Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
block user(s)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
josephg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: block user(s) Reply with quote

is there any way to block user(s), so i don't see their posts and they don't see mine? possibly better than to upset someone or be upset by them.

Last edited by josephg on Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:50 am; edited 2 times in total
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it's not me that upset you, but unfortunately, no for phpbb2.

I'm sort of concerned even if it wasn't me, this kind of thing happening is exactly what a recent thread is talking about - virulence of posts that invoke this kind of response - it's not healthy for the recipients or the community, I'm sorry that this happened.
josephg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
I hope it's not me that upset you, but unfortunately, no for phpbb2.

no mr watchman, you most assuredly have not upset me. but it seems i have upset someone enough for them to complain to moderators that i'm a troll :roll: i'd rather keep my sanity and keep away from them.

i know i have strong opinions about some things, and probably why i'm here in gentoo land. i'm willing to learn and say sorry when i'm proved wrong. i am happy to debate with anyone at any level, but not if they have covert agendas. i don't like to engage with such people.

eccerr0r wrote:
I'm sort of concerned even if it wasn't me

thank you for your concern and care watching over us. guess it's why you've become the watchman!

eccerr0r wrote:
this kind of thing happening is exactly what a recent thread is talking about - virulence of posts that invoke this kind of response - it's not healthy for the recipients or the community, I'm sorry that this happened.

imho virulence of posts is ok when we are all open with each other, and appreciate each other's opinions. isn't that the ethos of open source? we are all unique, even by ourselves in different scenarios. but as a community we share goals and visions. sometimes the differences we have become more than we can cope with and communities fork so everyone can continue to live happily. that is ok too, and realistic too.

virulence of hidden agendas infesting the community is not ok. breaking core principles is not ok either, unless the entire community agrees. open source is a threat to some. the sorry aspect is when that external infection starts to become internal. better to be in a community without such infection(s), than continuously patching yet more and more wounds.

Last edited by josephg on Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, I originally wrote this GM script years ago for a reason I don't remember any more, but I guess that means it did the job:
Code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name        Gentoo Forums Killfile
// @include     https://forums.gentoo.org/*
// @grant       none
// ==/UserScript==
(function() {
    var names = new Set([ '<username 1 here>', '<user 2>', 'etc' ]);
    var nodes = new Map([
        [ 'tr'
        , [ '.forumline td.row1 .name' /* topic search */
          , '.forumline td.row3 .name' /* topic list */
          , '.forumline .name > a:empty + b' /* message list */ ] ] ]);
    for ( var [thingToRemove, usernameArea] of nodes ) {
        document.querySelectorAll(usernameArea).forEach(
            e => names.has(e.textContent) && e.closest(thingToRemove).remove() ); }
})();
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it doesn't hide the other person from seeing your posts! :D
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the limit, the forums would become like /dev/null.
Everyone writing, nobody reading.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:

Now that you mention it, I remember now. It was made as a last resort for exactly the kind of Dunning-Kruger cases who really needed to STFU and let others get a word in, but they couldn't be reasoned with at all, by anyone.
These were characters like miroR (banned here after 8 years or so, but unfortunately started annoying other communities as a result), tw${randomnumbers} (forever going into threads and posting useless "advice", sometimes outright dangerous), and that one developer who showed up out of the blue one day and went around derailing every thread into pages of systemd evangelism spam. There were probably others I'm forgetting, but I don't particularly want to remember things like that in any case.

Haven't felt the need myself to go muting anyone outright for a long time, but I don't see the harm in letting others do the same if it lowers the temperature.
josephg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Ant P.

eccerr0r wrote:

then i won't see s/he posts complaining about me to the mods :/ i think something like this has to be implemented server-side.
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if it were done server-side, what's to stop the other person from logging out and browsing the forums as guest? If we hide your posts from guests, threads become confusing for everyone. If we don't, it's trivial for the other person to keep reading your posts. Even if we took the hit of hiding your posts from guests, ill-behaved users could ignore the rule against duplicate accounts and register a separate account for the purpose of reading your posts.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

josephg, I looked into what you meant because I didn't recall any trollish behavior on your part in the threads where we crossed. I don't see any in the threads where you were cited for trolling, either. Apparently, some here like to quarrel and some devs don't want any criticism or suggestions at all. In fact I KNOW some of the devs are grade A assholes. No names, I don't feel like a flame war. My advice, from living and surviving 73 years, is to ignore the assholes. You just can't escape them. They are everywhere. IMHO the suggestion that you find another distro was way over the top and HE should be sanctioned not you.

Please stick around.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In any case I can't see the point. The forums are designed to be a support forum not a political debate. In my view disruptive users are best dealt with on a case by case basis.

My experience with "ignore" features is that they do more damage to the community than good. The best solution is the same one that works in real life. Avoid dealing with people you have a problem with, either mutual or otherwise, and if you have to interact take the high road and be civil.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
My advice, from living and surviving 73 years, is to ignore the assholes. You just can't escape them. They are everywhere. IMHO the suggestion that you find another distro was way over the top and HE should be sanctioned not you.

So suggesting a different distro if Gentoo stable is not enough (after josephg was coming up with the notion in a thread that complains about *not enough* updates for stable...) is a major offence?

Don't be stupid. It seems to me you read the words, but not the meaning. Unless you intentionally misunderstood the meaning - then we may ask again who's the asshole there.

Please note that I did not report anyone here, I merely responded in-thread to josephg's offtopic remarks.
josephg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
josephg was coming up with the notion in a thread that complains about *not enough* updates for stable...

asturm wrote:
josephg's offtopic remarks

so a user expects stable to be updated more than once "every four days", based on his past experience of stable getting very frequent updates. and i make a statement that gentoo stable needs to be more stable than that. how does that become "offtopic" (or trolling)? :roll:
Zucca

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys... Wouldn't it be best if you just accept that you don't have the same opinion about thing X and be done with it?
IMO it's only gonna get worse if you continue. But that's just me talking...
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

josephg wrote:
so a user expects stable to be updated more than once "every four days", based on his past experience of stable getting very frequent updates. and i make a statement that gentoo stable needs to be more stable than that. how does that become "offtopic"

The thread was opened out of fear that something was not right (either locally or upstream, who knows).

Everyone who responded confirming there was not much activity in that period, was on-topic. Anyone who responded with an attempt at discussing bleeding edge vs. more-stale-than-Debian was offtopic. That doesn't make it reportable, but don't be surprised when you're called out for it.

You should consider when being in a support- and when being in a chat subforum.
josephg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
Anyone who responded with an attempt at discussing bleeding edge vs. more-stale-than-Debian was offtopic.

please don't put words into my mouth!
whoever mentioned "Debian" in that topic? so that's why you have a problem.. i see :(

asturm wrote:
You should consider when being in a support- and when being in a chat subforum.

are you going to police each support- forum and tell everyone to go away to chat subforum anytime someone said anything about that topic which you don't agree with?

Zucca wrote:
Guys... Wouldn't it be best if you just accept that you don't have the same opinion about thing X and be done with it?
IMO it's only gonna get worse if you continue. But that's just me talking...

i agree. so i will say no more to asturm.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

josephg wrote:
whoever mentioned "Debian" in that topic? so that's why you have a problem.. i see :(

It is not enough to read words, once again.

josephg wrote:
are you going to police each support- forum and tell everyone to go away to chat subforum anytime someone said anything about that topic which you don't agree with?

No, not at all. I did not report you.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asturm: I did.
And I better stop here, if you know what Immean.
josephg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:
Asturm: I did.
And I better stop here, if you know what Immean.

yeah, we know exactly what you mean cause you never said anything except complain :/ and as you say, it's better for you to stop before you start. and i won't say anything further either. i have already said what i wanted to say to you. live peacefully in your corner, and let me live peacefully in mine. i don't wish to cross paths with you ever.
josephg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your support folks.. i'm humbled!
but some people here just can't seem to be civil.. i'm being name-called yet again

dear moderators, i understand your reason for not implementing blocks as you think everyone won't be heard by everyone. i have no need to be heard by those i want to block. it is also not my intention to block someone, and talk nasty about them behind their back so they can't read/respond. i also understand that users not logged in won't be identified and can skip around blocks.. which is acceptable. to keep it civil and sane, even in civilised societies, we avoid certain people. that is all i'm asking. if my behaviour is not reasonable, please call me out. but i do wish to keep my sanity, and avoid certain users here who seem to have issues with what i say.

Last edited by josephg on Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:44 am; edited 2 times in total
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off: Keep your passive-aggressive pissing contest to yourself. It won't work. http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#not_losing

Second: You've been posting a lot of completely factually wrong rubbish around the forums for quite a while now, and the fact everyone else around you has to correct you constantly doesn't seem to be registering with you. Nobody cares about your post count, but they do care when they constantly have to fight fires because there's an arsonist on the loose. You're not getting called names, you're getting called what you're being.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay we're scaring new users away!
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly not.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't the poster's decision that matters, it's the reader that makes the decision, registered or not.
josephg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
First off: Keep your passive-aggressive pissing contest to yourself

you are the one doing this pissing contest.. i, for one, am not interested in any contest with you or anyone else.
pot calling the kettle black? shame on you!

Ant P. wrote:
Second: You've been posting a lot of completely factually wrong rubbish around the forums for quite a while now, and the fact everyone else around you has to correct you constantly doesn't seem to be registering with you.

can you kindly point me to where "everyone else around" "has to constantly correct" me? certainly not in that topic, where you call me a troll. anywhere else? no? pot calling the kettle black again!

i can go through your posts, and find so many instances. but i can't be bothered about you now that i see what you truly are, and i'm certainly not going to stoop down to your level.

your attempt to bait me into your pissing contest (as you say) has the op correcting you there. i won't engage in your pissing contests, or whoever's flag you're trying to fly. go away!

Ant P. wrote:
Nobody cares about your post count

i don't either ;) but it seems you do..

are you speaking for everyone here, or some particular cabal, or just yourself?
Ant P. wrote:
but they do care when they constantly have to fight fires because there's an arsonist on the loose. You're not getting called names, you're getting called what you're being.

there you go again... sad wo/man! perhaps you should look at yourself, whether what you say applies to you.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: