Facebook took AdWords, added crack cocaine of personal data
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: Facebook took AdWords, added crack cocaine of personal data Reply with quote

Facebook and Google’s advertising platforms are out of control. That used to be a good thing. Now…not so much.
Quote:
Most everyone I speak to tells me that last week’s revelations about Facebook, Russia, and political advertising is, in the words of Senator Mark Warner, “the tip of the iceberg.” Whether or not that’s true (and I for one am quite certain it is), it’s plenty enough to bring the issue directly to the forefront of our political and regulatory debate.

big dave
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this whole russia narrative is a joke meant to "justify" the wiretapping of trump's team. first democrats said it didn't happen. susan rice openly denied it. then rice literally 180'd when her name was on the government document. they're all corrupt as fuck, trying to wiretap the opposing political candidate, and then finding literally nothing to use against him. to give you an idea of how dumb this narrative is...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-09-12/facebook-says-russian-ads-promoted-live-events-senate-mulls-hearing-social-media-gia
Quote:
Facebook reported that they found a 'staggering' $50,000 worth of ad buys that 'MAY' have been purchased by Russian-linked accounts to run 'potentially politically related' ads.

All of which means that one of the following three things is true: i) Facebook delivers the greatest ROIC to advertisers in the history of mankind, ii) Hillary is the worst allocator of capital ever or iii) this whole narrative is just beyond dumb.

Apparently, one series of ads was so effective that it managed to attract the "interest" of 48 people on Facebook to an "anti-immigrant" rally in Idaho...and 4 of them even said they went (again, this is not a typo...that's 4 people, not 4,000 or 400,000...no, just 4).

For the record, Idaho hasn't been a contended state since Lyndon Johnson won it for Democrats in 1964.

this is why other countries are beginning to have derogatory terms for hysterical liberal americans. these people are so detached from reality it would be designated a mental disorder if it wasn't a mainstream political movement.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mainly thought it was interesting in connecting the dots from contextual ads evolving into highly target ads based on the "crack cocaine of personal data."
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sort at the point where nothing surprises me anymore. That doesn't mean I agree with it. It just means I kind of sit in the corner while everyone else gets outraged.

Then I open a browser and encounter an autoplaying video. Then I'm outraged.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
I'm sort at the point where nothing surprises me anymore. That doesn't mean I agree with it. It just means I kind of sit in the corner while everyone else gets outraged.

I'm not really surprised either. But it can sometimes be disheartening when the hole we thought we knew we were in turns out to be a lot deeper. It puts the lotion on...

On the other hand, I find it more of a minor nuisance when encountering autoplaying videos (and the newer flavor of minimizing the video and following you as you try to read the page you actually visited to read -- in that regard, ublock doesn't meet the hype of which I've read).
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:

Really point my feel of 'the situation'. I hear something and cannot get angry anymore, not even turn red. I just silently sigh. Then I take a look at a vid and just gets more depressed or aroused with erectile anger!
...I just like to point out, I've been through the emotion...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: