View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EugeneTheJeep
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: KDE & KeePass: passwords not deleted from clipboard widg Reply with quote

HI,

I use KDE Plasma 5 as my desktop & KeePass 2.36 as my password manager. Normally when you copy a password from KeePass to the clipboard, it erases the password from the clipboard in 12 seconds. This works in a sense: after 12 seconds transpire, I can no longer ctrl-v the password into a text field. However, the password persists in plain text inside the clipboard widget history until I manually delete it. This defeats the purpose of KeePass's password clearing feature, so I was wondering if there is a fix for this. (It is the same with both KeePass and KeePassX)

Any help is appreciated!
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a function that would be supported by keepass or rather Plasma-5? What version of Plasma-5 do you run?
EugeneTheJeep
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run kde-frameworks/plasma-5.3.4.0 and kde-plasma/plasma-meta-5.9.5

I'm not sure if the function would be supported by keepass or Plasma 5.

EDIT
I'd think keepass would invoke a function that is already present in the clipboard widget to erase the specified entry since the widget itself has the option to delete individual entries. I really have no idea, though; I'm just an end user, not a developer.
Hu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall correctly, KDE has a helper program that monitors the X clipboard and mirrors entries into internal storage. I suspect Keepass is properly clearing the X clipboard, but does not touch the Klipper internal storage. Klipper may or may not have a way for Keepass to remove these entries. Even if it does, Keepass would likely need special logic to detect such a clipboard manager and initiate the purge. It would also need to do the same for the GNOME clipboard manager, if they have one.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: