Problems ripping Imbruglia WLI cd
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 6:55 am    Post subject: Problems ripping Imbruglia WLI cd Reply with quote

Anyone else have problems ripping Natalie Imbruglia's CD White Lilies Island? I did some research before I removed the cellophane. What I found suggested that the US CD did not have any copy protection. Also, that many places (not in the US) were carrying the 'new' CD w/o copy protection. I couldn't find any definitive answers on how to identify the CD, opened or unopened. Does anyone know?

I took a chance, hoping what I'd found was accurate. Unfortunately, I think the US CDs have copy protection. My first attempt to rip the CD generated the first track without problems. Tracks 2-12 had intermittent bursts of 'popping' sounds. Next, I tried ripping tracks 2-12, excluding 1. Track 2 came out OK. This worked for track 3 as well, but thats it. I can't get tracks 4-12 to rip w/o the popping.

In addition, the popping is heard when playing the CD through the CD-ROM drive. I haven't yet had the opportunity to test in a non-PC CD player. Will do that tomorrow. Looks like I'll be spending several days 'exchanging' CDs until they get sick of seeing me.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

worst part about that 'exchanging' bit is that they try to pull the whole 'your being a bad consumer' attitude when you do it more than once, raising their voice and making everyone in the place stare at you.

god I hate that.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I plan to be upfront and direct about it with them. The product was not marked, and I cannot use it. I will gladly exchange it for a CD I can use. If they keep giving me a CD I cannot use, then I'll keep returning them. I want the CD, thats what pisses me off.

If they decide to 'raise their voice', then I will join in the fun. I also plan to ask if they have any info on contacting BMG for a replacement. Supposedly BMG was doing this in the UK, but I've not found mention of it in the US.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
klieber
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a whole lotta discussion on this across the net. Check here.

--kurt
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've been through many, many links that Google turned up. I could find no references to my problem (popping) or how to identify the copy protected CDs. Some links mention a copyright for Cactus or CDS 200 (or siimilar, I forget exactly) but my CD has nothing of the sort. I've even tried registering at Natalie's Official Bulletin Board, but their registration process is either broken or very lacking.

Thanks for the tips, I knew it was a longshot.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I could find no acceptable solution to make the CD playable (never mind ripable). I took the CD back to the store and asked if they were familiar with copy protection that was on some CDs . I explained to them that the # near the UPC label had reports of containing the copy protection and that I wanted to avoid exchanging the CD for another CD with the same problem. After being referred to a 'media' person, we learned that the store had no stock of the CD other than the one I had. I was not met with any ranting or difficulty. The 'media' person suggested I check another store to see if a different lot was available. I was able to get store credit, which is fine for me, so I'd have to say I'm satisfied with how they delt with the issue. Unfortunately, I don't have a CD that I want. I may have to try an import.

Warning to anyone interested in this CD. The one I bought had no references to the Cactus protection or CDS200 logo that some claim it has. Do not rely on that as an indicator. Look for UPC numbers or 'batch' numbers.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I would rip of Imbruglia, is her clothes!

Hope they are not copy-proteced! :twisted:

Erik
dn1282
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm...why not just download the mp3's?
i did...and by the way, this cd kinda sucks compared to her last one. :roll:
klieber
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dn1282 wrote:

Because that's illegal, at least under U.S. law. And we don't discuss illegal things on these forums. :)

Not to mention that the vast majority of MP3s available on the internet (both legal and otherwise) are recorded at such crappy quality as to make the listening experience far less enjoyable.

--kurt
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:

Not to mention that the vast majority of MP3s available on the internet (both legal and otherwise) are recorded at such crappy quality as to make the listening experience far less enjoyable.

--kurt

The wonders of cheap speakers/onboard sound. My mp3s sound just like cds.
dn1282
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsfgf wrote:
klieber wrote:

--kurt

The wonders of cheap speakers/onboard sound. My mp3s sound just like cds.

so do mine...and if you have the ability to tell the difference between cd tracks and mp3 tracks (at 192 kbps or higher) just by listening alone and not using any special programs or instruments or whatever, your ears must be a LOT better than mine :D
klieber
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dn1282 wrote:
if you have the ability to tell the difference between cd tracks and mp3 tracks (at 192 kbps or higher) just by listening alone and not using any special programs or instruments or whatever, your ears must be a LOT better than mine :D

It all depends on the quality of your speakers. If you're using the $20 specials from CompUSA, then there likely will be little, if any difference. If, however, you're using much higher-quality speakers, then you absolutely can hear a difference -- especially in the range of the music in the low and high ends.

--kurt
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
dn1282 wrote:
if you have the ability to tell the difference between cd tracks and mp3 tracks (at 192 kbps or higher) just by listening alone and not using any special programs or instruments or whatever, your ears must be a LOT better than mine :D

It all depends on the quality of your speakers. If you're using the $20 specials from CompUSA, then there likely will be little, if any difference. If, however, you're using much higher-quality speakers, then you absolutely can hear a difference -- especially in the range of the music in the low and high ends.

--kurt

And it also depends on the music.
If you are talking techno, rap or even rock. It really doesn't matter that much. But if you are talking Classical or opera, the difference can be heard easily sometimes.

Not that I can hear the difference, but then again, I have never claimed to be a music expert either :lol:

Erik
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dn1282 wrote:
  1. I do not use mp3s.
  2. I purchase my music.
  3. Because I usually find less than acceptable ripped versions on the net. Shorter or longer in length than the CD lists or poor sound quality.
Quote:
i did... and by the way, this cd kinda sucks compared to her last one. :roll:
I liked it. Since you don't think much of it, did you delete the mp3s?

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: