Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Should the pax_kernel use flag be set on hardened profiles?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hfk22
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Should the pax_kernel use flag be set on hardened profiles? Reply with quote

Should the pax_kernel use flag be set on hardened profiles given that hardened-sources are being removed? I saw the message 2017-08-19-hardened-sources-removal today and that prompted me to move back to gentoo-sources. By doing that, I noticed that I needed to turn off the pax_kernel use flag to have nvidia-drivers install correctly. Anyway, I thought PAX was purely a hardened-sources thing, so does this mean that the use flag should be removed?
toralf
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Should the pax_kernel use flag be set on hardened profil Reply with quote

hfk22 wrote:
Should the pax_kernel use flag be set on hardened profiles given that hardened-sources are being removed? I saw the message 2017-08-19-hardened-sources-removal today and that prompted me to move back to gentoo-sources. By doing that, I noticed that I needed to turn off the pax_kernel use flag to have nvidia-drivers install correctly. Anyway, I thought PAX was purely a hardened-sources thing, so does this mean that the use flag should be removed?
By putting
Code:
PAX_MARKINGS="none"
into /etc/portage/make.conf you shouldn't get any error messages, or ?
hfk22
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried this and removed the flag -pax_kernel from nvidia-drivers. Unfortunately, it didn't work:

Code:
>>> Emerging (13 of 15) x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-384.59-r1::gentoo
 * NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-384.59.run SHA256 SHA512 WHIRLPOOL size ;-) ...   [ ok ]
 * nvidia-settings-384.59.tar.gz SHA256 SHA512 WHIRLPOOL size ;-) ...    [ ok ]
 * Determining the location of the kernel source code
 * Found kernel source directory:
 *     /usr/src/linux
 * Found kernel object directory:
 *     /lib/modules/4.12.5-gentoo/build
 * Found sources for kernel version:
 *     4.12.5-gentoo
 * Checking for suitable kernel configuration options...                 [ ok ]
 * Checking for suitable kernel configuration options...                 [ ok ]
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-384.59.run to /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-384.59-r1/work
>>> Unpacking nvidia-settings-384.59.tar.gz to /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-384.59-r1/work
>>> Source unpacked in /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-384.59-r1/work
>>> Preparing source in /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-384.59-r1/work ...
 * Using PAX patches is not supported. You will be asked to
 * use a standard kernel should you have issues. Should you
 * need support with these patches, contact the PaX team.
 * Applying nvidia-drivers-375.20-pax.patch ...
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|diff -urp work.orig/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm_full_fault_buffer.h work/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm_full_fault_buffer.h
|--- work.orig/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm_full_fault_buffer.h   2016-11-27 21:56:50.399642330 +0100
|+++ work/kernel/nvidia-uvm/uvm_full_fault_buffer.h   2016-11-27 21:54:23.975709978 +0100
--------------------------
No file to patch.  Skipping patch.
2 out of 2 hunks ignored                                                 [ !! ]
 * ERROR: x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-384.59-r1::gentoo failed (prepare phase):
 *   patch -p1  failed with /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-384.59-r1/files/nvidia-drivers-375.20-pax.patch
 * Call stack:
 *               ebuild.sh, line  115:  Called src_prepare
 *             environment, line 5016:  Called eapply '/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-384.59-r1/files/nvidia-drivers-375.20-pax.patch'
 *             environment, line 1290:  Called _eapply_patch '/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-384.59-r1/files/nvidia-drivers-375.20-pax.patch'
 *             environment, line 1228:  Called __helpers_die 'patch -p1  failed with /var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-384.59-r1/files/nvidia-drivers-375.20-pax.patch'
 *   isolated-functions.sh, line  117:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *         die "$@"
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-384.59-r1::gentoo'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-384.59-r1::gentoo'`.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-384.59-r1/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-384.59-r1/temp/environment'.
 * Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-384.59-r1/work'
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-384.59-r1/work/'

>>> Failed to emerge x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-384.59-r1, Log file:

To be clear, I removed the -pax_kernel use flag and only had PAX_MARKINGS="none" in make.conf. Certainly, everything is fine if I retain the -pax_kernel use flag.
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are sure that pax_kernel use flag of nvidia-drivers is disabled? Because
Code:
 * Applying nvidia-drivers-375.20-pax.patch ...

And ebuild try to apply patch only if pax_kernel is enabled
Code:
        if use pax_kernel; then
                ewarn "Using PAX patches is not supported. You will be asked to"
                ewarn "use a standard kernel should you have issues. Should you"
                ewarn "need support with these patches, contact the PaX team."
                eapply "${FILESDIR}"/${PN}-375.20-pax.patch
        fi

If you want ago has created grsecurity-sources that applies last publicly available grsecurity patches.
hfk22
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very clearly it's not. If I add -pax_kernel to my package.use file:

Code:
x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers -pax_kernel

Everything works fine. My question is that whether this should be necessary given that hardened-sources are being removed. Even after hardened-sources are removed, there is still some benefit from using a hardened profile, but this profile currently sets pax_kernel and that seems to only make sense if one is using hardened-sources.
NTU
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hfk22 wrote:
Even after hardened-sources are removed, there is still some benefit from using a hardened profile

Eh, not any benefit you can't get from adding -fstack-protector-strong -fPIC -fPIE to C{XX}FLAGS and -fPIE -pie -Wl,-z,relro -Wl,-z,now to LDFLAGS. Plus, specifying those manually are more effective than simply using a hardened profile. The hardened profile sucks at applying SSP and PIE so I just use the vanilla profile with those flags, then a package.env file that excludes any packages that don't build with -fPIE -pie to a nopie.conf file (just -fPIC -fstack-protector-strong)

pax_kernel I never use because I've never fully dissected the 8/9MB mystery patch blob as provided by the grsec guys and don't use any of their code. I got about half way through and split their patch blob up into a bunch of pieces and broke it down but the project has crumbled apart since then so there's really no need to further dissect, plus a lot of those features have now been mainlined.

Cheers!
Petross404
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NTU wrote:
hfk22 wrote:
Even after hardened-sources are removed, there is still some benefit from using a hardened profile

Eh, not any benefit you can't get from adding -fstack-protector-strong -fPIC -fPIE to C{XX}FLAGS and -fPIE -pie -Wl,-z,relro -Wl,-z,now to LDFLAGS. Plus, specifying those manually are more effective than simply using a hardened profile. The hardened profile sucks at applying SSP and PIE so I just use the vanilla profile with those flags, then a package.env file that excludes any packages that don't build with -fPIE -pie to a nopie.conf file (just -fPIC -fstack-protector-strong)

Isn't putting manually "hardened" flags, not recommended by the Handbook? What makes so think that the profile is not sufficient?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: