Partition question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
klas
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Partition question Reply with quote

[Moderator note: this post was originally posted as a response to the long finished [SOLVED] How to get the best partition scheme ?. Due to that topic's age, I moved this post and the one reply it had received at that time to a new thread. -Hu]

I am planning to install gentoo on this partition

fat32 400 MB /boot
ext4 50 GB /
ext4 200 GB /home
swap 4 GB swap

Is that good ?
HungGarTiger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klas wrote:
I am planning to install gentoo on this partition

fat32 400 MB /boot
ext4 50 GB /
ext4 200 GB /home
swap 4 GB swap

Is that good ?

I'd say /boot is way too large, unless you don't plan on clearing out your old kernels for a very long time. Also, my boot is ext2, you would only need vfat for BIOS_BOOT or under UEFI(which I assume this isn't?)

Also, no point in zombie ressing and old thread as you are better off starting your own. Some members only search for new threads with no answers, so a lot of people may not see your question.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

128 mb is more than sufficient for /boot. Most of the time I use 128 mb. fat32 suggests you have already looked into the requirements for UEFI. I suggest using no boot loader for simplicity. That said, using 1 Gib wouldn't be particularly wasteful given the cost of space these days.

Also, that partition should be 384 Mib due to the way that blocks are allocated. The tools should take care of that for you, but be aware that the file system is based on a block size.

50 GiB is fine for /, although you should consider separating /var to prevent log spam.

Typically swap should be either twice your ram or slightly bigger depending on your intended application. If you have a low ram machine double the ram. If you want to hibernate swap must be at least equal to ram. If you have an insane amount of ram than no swap is needed at all. 4 GiB is a very odd number here.

Of course, /home is generally whatever is left and how much you need depends entirely on how much data you need to store. You won't be making minecraft videos for YouTube with only 200 GiB available, but then without a crystal ball I can't really guess at what you will be doing. The answer to that question is between the keyboard and the chair. :)

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
pr0cesor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

As a new gentoo user, this is how I partitioned my disk few weeks ago

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
1 1049kB 26.2MB 25.2MB grub bios_grub
2 27.3MB 1076MB 1049MB ext2 boot
3 1077MB 9465MB 8389MB linux-swap(v1) swap
4 9467MB 500GB 491GB ext4 root

Basically its 25MB grub - 1GB boot - 8GB swap and the rest of my disk size as root which is 491GB. Maybe not the best partition by my gentoo works like a charm.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pr0cesor,

Its too late now but bios_grub takes the place of the 'wasted space' between the MBR and the start of the first partition on MBR installs.
With a GPT disk lable, this space does not exist. Grub still needs some (unformatted) space for itself, hence the bios_grub partition.
Its not yours, you don't mount it, if you make a filesystem there, installing grub will destroy it but that's OK.

2Mb is plenty.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
klas
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
128 mb is more than sufficient for /boot. Most of the time I use 128 mb. fat32 suggests you have already looked into the requirements for UEFI. I suggest using no boot loader for simplicity. That said, using 1 Gib wouldn't be particularly wasteful given the cost of space these days.

Also, that partition should be 384 Mib due to the way that blocks are allocated. The tools should take care of that for you, but be aware that the file system is based on a block size.

50 GiB is fine for /, although you should consider separating /var to prevent log spam.

Typically swap should be either twice your ram or slightly bigger depending on your intended application. If you have a low ram machine double the ram. If you want to hibernate swap must be at least equal to ram. If you have an insane amount of ram than no swap is needed at all. 4 GiB is a very odd number here.

Of course, /home is generally whatever is left and how much you need depends entirely on how much data you need to store. You won't be making minecraft videos for YouTube with only 200 GiB available, but then without a crystal ball I can't really guess at what you will be doing. The answer to that question is between the keyboard and the chair. :)

I agree with you, I think I will take into consideration when I will be installing gentoo on my desktop. I have a 8 gig ram so I thought of a 4 gig swap but it seems to work fine .
Thanks for the advice
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: