Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Dev "call for test/help" section in the forum?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topic: Test-request: kde-misc/basket:5 (information organiser)
Reason: nah, i'm fine with this topic :)

My report reason is that, i have seen actually some devs doing that, call for help to use our community users as testers (ffmpeg case, migration to libpng...).
And it's a pretty good initiative, just seeing how the forum is successful is kinda a proof our users base is of a real value.

So i'm wondering, as only arch testers are aware of any call for help/testing, shouldn't we just have a kind of dev section "call for test/help" in the forum... where devs could query community for that?
And non arch testers will have opportunity to help, easing dev's life, easing package testing and stabilization or bug hunt...

What you guys think?
ps: unsure if i should had create a topic on the subject, but you could split this off if need
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split from the report thread.

That's not a bad idea, but as you mentioned, some devs already do it. So why don't others? I know in the past many devs didn't interact on the forum.

One additional option which is already available would be News items. But that still takes an initiation from developers.

It is also possible this is an avenue for users in the community to help out by helping create the forum presence for devs who might otherwise not engage in the forums but would be willing to help.

Ultimately the effort / interest would seem to need to come from the developers. But it may just be that threads posted into the respective forum engage with the target users most directly.
Maitreya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be great idea. A lot of people want to contribute back, but don't wan't to commit themselves in a position.
If it would be possible to come home, surf to the test request section, help some devs, be done with it ,everybody happy.
(eventually people helping out this way will want to do more, so I see it as good introduction/stepup)
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
some devs already do it. So why don't others? I know in the past many devs didn't interact on the forum.

That might be part of the problem, if you have no "legit" part on the forum for devs to call for help, they could just do like other devs and use whatever forum part they feel appropriate.
But with a special dev section just for that, you are giving them a legit section.
You have also notice that devs that call for help in the forum are devs that do care already about the forum and interact with it in some way. And that special section might attract more devs to use users just by stating users could be use as resources in dev manual.
While bugzilla is doing fine job to get report from users, when a dev need mass tests on something, bugzilla is really weak, while the forum is perfect because of its audience.

Quote:

One additional option which is already available would be News items. But that still takes an initiation from developers.

I was also thinking that, but as an automation, and new thread in that section would just be pushed as news (like news section)
I would restrict thread creation only to someone with dev status. Not a part for anyone to create thread in.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: