View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iandoug
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: KDE 17.04 etc Reply with quote

Hi All

After much fun and games KDE 17.04.3 is installed. Postgres still a bit broken (had to uninstall it to get past some blockers, then reinstalled that version, but still not happy).

Anyway... the new Akonadi is even a bigger mess than the previous version. I've got mails that refuse to delete, due to Akonadi having two records pointing at the same mail. Or somesuch.

Then I get messages in my terminal, where I really don't want them:

Code:

MariaDB [futura]> "Item query returned empty result set"
"Item query returned empty result set"
"Item query returned empty result set"
org.kde.pim.libmaildir: Maildir::removeEntry unable to find:  "1498137633.R832.trooper"
Pass a valid window to KWallet::Wallet::openWallet().

MariaDB [futura]>

Anyone know when the emergency bugfixes are coming out? I see around the net that other people are also having serious issues with Akonadi, at least I still have a working email system... some users are worse off.

Thanks, Ian
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine a scenario where you have to uninstall postgresql for kde apps 17.04 to emerge.

Wrt akonadi, it seems like a good old akonadictl fsck might help.
iandoug
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
I can't imagine a scenario where you have to uninstall postgresql for kde apps 17.04 to emerge.

There was some program (not core KDE but wanted updating anyway) that was complaining about can't be installed at same time.
May have been "basket".

asturm wrote:

Wrt akonadi, it seems like a good old akonadictl fsck might help.

I've tried that, also akonadictl vacuum etc. I do Google before I come here :-)
(and yes, only learned about them today..... was not something I needed in the past)

See comments here from what looks like one of the devs where he admits things are broken and they don't know when they'll fix them.

https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kdepim-users/2017-May/000766.html

There was a long time with previous versions where some messages would be in my inbox twice. At the time I thought it was Kmail itself fetching things twice (POP3), but it now seems that it was actually Akonadi creating double entries, and now they've fixed THAT bug (or not) but have no way to deal with the double entries, and just refuse to delete the mail because it's there twice.

I've tried "update folder" in an attempt to force a rescan of the folders but that doesn't work.

In the past when Kmail refused to delete mails, I would shut it down (sometimes even exiting KDE), and when restarting, was able to delete the mails. But that trick is not working so well now.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iandoug wrote:
May have been "basket".

Has no relation to postgresql. Anyway would have been interesting to see the blocker, but removal is almost never necessary to fix those issues.

iandoug wrote:
See comments here from what looks like one of the devs where he admits things are broken and they don't know when they'll fix them.

https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kdepim-users/2017-May/000766.html

That's not really a change to akonadi:4 - overall it has definitely improved, but there are also some new bugs.

iandoug wrote:
There was a long time with previous versions where some messages would be in my inbox twice. At the time I thought it was Kmail itself fetching things twice (POP3), but it now seems that it was actually Akonadi creating double entries, and now they've fixed THAT bug (or not) but have no way to deal with the double entries, and just refuse to delete the mail because it's there twice.

It has always been akonadi, kmail does not fetch stuff by itself. If there are remaining duplicates from old versions (I haven't seen that bug since 16.12) there has always been an sql command (no joke) I used in akonadiconsole, but of course it is not the same between mariadb and postgresql backend. They're somehwere in https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=338658, but take care.
iandoug
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:

It has always been akonadi, kmail does not fetch stuff by itself. If there are remaining duplicates from old versions (I haven't seen that bug since 16.12) there has always been an sql command (no joke) I used in akonadiconsole, but of course it is not the same between mariadb and postgresql backend. They're somehwere in https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=338658, but take care.

I took a look at that page, seems more aimed at people using IMAP which I don't, only POP3.
Not going to try those SQL commands but thanks for offering :-)

What I did pick up from that page was possibly the local filters are a problem, I have quite a few which sort (usually, when Kmail is behaving) the incoming mails from multiple different accounts in to various folders.

Sometimes the auto-filters just stop working. (been that way for ages, same as the duplicate messages, and "can't delete" problem which is now much worse than it was ever before).

I have used the akonadi console to "clear cache" but now see that that apparently is also aimed more at IMAP users...

Maybe the devs will push out a fix shortly...

[Re postgres, also had issues with MariaDB version creep and PHP upgrading to v7 when I want to stay on 5.7 ... but I blame --deepclean for that, and me trusting it to be sensible. So the last few days were not good. :-) ]
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iandoug wrote:
Maybe the devs will push out a fix shortly...

Slim chance, considering how long it is broken. But we'll never lose hope I guess...

17.04.3 is 'done' in any case, fixes are going into 17.08.x and all development happens in git master.
Goverp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comments on akonadi, in no logical order:
1) There may be mileage in running mysql_upgrade against its database, except the scripts create one that is missing some of the bits that mysql_upgrade hits. (SImilarly, it's possible to run it against the digikam database.) It's usual for one akonadi database to survive over several mysql/mariadb updates.
2) Given the above, there's probably mileage in creating a pukka mysql database server, and using it for akonadi, digikam, anything else that otherwise uses an internal mysql server. That way, it's easy to upgrade the lot, and see what's going on, and manage it, and know where it is if you want to back it up.
2a) I forgot to mention that the current digikam build no longer supports an internal mysql database; it's a missing option in the ebuild. Whatever, you can start an explicit server by pointing it at the relevant mysql.conf and database files.
3) akonadi has some rediculous transactional integrity settings, given that it has a history of needing its database wiped and rebuilt 'cos of getting corrupted at new KDE releases. It would probably run a lot faster with something saner; I can't be bothered to try.
4) The big thing to remember is that akonadi is just a cache (* almost - a few config settings are only in the database; &Deity knows why) for the maildir files. So when it all goes nasty, just delete the database. akonadi notices, and builds a shiny new one, using your latest mysql. You do lose some of the kontact configuration items, but it's easy to put them back.
iandoug
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
Comments on akonadi, in no logical order:
1) There may be mileage in running mysql_upgrade against its database, except the scripts create one that is missing some of the bits that mysql_upgrade hits. (SImilarly, it's possible to run it against the digikam database.) It's usual for one akonadi database to survive over several mysql/mariadb updates.
2) Given the above, there's probably mileage in creating a pukka mysql database server, and using it for akonadi, digikam, anything else that otherwise uses an internal mysql server. That way, it's easy to upgrade the lot, and see what's going on, and manage it, and know where it is if you want to back it up.
2a) I forgot to mention that the current digikam build no longer supports an internal mysql database; it's a missing option in the ebuild. Whatever, you can start an explicit server by pointing it at the relevant mysql.conf and database files.
3) akonadi has some rediculous transactional integrity settings, given that it has a history of needing its database wiped and rebuilt 'cos of getting corrupted at new KDE releases. It would probably run a lot faster with something saner; I can't be bothered to try.
4) The big thing to remember is that akonadi is just a cache (* almost - a few config settings are only in the database; &Deity knows why) for the maildir files. So when it all goes nasty, just delete the database. akonadi notices, and builds a shiny new one, using your latest mysql. You do lose some of the kontact configuration items, but it's easy to put them back.

Mmm food for thought. Thanks. So locate shows me zillions like this:

Code:

/home/ian/.local/share/akonadi/file_db_data/22/793022_r0
/home/ian/.local/share/akonadi/file_db_data/22/797922_r0
/home/ian/.local/share/akonadi/file_db_data/22/805822_r0
/home/ian/.local/share/akonadi/file_db_data/22/807022_r0
/home/ian/.local/share/akonadi/file_db_data/22/933022_r0
/home/ian/.local/share/akonadi/file_db_data/22/937322_r0
/home/ian/.local/share/akonadi/file_db_data/22/943422_r0
/home/ian/.local/share/akonadi/file_db_data/23/1023323_r0
/home/ian/.local/share/akonadi/file_db_data/23/1063623_r0
/home/ian/.local/share/akonadi/file_db_data/23/1077123_r0

and zillions more like this:

Code:

home/ian/.local/share/akonadi/file_lost+found/188592_r0
/home/ian/.local/share/akonadi/file_lost+found/188595_r0
/home/ian/.local/share/akonadi/file_lost+found/188601_r0
/home/ian/.local/share/akonadi/file_lost+found/188604_r0
/home/ian/.local/share/akonadi/file_lost+found/188607_r0
/home/ian/.local/share/akonadi/file_lost+found/188622_r0
/home/ian/.local/share/akonadi/file_lost+found/188634_r0
/home/ian/.local/share/akonadi/file_lost+found/188637_r0

which I wonder if is part of the problem ...

Will wait until I'm feeling brave, do a backup and then wipe some folders and see what happens...
albright
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

somewhere on the internet was this suggestion:

Quote:

rm ~/.config/akonadi/agent_config_akonadi_migration_agent_changes.dat
rm ~/.config/akonadi/agent_config_akonadi_maildispatcher_agent_changes.dat
rm ~/.config/akonadi/agent_config_akonadi_notes_agent_changes.dat
rm ~/.config/akonadi/agent_config_akonadi_archivemail_agent_changes.dat

make sure akonadi is stopped (and one might copy the dat files somewhere safe
as a precaution)

this fixes the regular akonadi based problems I face with kmail

EDIT: I use IMAP so I just realized this might be irrelevant - sorry if so
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: