View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just recruit bug wranglers either as staff or as developers without repository access? Once there is some practical experience with project specific bug wranglers further refinements could be put in place, if for example the staff quiz was insufficiently technical and the developer quizzes were overly technical for screening qualified bug wranglers. One advantage of using this approach is that it could be implemented now without waiting through the GLEP process.
reavertm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that could done this way - Gentoo Bug Wranglers Project does not specify any requirements for bug wranglers so I guess it's safe to assume that they could be (so far) recruited as staff. My proposal still would be valid - to introduce project-specified bug wranglers (it is necessary to narrow the scope thus lowering requirements). Where should I proceed to make it 'legal'?
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask a project lead if they want a bug wrangler, remind them that staff recruiting is valid for that role and that the recruiting process is simpler for staff. Bringing a finished quiz might help your case, just wait for them to mention it before offering it. Most of the answers are in the "Gentoo Developer Handbook", though others hide places like a GLEP or even a list of lists. If you are already involved to some extent with the project mentoring should be fairly easy to come by, and in some cases it is largely a formality even then.
Rad
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What could be other possibilities for people wanting to contribute, that are not currently used?

Try to adopt more of the projects of the wider ecosystem into Gentoo.

To give an impression of what I mean by that in spirit: Funtoo has patches to its Portage that may not all be irrelevant to everyone, Paludis and Pkgcore might be run in QA automated tests that run on ebuilds (even if reacting on failures might be non-binding), and maybe some of the Portage tools might become Portage functionality or at least part of a meta-package of useful tools with a snippet of documentation.

I can guess that some of these were a technical problem to get done, while others may just have been a lot of work that no one had any interest in. But I just think if the wider ecosystem has resources, and if those were tapped into, supported and maybe just plain acknowledged more, it might quite likely result in more contributions. And/or more happy situations, anyways.

Quote:
How and where could we best publicize these?

One idea: have a fancy graph / statistics sections about open bugs, ebuild requests, poor wiki articles, and so on in multiple prominent places. Especially the things that volunteers typically can most easily get involved in should be presented that way - graphs / statistics make people click, and numbers get people motivated as well.

I know that there is the bug tracker, but it's not even nearly as fancy as even p.g.o, and not really prominent or otherwise likely effective at catching average user's attention...
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rad wrote:

Quote:
How and where could we best publicize these?

One idea: have a fancy graph / statistics sections about open bugs, ebuild requests, poor wiki articles, and so on in multiple prominent places. Especially the things that volunteers typically can most easily get involved in should be presented that way - graphs / statistics make people click, and numbers get people motivated as well.

I know that there is the bug tracker, but it's not even nearly as fancy as even p.g.o, and not really prominent or otherwise likely effective at catching average user's attention...

Have you read the monthly newsletter? http://blogs.gentoo.org/news/2014/06/02/gentoo-monthly-newsletter-may-2014/
Rad
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
Have you read the monthly newsletter? http://blogs.gentoo.org/news/2014/06/02/gentoo-monthly-newsletter-may-2014/

Thanks for the reference! That's certainly a match with most of what I said. But it is not quite what I had in mind, mainly because of the intended audience. The newsletter is showing information mostly aimed at people in the core developer herds.

It's not so much about showing what work specifically needs doing by "anyone" - especially issues suitable for people not (yet?) part of a herd.

I think it would might be good to list specific things in a simple fashion: "package requests with no ebuild", "wiki pages marked as in need of more work", "wiki articles not reviewed in three years", "ebuilds that currently have no specific maintainer", "packages in need of a program patch", and so on.
Each would list individual issues linked directly to the place where you can get involved with fixing the specific issue in question, making it dead simple to pick and get started on something that you feel you probably can help with. [It might also be a good idea to add an instructive "how do I go about helping out in this category?" page that explains the formalities, maybe some terminology and where help is when you get stuck, as well as how the contributed work ties into the process the herd in question does.]
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griz is still dead.

See ya when you get there; if you ever get there..
miket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
Griz is still dead.

Man, am I ever glad to see that you're not! I'd wondered where you'd gone.

One freaky thing for me in relation to Griz: he was two weeks younger than I am.
ChrisADR
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me revive this post :)

I haven't read all the posts, but hopefully, this idea is not duplicated.

The idea is quite simple, there should be a way to thank maintainer/developer(s) of a package or maybe someone who writes a wiki, or someone who fixes a bug in Bugzilla.

It could be maybe adding to emerge --ask the next line before or after the installation:

Quote:
would you like to thank the developer for keeping this package up to date?[Yes/No]

I know that in the wiki, for example, there's a way to thank the writer, but maybe this could be somewhere more "public" maybe for other Linux users to be able to thank the article even if they don't use Gentoo or have a Gentoo wiki account.

I think that everyone in this forum knows that Gentoo users are known for having depth Linux's knowledge, but we could also be known to be a very welcoming community.

As I can see (please someone correct me if I'm wrong), the number of developers right now can't handle all the projects and packages to keep everything running smoothly (some of them have to help in 6 or 7 different projects) and maybe it's because users are afraid or don't know how to help... I was learning how to use Gentoo by myself for 6 months wondering if I was "prepared" to help developers that know a lot more than me (maybe that's the bad side of ''user with depth Linux knowledge'' reputation)... I have to thank all the developers who had helped me this week and made me comfortable trying to help, even when I don't know how to, or I'm not 100% correct.

I know that Gentoo is the product of hours and hours of hard work and lots of free hours dedicated to improving this project. That's an effort that must be recognized not only by the other Gentoo developers but by every person that uses our forums, wikis, posts, anything.

This is the last idea and maybe the one that needs more feedback, I think that the only way to feel that you connect with someone (person, project, etc) is by knowing it, but not only knowing the theory, there should be emotions involved, someone must feel excited about what's doing, and be able to share that excitement with others in order to keep the flame alive. I know that everybody has "real world" problems and lives, I have them too, but making the community vibrate of excitement is a "real world" problem, too. I think that all the developers (I'm including myself in the group because I want to be a developer too) must teach this with the example, especially if you are a project's leader or a very active member.

Maybe, for example, open an exclusive IRC channel like #gentoo-joinus with all the projects' leaders and maybe some members that can ensure that the channel always has someone to ask questions about how to join, or maybe someone that could guide the user through the process of searching the right project.

I hope that this helps to bring new ideas to the community and maybe help all the developers to receive more requests of people willing to help. Please don't let this post die in the lonelyness :p I spent like an hour verifying that every parragraph makes sense :p
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: