Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Bootable 64-bit RPi3 Gentoo image (OpenRC/Xfce/VC4) UPDATED
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 18, 19, 20  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zucca

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone gotten any Bluetooth headsets/speakers to work?
I tried using the bt applet that's on Sakakis image. I was unable to diagnose the problem since the error message only tells "unsupported protocol". I don't know if it means that I try to send invalid PCM or if I try to use wrong BT protocol or if santa isn't comming next x-mas. :( I think I got pairing working. They seem to connect.

But to be honest; bluetooth has always been pita to use in any platform. Especially bluetooth audio devices. *sigh*
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zucca,

"Work" would be stretching it but I have had audio out of bluetooth speakers using bluealsa (its not in the tree), since I don't use pulseaudio.
The bluetooth is < 1Mbit/sec.

Sound kept droppind out.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
dr_wulsen
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@roylongbottom:

thanks for your guidance!
I'll try that out once back from vacation - but would there be a way to benchmark/check the crypto extensions (do they work under aarch 32 as they are supposed to)?)

I love to be a gentoo user, not only because it's a great system but mostly to the people like you all here in this thread :)
Zucca

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Zucca,

"Work" would be stretching it but I have had audio out of bluetooth speakers using bluealsa (its not in the tree), since I don't use pulseaudio.
The bluetooth is < 1Mbit/sec.

Sound kept droppind out.

I too want to avoid pulseaudio the overhead is too much for Pi. Especially because I plan to make my Pi battery powered eventually.

I found this: https://github.com/Arkq/bluez-alsa ... Is this the same software you tried, Neddy?
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
Sakaki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zucca wrote:
I too want to avoid pulseaudio the overhead is too much for Pi. Especially because I plan to make my Pi battery powered eventually.
The image as shipped uses only ALSA, not pulseaudio (media-sound/pulseaudio is not even on the binhost, as yet). However, I've only used the BT for a mouse and keyboard so far. If anyone has a known good audio solution for BT headset/speakers, I'd be interested to know, so I can include it in a subsequent release.

sakaki
Zucca

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sakaki wrote:
The image as shipped uses only ALSA, not pulseaudio (media-sound/pulseaudio is not even on the binhost, as yet). However, I've only used the BT for a mouse and keyboard so far. If anyone has a known good audio solution for BT headset/speakers, I'd be interested to know, so I can include it in a subsequent release.
My experiences with seamless bluetooth+alsa have been non-existent. This is why I use pulseaudio on some of my setups.
However the software I tested gave some hopes. I need to do more RTFM. If the connection speed is low like Neddy said, it could be possible to stream lossy audio over bluetooth using aac instead of pcm(?).

Also about audio... I tried to play some videos I have, but by default it seems that support for opus codec is disabled (or rather left out) in your RPi3 image. Since it's quite widely used codec (and afaik even mp4 container format is going to support it) why not to have it enabled by default?
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zucca,

Yes, thats it.
Code:
equery b bluealsa
 * Searching for bluealsa ...
media-sound/bluez-alsa-1.2.0

Do that bandwidth sums. 44.1k 16 bit sample per stereo channel. That's 1.4112 Mbit/sec.
The Pi bluetooth serial link is set to
Code:
# Bluetooth is attached to /dev/ttyAMA0 so attach it and
# load the firmware
/usr/bin/hciattach /dev/ttyAMA0 bcm43xx 921600 noflow -

# for sound we need bluealsa or pulseaudio
# pulseaudio reminds me of systemd - its not tested.
bluealsa &

That's only 0.9216 Mbit/sec.
Unless I'm missing something, CD audio doesn't fit on the Pis bluetooth.

I got my speakers paired and transmitted pretty horrible sound over the link, then lost interest when I did the bandwidth sums.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Zucca

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:

That's only 0.9216 Mbit/sec.
Unless I'm missing something, CD audio doesn't fit on the Pis bluetooth.

I got my speakers paired and transmitted pretty horrible sound over the link, then lost interest when I did the bandwidth sums.
So basically transmitting lossy aac or getting a seperate bluetooth adapter are the choices if one wants audio over bluetooth...
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zucca,

Or try the Pi serial link faster ... that would be my first thing.

I'm not sure if bluetooth audio devices support compression on the the bluetooth link.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Sakaki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I've just posted a v1.1.3 bugfix release of my bootable 64-bit Gentoo image for the RPi3 on GitHub (here).

Existing users of the v1.1.{0,1,2} image can simply run genup (as root) to effect the upgrade (or wait for the weekly autoupdate to take care of this on your behalf); those looking to migrate from a v1.0.{0,1,2} image should follow the instructions here (the final genup step of which will now land you at v1.1.3, instead of v1.1.0).

A changelog from prior release image may be viewed here, but in summary:
  • Added the top-level packages media-tv/kodi-17.4_rc1 (a FOSS media-player / entertainment hub) and media-sound/clementine-1.3.1-r6 (a FOSS music player and library organizer);
  • Added dev-java/icedtea-3.5.1 (as the default system VM); app-office/libreoffice is now built with the java USE flag enabled (for Base);
  • Added x11-misc/twofing-0.1.2-r2, which provides two-finger gesture support (emulated right-click, scrolling, pinch zoom and rotate) when using the official 7" touchscreen. It is active by default (but has no effect on systems without a touchscreen attached);
  • Added app-accessibility/onboard-1.4.1, an onscreen keyboard, again primarily for touchscreen users;
  • Prevented NetworkManager from changing the hostname if one is offered to the machine via DHCP, as this was causing the .Xauthority file for the automatically logged-in session to become invalid in some cases;
  • Added a pseudo-ebuild xfce-extra/xfce4-mixer-4.99.0-r1, to allow seamless replacement of xfce-extra/xfce4-mixer, which has been masked, due to vulnerabilities (bug 628424). The new version installs media-sound/volumeicon instead;
  • Various minor ebuild tidy-ups;
  • All packages brought up-to-date against the Gentoo tree, as of 15 September 2017.

Upgrading users (who want them) will need to emerge kodi and clementine, as these are not pulled in by default (as always, the necessary packages are on the isshoni.org binhost, so this shouldn't take long).

The Pi-Top variant image has also been updated to v1.1.3.

As always, any problems feel free to contact me by email (sakaki@deciban.com), or post in this thread, for support.

That's probably going to about do it for new packages for now (the image having hit 1GiB compressed); when I get a chance the next push will be to PR the various changes from the image's custom profile.

sakaki
procount
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest version v1.1.3 of Sakaki's Gentoo64 image for the RPi3 and Gentoo64pt (for the PiTop) are now installable via the PINN multi-boot manager.

What is PINN?
PINN is a fork of the RaspberryPi NOOBS installer that includes some additional advanced features.
It allows easy installation of many different operating systems using a FAT32 formatted SD card, so it is easy to use for beginners coming from Windows, or more advanced users alike.
It can install several operating systems to the same SD card or USB drive and includes a boot manager to select which OS will be executed on boot.
Operating systems can be downloaded from the internet, or for offline use they can be installed from the SD card or a separate USB stick.

EDIT: For more details or queries related to PINN, please see my separate post here-> PINN multi-boot manager supports Gentoo64 on RPi3

Many thanks to Sakaki for her support in helping me convert Gentoo64 to the PINN environment.
Sakaki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, the Raspberry Pi 2 is now shipping with a 64-bit SoC, as of v1.2. From the RS Components product page:
Quote:
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B V1.2 SBC

The Raspberry Pi 2 Model B V1.2 is the updated version of Raspberry Pi 2 Model B but with a Pi 3 Broadcom BCM2837 Chip. The chip brings more processing power to create Internet of Things (IoT) projects. Learn about programming, computing or create innovative projects.

Features:
• BCM 2837 System on Chip (SoC) runs at 900 MHz

I have been informed by a user that the gentoo-on-rpi3-64bit image will boot on a v1.2 RPi2, if you first do:
Code:
# cp /boot/bcm2710-rpi-3-b.dtb /boot/bcm2709-rpi-2-b.dtb

I haven't verified this myself but if true then it should work for any other bootable Gentoo 64-bit system.

If anyone has a v1.2 RPi2 and can double-check this, please let me know so I can update the image and docs.

sakaki
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sakaki,

I owe you a <insert_refreshment>. For some time I have not been able to build and run a glibc newer than 24-r4 and lots of things require at least glibc-2.25 as it has some new symbols.
Symptoms include unable to reboot, unable to connect to signal handlers 3, 10 and 15 and crashing emerge when it validates the manifests.

I gave up and used your glibc-2.25-r5 from your binhost. That just worked. Thank you.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Sakaki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
I gave up and used your glibc-2.25-r5 from your binhost. That just worked. Thank you.

You're welcome, glad it was useful ^-^

PS a bit of a shot in the dark but your chroot issues reminded me of a PM I sent you back in January regarding a similar problem - here's the relevant snippet:

Quote:
BTW, didn't want to necro-post on this thread, but I experienced exactly the same problem you did with glibc after building using distcc (portage complaining about bad file descriptors, system refusing to boot, weird thing with an attempted rescue chroot continuously stoppng etc.).

In the end, I narrowed the problem down to /lib64/libc.so.6 (aka, libc-2.23.so) I found that if I only cross-emerged glibc on my PC it was fine; or if I only built locally on the Pi, it was also fine, but using distcc (with some component sources built on the Pi, some on the PC) it was corrupted. Not sure why, but I ended up blocking distcc and distcc-pump FEATURES for glibc via package.env, which did the trick. The issue happened both with v2.22 and 2.23. I have the same gcc version etc. on both PC and Pi. Odd.

Those settings are still active on the buildserver, so the glibc-2.25-r5 tbz2 you pulled was built with -distcc and -distcc-pump. If you are using distcc, perhaps that is what is causing the problem?

sakaki
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sakaki,

Thank you. I'll try that. I do indeed use distcc and distcc-pump and take care that I have identical gcc versions.

There is somethind odd, your tarball is quite a bit bigger than mine.
Code:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 12561502 Oct  1 14:01 glibc-2.25-r5.tbz2
-rw-r--r-- 1 roy  roy  13778457 Sep 14 11:50 glibc-2.25-r5.tbz2.1

I'll let it build overnight.

-- edit --

Code:
FEATURES="-distcc -distcc-pump" emerge -av =sys-libs/glibc-2.25-r7
produced a working glibc.
I'll need to set that up properly, or I'll forget.
Thank you.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Sakaki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those interested in disabling the Intel Management Engine on their PC, I have just posted an addendum about this to my EFI Install Guide, here.

An RPi3 (running gentoo-on-rpi3-64bit) is used as the external BIOS flashing tool (photos and wiring pinouts are provided in the guide).

The tutorial makes use of the wiringpi ebuild (already in my rpi3 repo) and the me_cleaner and coreboot-utils ebuilds (which I've added to the sakaki-tools repo).

me_cleaner itself was written by Nicola Corna and may be reviewed on GitHub here.

The process works with most standard BIOSes; coreboot per se is not required (only some of its utilities).

Have fun and please don't brick your box ^-^

sakaki
Sakaki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please note that this Friday's arm64 autobuild (which included libreoffice-5.4.2.2 etc) will be the last until the first week of November, due to some planned updates to the supporting distcc build infrastruture.
The existing packages on isshoni.org will still be available as normal during this time, as will the gated rsync mirror (it's just that updates will be on hold).
Apologies for any inconvenience caused ><

sakaki
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sakaki,

Libreoffice now needs dev-perl/X11-Protocol which is not yet keyworded ~arm64.
My build has just finished.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Sakaki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The arm64 weekly autobuild is now up and running again, and an update has just been pushed to isshoni.org.
Any problems, please let me know.

sakaki
orion777
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to do gentoo-on-rpi3-64bit kernel config and make directly on PI3B?
By numbers of reasons I want to do kernel make in PI64B directly, without using a crosscompile.

I was trying to do this as follow (SSH on PI64!!):

1) From gento wiki: Fetch the Raspberry Pi Kernel:
in /usr/src/local: git clone https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux

Than I need existing kernel .config file. I was found some in https://github.com/sakaki-/bcmrpi3-kernel/blob/master/config
2) wget this config file https://github.com/sakaki-/bcmrpi3-kernel/blob/master/config to the /usr/src/local and rename it from config to .config. Permissions also was checked by using mc.

Than I was made some little modifications by adding some USB devices support, just to check is it working:
3) make menuconfig

Now the kernel make was initiated:
4) make && make modules_install

After this, the new kernel was taken from .. /arch/arm64/boot and copied into /boot. The kernel file also was renamed to kernel8.img (I hope I'm not wrong with the name as it was done a few hours ago)
Than the PI64 was restarted and it was die (won't boot).

Maybe some wiki exist? I cant find it and I am not a skilled gentoo user to convert crossdef manual https://github.com/sakaki-/gentoo-on-rpi3-64bit/wiki/Build-an-RPi3-64bit-Kernel-on-your-crossdev-PC to implement it directly on PI64.

Thank you.
Sakaki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi orion777,

yes, it should be entirely possible to build a kernel locally on your RPi3, when booted into a 64-bit OS.

I would recommend initially you try to build a 4.10.y kernel and use bcmrpi3_defconfig, and not change anything via make menuconfig until you get something working.

For example (assuming your /boot is mounted, and you are booted into the gentoo-on-rpi3-64bit image to begin with), you could do:
Code:
pi64 ~ # mkdir -pv kbuild && cd kbuild
pi64 kbuild # rm -rf linux
pi64 kbuild # git clone --depth 1 https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux.git -b rpi-4.10.y
pi64 kbuild # cd linux
pi64 linux # make distclean
pi64 linux # make bcmrpi3_defconfig
pi64 linux # nice -n 19 make -j4
pi64 linux # make modules_install
pi64 linux # make firmware_install
pi64 linux # cp -v arch/arm64/boot/Image /boot/kernel8.img
pi64 linux # cp -v arch/arm64/boot/dts/broadcom/bcm{2710,2837}-rpi-3-b.dtb /boot/
pi64 linux # sync
pi64 linux # reboot

If you do that, does it boot?

sakaki
orion777
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was downloading 1.1.3 image today and was burning it today by using etcher. However, I was surprised that I cant install MC and etc as everything becomes hard masked (red color). However, some packages must be green or even yellow, for example this https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/sys-apps/usb_modeswitch
So I will try to solve this problem at first and than I will try to make kernel as it was specified in Your previous post.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orion777,

arm64 is not listed there as its an experimental architecture. arm on that page is 32 bit arm.
Sakakis image is 64 bit.

Lots of things work in arm64 but are not tested. Feel free to join in the keywording fun.

e.g.
Code:
# emerge usb_modeswitch -a

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N     ] dev-lang/tcl-8.6.7  USE="threads -debug"
[ebuild  N    *] sys-apps/usb_modeswitch-2.4.0-r1  USE="-jimtcl"

The following keyword changes are necessary to proceed:
 (see "package.accept_keywords" in the portage(5) man page for more details)
# required by usb_modeswitch (argument)
=sys-apps/usb_modeswitch-2.4.0-r1 **

NOTE: The --autounmask-keep-masks option will prevent emerge
      from creating package.unmask or ** keyword changes.

Would you like to add these changes to your config files? [Yes/No]

Answer N because thats not very good advice from portage for arm64.

Instead add the entry
Code:
<sys-apps/usb_modeswitch-9999 **

this allows you to get upgrades but not get the live build, if there ever is one.

If it builds and works, file a github pull request adding the ~arm64 keyword, or file a bug at bugs.gentoo.org requesting that ~arm64 be added to the version of usb_modeswitch that you have.

-- edit --

These lines in Sakakis post,
Code:
pi64 linux # cp -v arch/arm64/boot/Image /boot/kernel8.img
pi64 linux # cp -v arch/arm64/boot/dts/broadcom/bcm{2710,2837}-rpi-3-b.dtb /boot/

overwrite your existing kernel and device tree files. You may want to back them up before you do that.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
orion777
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the explanation!
Also I want to say that initially I forgot to run emerge --update on the just burned rpi64 1.1.3 image. I try to run --update and now more packages are available.

So now I will continue with kernel make at Monday; also thanks for arm and arm64 explanation - I will try it if the kernel make will be successful.
orion777
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that the question is stupid, but.. Does the kernel make stays active if it was launched from SSH and SSH session is closed? Or I have to keep SSH Session live until end of the process? Or I must use "screen" to safely close ssh session to keep kennel make running?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 7 of 20

Jump to: