Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How come Cant install anything with automake?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:07 am    Post subject: How come Cant install anything with automake? Reply with quote

Question since I just got finished installing the operating system, my log files are not yet ideally set, so I hope that i can provide enough info. Here is what has happened, as I try to install packages that seem to rely on the automake tool or some other variant they all seem to fail (during the starting phase)

Here are some links to the output, and could someone please advise if they are aware of any buggy stuff with some of the software flags that have been set. Thanks

Build log
https://paste.pound-python.org/show/RxJRKT8I7YgKG9ZyQmh0/

output of emerge --info for the package
https://paste.pound-python.org/show/FXnSH8WSwSYrgSr5QXAN/

and emerge -pv for the same package
https://paste.pound-python.org/show/iv0cOxpBkY5ZmYqiqD5g/
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://paste.pound-python.org/show/l4GlMfe9GvuzjQz2UXsZ/
(example with another package with same problem occuring)
russK
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

automake is slotted. Some packages need different versions of automake. I currently have two versions installed (1.11 and 1.15):

Code:
$ equery list automake
 * Searching for automake ...
[IP-] [  ] sys-devel/automake-1.11.6-r1:1.11
[IP-] [  ] sys-devel/automake-1.15-r2:1.15

The failing package may want a different automake from what you have installed. The ebuild author may not have been aware of the issue or sometimes it just happens.

See this: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Known_Problems

HTH
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this russk, it is for sure a good thought and for a number of reasons. Of what was mentioned i have attempted so far from the link you posted to mask it (actially i had tried already and should have probably said so in the first place), after seeing the same webpage online. And then in terms of slotted packages i really was previously not comfortable with doing it any other way than with the help of the graphical tool of porthole to manage the slots.

What are the methods from cli for installing numbers of slots for the same package? Can it be done with emerge, cant recall using it before?

And to solve the problem, I am curious if you had a chance to look through the emerge --info settings i posted for any other issues present. It is a spanking new system installation and frankly i was wondering at what point was i going to hit my firsy road bump so this hopefully isnt what it could be which is some more general all encompassing problems with C compiler or something of that sort (at least)... :wink:
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portage(emerge) handles most of the work on dealing with slots for you, so you don't need to fight with them. This works out in that most times, you won't need to worry about a specific slot of a package. Now if you want to reference a specific slot (like to uninstall that slot specific or reinstall it), the easier way it to put a :SLOT_NUMBER after the package.

Code:
[IP-] [  ] sys-devel/automake-1.11.6-r1:1.11
[IP-] [  ] sys-devel/automake-1.15-r2:1.15

An example, if you want to reference automake-1.11.6, you can simple put down automake:1.11 and it will reference that slot specific. You can also always do the alternative way, and go with it's version instead, which will be more like =sys-devel/automake-1.11.6-r1.

Edit: By default, portage is going to reference the newest version that satisfy the package dependencies
russK
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood,

I looked at your pastes and they don't contain enough information to tell what is going wrong.

I was able to emerge on my system both x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel and app-shells/tcsh, so I would expect them to succeed with automake-1.15-r2

Can you post the results from these?

Code:
$ equery list -p automake

Code:
$ aclocal --version
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russk, thanks for the help. I just had to restart the system... Baaadd idea...it did not boot properly...terminal with login for wrong hostname (and openRC is not working correctly) all of which appearing after issue of my posting (automake).

The events leading up to now: involved installing x11 and laptop lost power in the middle. Would like to do some health check on the system, but don't know of anyway, maybe through my other Gentoo box, to be able to remove some of those x11 packages, even though emerge is not working from the target machine's cli.

When I try running emerge, I get
Quote:
"Failed to validate a sane /dev"
and
Quote:
"bash process substitution doesnt work: this may be an indication of a broken '/dev/fd'."
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I was able to isolate ghe problem, which was that i previously unmerged a shell (app-shells?) from system without first changing what was a link pointing to a non existent location afterwards. Once fixing that I was able to continue the rest of the installations I had mentioned, but only after fixig those other bad file links for the likes of /dev/fd and a feew others.

No worries anymore, and thanks for taking the time to go down the path doesnt seem like it will require any more though in terms of troubleshooting .
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: