View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Beautifying non-native resolution Reply with quote

My laptop has a 3200x1800 native resolution but due to poor HiDPI support in Linux, I run it at 1368x768 to get everything sized the way I want it. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for making non-native resolution a little easier on the eyes?

Hinting and Sub-Pixel Order font settings in XFCE4 seems to help a bit.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grant123,

Divide the native resolution by an integer, so you don't get the fraction pixel problems.
1600x900 (divide by 2) would be OK. Each pixel in the image will appear on 4 on screen pixels.

You may need to use a modeline to get 1600x900

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried 1600x900 but it just isn't nearly as comfortable as 1368x768 as far as the sizing of everything onscreen.
Akkara
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't use integer ratios, your next best bet is fractions with small denominators, such as halves. Does 1280 x 720 work for you? That's a 2.5 ratio.

grant123 wrote:
Sub-Pixel Order font settings in XFCE4 seems to help a bit.
Unless I misunderstand how this works, I think this will be counter-productive to what you're trying to do. Sub-pixel ordering causes the red and blue components of fonts to be rendered "shifted" by 1/3 of a pixel one way or the other relative to the center color, which is green. This shifting happens at your low resolution, which is not where it needs to be applied (it is needed at the monitor resolution).

Hinting might help, play with that one but turn off the sub-pixel stuff when using anything other than native resolution.

What kinds of trouble are you having? Have you tried setting DPI and/or changing the default font sizes? I find a mix of the two usually achieves what I need (although in my case I'm usually trying for smaller fonts and higher res, the reverse ought to work as well...I think!)
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lcd display in native resolution, if you use any non native resolution the image will be upscale to native resolution, and while the rendering might appears correct on screen if the upscale is easy (1/2 resolution...) it will never appears sharp, only correct.

you should at least use a resolution that ease the calc and lower rendering error, while 1368x768 still is 16:9 ratio, it's a real bad one.
x900 is 2, x720 is 2.5, but 1800/768 gives a poor 2.34375

You should either goes with NeddySeagoon's suggest for a nicer ratio (the 1600x900) or goes with Akkara's suggest to tweak dpi.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: