[SOLVED] Portage and /run/user/1000/ - Permission Denied
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Portage and /run/user/1000/ - Permission Denied Reply with quote

So, I'm trying to compile EFL and the friends from e21, but I've stumbled upon a bug that I've seen before. And I've read somewhere before how to solve it. But I forgot to write it down. Rookie's mistake, admittedly.

The error is the following: at some point, the makefile tries to create a directory inside '/run/user/1000/', which leads to a permission denied error:
Code:
ERR<27509>:ecore_con lib/ecore_con/ecore_con_local.c:160 _ecore_con_local_mkpath() could not create parent directory '/run/user/1000/.ecore' of path '/run/user/1000/.ecore/efreetd/0': Permission denied

I remember that it was easily solved by some environment trick; either messing with some environment variable or running portage in a whole different environment, but I don't remember what; any clues?

Last edited by Holysword on Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Portage and /run/user/1000/ - Permission Denied Reply with quote

Holysword wrote:
So, I'm trying to compile EFL ...

Did you mean gnu-efi? Or what?
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Portage and /run/user/1000/ - Permission Denied Reply with quote

charles17 wrote:
Holysword wrote:
So, I'm trying to compile EFL ...

Did you mean gnu-efi? Or what?

No, efl from enlightenment overlay:

Code:
[I] dev-libs/efl
     Available versions:  1.17.0-r1 (~)1.18.0[1] (~)1.18.1[1] (~)1.18.2[1] (~)1.18.4 (**)9999 (**)9999[1] {(+)X avahi +bmp cxx-bindings debug doc drm +eet egl fbcon +fontconfig fribidi gif gles glib gnutls gstreamer harfbuzz ibus +ico jpeg2k libressl neon nls oldlua (+)opengl physics pixman +png postscript +ppm (+)psd pulseaudio raw rawphoto scim sdl sound ssl static-libs systemd test tga tiff tslib unwind v4l v4l2 valgrind wayland webp xim xine xpm}
     Installed versions:  9999[1](23:20:22 07/07/17)(X bmp eet fontconfig fribidi gif gstreamer ico nls opengl physics png ppm pulseaudio scim sdl sound ssl systemd tiff v4l2 xim -avahi -cxx-bindings -debug -doc -drm -egl -fbcon -gles -glib -gnutls -harfbuzz -ibus -jpeg2k -libressl -neon -oldlua -pixman -postscript -psd -rawphoto -static-libs -test -tga -tslib -wayland -webp -xine -xpm)
     Homepage:            http://www.enlightenment.org/
     Description:         Enlightenment Foundation Core Libraries

russK
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to reproduce the problem but It built for me.

You might give it a try logged in as root at the console, if that's an option for you. It does seem like it's picking up something from your user environment. You use sudo? Another option might be
Code:
# sudo env -i emerge ...

HTH
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

russK wrote:
Code:
# sudo env -i emerge ...

Well, that's precisely the "trick" I was looking for :lol:
Thanks!
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! If you have been editting things run "chown -R portage:portage /usr/portage". If some files in that directory chain belong to root, portage can't use them.

Been there. Done that. A lot.
Hu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP: how do you normally start the root shell in which you run emerge? The command suggested here gives you a very clean environment. If your normal root shell had environment variables that confused the build process, that would explain the error.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holysword wrote:
russK wrote:
Code:
# sudo env -i emerge ...

Well, that's precisely the "trick" I was looking for :lol:
Thanks!

Also “su -” works, if you normally use bare su. There's a similar problem when you have perl5 stuff installed in your user directory, probably more besides...

Maybe portage should be sanitizing the shell env better... the contents of those environment.bz2 files can be worrying sometimes.
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
OP: how do you normally start the root shell in which you run emerge? The command suggested here gives you a very clean environment. If your normal root shell had environment variables that confused the build process, that would explain the error.

I normally start the shell from a normal session, then calling "su", no hyphen.

No idea what causes that, but it seems to be a problem only when I emerge the ebuilds from enlightenment overlay. I've never had issues with the other ebuilds.
Hu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do not pass - or equivalent, then parts of your personal login environment will persist into the root shell. If your personal environment has environment variables that confuse the enlightenment ebuilds, that matches the observed symptoms. You could compare root's environment when started with - versus without - to try to narrow down the specific problem variable, if you want to pursue this further.

In my opinion, you should pass - unless you have a good reason to want the environment to pass through.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
In my opinion, you should pass - unless you have a good reason to want the environment to pass through.
++
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:

This solved my problem of the PS1 prompt string only changing user name. The proper PS1 does not show the long path and I do indeed get it from "su -" and not from "su".

Thanks, Hu.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: