrankRizz0
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So once my wife got off the HTPC in the bedroom I was able to play with it a bit. Instead of using Fluxbox as my DE, I decided to go with KDE because the of the GUI support. I also decided to use pulseaudio coupled with nouveau, and it works perfectly. I love using Alsa for my desktop PC and for my lappy, but for my HTPC's and HDMI sound it looks like pulseaudio clearly handles this a LOT better. Thanks for all your help guys, my headache has gone away!
FrankRizz0
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and one more thing, what a freakin nightmare!!!
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I still can't help wonder if there was something specific about my system when it comes to those alsa test programs (for example some x86 specific bug), only because I couldn't believe those options were as broken as they seem to be. I was only able to assess all that after I knew I had the sound working...sort of stunningly bad.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrankRizz0, this looks all good. Start with one device at a time and go through what tld did in his post, it will work.

aplay -D plughw:1,3
aplay -D plughw:1,7
aplay -D plughw:1,8
aplay -D plughw:1,9

if they work then just copy then info over into the asound.conf in /etc

It would be nice to think that something like Audio can be setup once, and forgotten about. In my experience that typically is not the case. Just like a printer that undergoes automatic adjusting to the default settings over time (perhaps due to a hidden command on it, or even intentionally). The key will be not to loose your wits, and to attempt to work with the information and resources you have to get the job done. In the case of tld's post that means what it looked like was early on there was some success at using aplay with device flag. A lot of time when you are using a linux tool it actually helps to read the man pages!!!! Of that tool at the same time. That is basically a sure shot way of doing it.

Good luck.

FrankRizz0 wrote:
OK shrike, here goes:

Code:
# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 0: ALC887-VD Analog [ALC887-VD Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 1: ALC887-VD Digital [ALC887-VD Digital]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

asoundrc:

Code:
# cat /home/user/.asoundrc
~ $ cat .asoundrc
pcm.!default {
  type hw
  card 1
  device 3

With alsamixer I did use F6 to select the card, (1 HDA NVidia) although I would like this to be the deault sound, it's an HTPC.
FrankRizz0
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks LIsLinuxIsSogood and thanks for all your help, but like I said, Pulse Audio fixed it. I will only use Alsa for my desktops and for my lappy. I do not want to go through that BS again with Alsa!
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrankRizz0 wrote:
Thanks LIsLinuxIsSogood and thanks for all your help, but like I said, Pulse Audio fixed it. I will only use Alsa for my desktops and for my lappy. I do not want to go through that BS again with Alsa!

:roll: But you are using ALSA. PulseAudio won't work without ALSA.
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
FrankRizz0, this looks all good. Start with one device at a time and go through what tld did in his post, it will work.

aplay -D plughw:1,3
aplay -D plughw:1,7
aplay -D plughw:1,8
aplay -D plughw:1,9

if they work then just copy then info over into the asound.conf in /etc

Not sure what you're telling him here, but clearly you didn't read that post of mine that you're referring to at all. NO variation I tried for the -D option worked for me as a test at ALL...period. As a matter of fact, even AFTER I had my sound working, the aplay -D test only worked on the correct device if it was already set as the default. That is...completely useless as a test in my case, and did nothing more than waste a day or more for me.

Tom
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That is...completely useless as a test in my case, and did nothing more than waste a day or more for me.

That all depends on what you are attempting to do with your test. If you had pulseaudio installed, then your attempting to test ALSA is not going to be able to get around the PA server...that won't let you to do that. Personally I don't think it is a waste of time to figure out what is preventing the functionality. Generally glad that everyone has HD audio back in the mix!
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
That all depends on what you are attempting to do with your test. If you had pulseaudio installed, then your attempting to test ALSA is not going to be able to get around the PA server...that won't let you to do that. Personally I don't think it is a waste of time to figure out what is preventing the functionality. Generally glad that everyone has HD audio back in the mix!
Defninitely NO pulse audio here ever...pure alsa. In my case the device options in those tests did nothing unless the chosen device was already setup as the default. Again...I have a fully working system now and I can still reproduce that...and it definitely was a waste of time when it was telling me that the correct device wouldn't work, even though it in fact worked perfectly in applications. That's pretty awful in my book.

Tom
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic at this point, but what soundcard were you using tld, and maybe this will help:
https://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Main
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
Off topic at this point, but what soundcard were you using tld, and maybe this will help:
https://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Main
Sound card? This was just the HDMI out of an nVidia GT 430.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your point that ALSA could have some better design, is sort of pointless but I can't really comment on it because I don't know enough to make that kind of statement about that. One thing I will say is prior to moving over to linux, I recall struggles with audio adapters in Windows (a ton!!), and with Mac (less so :lol:)

not quite sure if the problem though in general is the way the drivers are that is causing your dissatisfaction that leads to the complaint, or else more like a lack of good direction in troubleshooting the issue on the forum or whatever.

But if you are that dissatisfied with Alsa, I guess you could either go with another audio processing tool (is there one? IDK), or you can always just switch to Mac. But then you'd be missing out on the 1 million things that either windows or mac fall short of the ability to do.

But since you mentioned it, the audio card would be an easy enough way to take care of it. I think there is definitely room from improvement in terms of PC hardware boards or whatever that could better guide on the use of setting things up with the various operating systems.

Anyway, I will go back and read the other post more thoroughly, and if I have some thoughts about it that I can take with me onto another idea would be creating a tool (I've actually seen this out there) that could help determine the proper configuration for the particular system in terms of audio and ALSA.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: