Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[Solved] Drupal 8.3.4++ - ebuild any time soon?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lyallp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: [Solved] Drupal 8.3.4++ - ebuild any time soon? Reply with quote

Just wondering if an ebuild for drupal versions higher than 8.3.4 is available.

Or maybe a current version of Drush, which can then be used to maintain a drupal installation?

I would prefer to go down the ebuild route rather than install drupal without emerge/webapp-config.

Last edited by lyallp on Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:12 am; edited 1 time in total
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For drush there is an overlay with version 8.1.10
lyallp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks.
I guess, now that I have used 'drush up', I should simply uninstall the gentoo build, as it is no longer representative of what is actually being used.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lyallp wrote:
I guess, now that I have used 'drush up', I should simply uninstall the gentoo build, as it is no longer representative of what is actually being used.
In general, the advice is usually the opposite: uninstall the external, and reinstall via ebuild.
This has benefits like file-tracking, and dependency resolution (so you don't need to worry about them any more) as well as easy binary deployment. (FEATURES=buildpkg)

If you must use an external, then we usually use package.provided to tell portage it's present, for dep resolution of other packages.

My advice would be to use the ebuild route, simply because it's so much nicer in longer-term administration and maintenance.
lyallp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
lyallp wrote:
In general, the advice is usually the opposite: uninstall the external, and reinstall via ebuild.
This has benefits like file-tracking, and dependency resolution (so you don't need to worry about them any more) as well as easy binary deployment. (FEATURES=buildpkg)

If you must use an external, then we usually use package.provided to tell portage it's present, for dep resolution of other packages.

My advice would be to use the ebuild route, simply because it's so much nicer in longer-term administration and maintenance.

Usually I go the ebuild route, this is the first package that I have not. It's like using python PIP to install packages.
Problem with the above, there is no ebuild for a recent drush, the latest ebuild is 2 major releases behind.
Additionally, 'drush up' on a webapp-config constructed drupal directory updates the drupal code, making the webapp-config invalid.
The drush updated webapp code now no longer reflects /usr/share, making the whole ebuild install pointless, unless, there is a current ebuild of the webapp, which there is not.
The latest ebuild for drupal is 3 point releases behind, the latest of which fixes a rather nasty deleting files bug.
Finally, my understanding is that the latest Drupal requires drush, which is the straw that broke the ebuilds back.

If we ever get current (or fairly close to current) ebuilds for Drupal, which include drush for admin of drupal, I will jump on the ebuild bandwagon once more!
:)
Hu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not write an ebuild for the version you need? If upstream has not substantially changed their build process from the last version in Portage, you can probably copy over the existing ebuild and use it as-is or nearly so.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: