qt4 compile for vlc
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: qt4 compile for vlc Reply with quote

I'm interested in compiling (because of the many configuration options available in vlc) the latest source code. The problem for some reason it failes to compile at some point, looks like some issue with qt4 or qt5 normally would be handled with a USE flag if I were using the merge function. Since my system is a gentoo system that I recently installed, see output of emerge --info here https://paste.pound-python.org/show/9hi1WVqJ4dyn8vUGmJtD/

The problem which I don't know what to show for the issue itself, is somehow related to qt4 looking at qt5 in local file tree for the qtwidget and returning many errors in the process. Since I have previously not been aware of any way to do so, could someone please explain the general method (not the developer one if possible, but the user method) for selecting a single qt format and compiling with based on that?
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you're trying to compile from source manually (without emerge)?
Because vlc-9999 (present in portage tree) use latest code from git, you can use this.

For handling qt version manually read here
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I was included emerge --info, but the purpose is to compile from source.

The reason is so I can configure the specific aspects available through the build of the software. Is that somehow an options with what is made available through portage tree to me as a user? How? I want to tell emerge to download but not install the ebuild and then take an intermediate step to configure the source for the correct approach to building the software of my choice.

Ty for the link by the way, it was helpful and somewhat informative but I really don't know much what I'm doing when it comes to gui. And hence, with qtchooser and qmake those tools go way beyond me. I was hoping to just find out if the qt libraries are all working on my machine. It seems like the two commands that are available for that validate it. But somehow the compiling of software in this instance continues to fall through at the point of calling on qt5 widgets (library).

As for that issue, I haven't tested it with other software, but will try and hopefully will know if the problem exists with one of the packages currently installed on my machine. Other things I've tried is changing use flags or installation options for other packages like cmake, and one other I can't recall.

Working on trying to build up the courage to have enough to elicit a response from this forum. With regards to this one, if all else fails, I have a previously built and fully functional version of the software (several actually) already on my system. This is an effort to continue modifying the install and eventually I will be able to remove some of the previous versions of vlc. (FYI - feel free if interested to move this to the Multimedia Topic if reading and thinking it belons there.)
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tool you would want to read up on, is the ebuild command (This is also a command, not just a file describing a package), which is the low level tool that portage calls to perform the various steps, of unpack, configure, compile and stuff.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After having read up a bit on the topic of using commands for interacting with the ebuild...it appears it has the capability to be useful. What would help me at this time is to gain better awareness of if the purpose of such a tool (ebuild or emerge for that matter) is also meant to completely replace either git or some other source code and build methods. Is it possible to do what I want with ebuild? I am interested in having some access to (either interactively or through a preset defined method) all the builds options available when building from scratch, so to speak?

Much thanks in advance.
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
... What would help me at this time is to gain better awareness of if the purpose of such a tool (ebuild or emerge for that matter) is also meant to completely replace either git or some other source code and build methods.

Try the following and see what happens:
Code:
cd $(portageq get_repo_path / gentoo)/media-video/vlc
ebuild vlc-9999.ebuild unpack
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What would help me at this time is to gain better awareness of if the purpose of such a tool (ebuild or emerge for that matter) is also meant to completely replace either git or some other source code and build methods.

Your misunderstanding what ebuild does, in that it doesn't replace git or anything else. The purpose that ebuild does, is to run each step(s) necessary to install a package, all the way from fetching the source, unpacking, patching it, configuring it, and all the way through install and cleanup. Think about what all your really need to do; as my understanding is that your more of wanting to set specific configure options before the package it built...

This means, you are not really caring about how the sources are fetched, and unpacked. Since you are wanting configure, I'd go ahead and have ebuild go through the configure step, to get the default configuration setup (and ensure the necessary configuration files are made). Afterwards, you can do the configure command in the working directory to see what other configure options you can set. After that, do you really care about the compile stage beyond seeing if the settings worked or not? Probably not. You said you are not interested on having the package installed, so you wouldn't do the merge/qmerge or anything after...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: