VMWare Workstation Yes - VMWare ESXi No - Migration
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mneimeyer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: VMWare Workstation Yes - VMWare ESXi No - Migration Reply with quote

I'm finally shutting down one of my Gentoo boxes, that's already been replaced, but just in case, and as a learning exercise, I wanted to "archive" the machine by porting the system onto my ESXi box.

As a first step, I copied the hard drive into a VMWare Workstation guest (that host had available drive slots). It didn't boot at first but I used the Live DVD, compiled a new kernel using genkernel, and it then booted fine in that guest. When I migrate the VM to the ESXi host, it segfaults during boot. When I use the Live DVD again to try and re-re-compile a kernel it still segfaults with the newer kernel.

At this point I went back to the Workstation version removed all the CPU flags from my make.conf, set my CFLAGS to just "-02 -pipe" and did an emerge -e and built another genkernel. My theory there being that some "hardware" is different and that these steps should make my system less hardware specific.

Still no luck... Any other things I should be looking at? I admit I'm not even really sure what I should be considering.

Thanks!

P.S. I realize this isn't a"pure" installation question but this seemed like the best forum. If I was wrong I apologize.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest way is the VMware Converter.

However. If you have a working Workstation Machine, just convert it to ovf or ova using "/opt/vmware/bin/ovftool" and import that inot ESXi. I have done this numerous times with both ESXi 5.5 and 6.0.

However, there is also this:
mneimeyer wrote:
As a first step, I copied the hard drive into a VMWare Workstation guest (that host had available drive slots). It didn't boot at first but I used the Live DVD, compiled a new kernel using genkernel, and it then booted fine in that guest. When I migrate the VM to the ESXi host, it segfaults during boot. When I use the Live DVD again to try and re-re-compile a kernel it still segfaults with the newer kernel.
Well, if you compile for a modern i7 using march=native, and then try to boot this on a[n older] Xeon, you will most probably run into problems.

I am afraid that you will then have to rebuild at least @system with "-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic" in your CFLAGS (make.conf) first. After that the machine should boot fine in both your Desktop Vmware Workstation and on your ESXi Server. Don't forget to build a generic kernel, too!

Once the migration is complete, you can tune the system to your server hardware.
-- Elbert Hubbard
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: