Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
how do you play path of exile on gentoo?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cryptopsy1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: how do you play path of exile on gentoo? Reply with quote

I'm not a gamer or wine user, but i wondering how the framerate comapres in linux versus gentoo, so here i am trying to install it. How do i install it? I have tried various games in the past, like all the blizzard games, on wine, but would also give an error i could not figure out. Do i need play on linux? I need a guide, suitable for retards, and i intend to document my attempts in this thread.
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a l4m3 hobbyist g4m3r, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I see that PoE is on Steam, which makes me suspect you need Steam for Linux. I used to have Steam on Linux, but I stopped using it some time ago, for reasons that have nothing to do with its functionality. It worked very well.

There is an overlay for this, but I don't recall what it is. You can also download Steam for Linux directly and install it.

If you didn't get it on Steam, my advice is BS. :(

I used to play various games on Linux, so I will jump in if I know something as this thread progresses.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PoE does not require steam.
There are some support topics for PoE on Linux at PoE forums/wiki etc.
Unfortunately, I wasn't successful in my attempts, game keeps crashing with DX error just after loading screen (so I created a character and I'm unable to enter world).

I didn't really bother with troubleshooting it though, mostly went through their guide from wiki, failed, and gave up, since I didn't consider it important enough.
Anyway, if you describe your setup and the errors you see, someone may be able to help you.
Edit: install it by downloading a loader from their website, and then invoke wine /path/to/the/loader
It will pull like 10GB archive and then extract it before launching the game, so make sure you have sufficient space in your $HOME. You can also copy game's files from windows, if you have another install, though in this case you'd probably just launch it from windows.
cryptopsy1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:
PoE does not require steam.
There are some support topics for PoE on Linux at PoE forums/wiki etc.
Unfortunately, I wasn't successful in my attempts, game keeps crashing with DX error just after loading screen (so I created a character and I'm unable to enter world).

I didn't really bother with troubleshooting it though, mostly went through their guide from wiki, failed, and gave up, since I didn't consider it important enough.
Anyway, if you describe your setup and the errors you see, someone may be able to help you.
Edit: install it by downloading a loader from their website, and then invoke wine /path/to/the/loader
It will pull like 10GB archive and then extract it before launching the game, so make sure you have sufficient space in your $HOME. You can also copy game's files from windows, if you have another install, though in this case you'd probably just launch it from windows.

this is how i've been installing all games so far (but failed), anyways, i will edit this comment when i make enough space to install it, as right now i'm testing some other project.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Last time I tried Path of Exile was probably around 2014-2015, and it worked quite well back then.

I just gave it a go now, and it seemed to work out of the box with both of the two DirectX 9 settings, using Wine 2.10 (vanilla and staging). The machine I was using has an nVidia GTX 960, running with the 'nvidia-drivers-381.22-r1'.

szatox wrote:
and then invoke wine /path/to/the/loader

In general it's best to 'cd' to the directory and do 'wine executable' instead. In Windows, the working directory is changed automagically, while it doesn't happen when using Wine on Linux. Some things will work OK regardless, but some will fail. :]
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only recently installed PoE on this computer; been running it since 2013 on my laptop. So it has worked and still does.

For me the installation just worked. (NVidia graphics and proprietary drivers)

Download the installer from here: https://www.pathofexile.com/downloads/PathOfExileInstaller.exe
Install wine - for me it worked best with the staging patchset enabled (installation worked with wine 2.3 and 2.9)
Optional install winetricks
Go to the location you downloaded the installer to, double click it and it should start installing PoE into the default wine location.
The installation (allocating space and especially the download of 8.x GB of data) can take quite a while.
Usually, PoE now works. Sometimes it's having problems when it is started in window mode on linux; to have it start in full screen go to ~/Documents/My Games/Path of Exile/ and edit the production_Config.ini

[DISPLAY]
adapter_name=NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
borderless_windowed_fullscreen=true ← set to false
directx_version=auto
dx11_antialias_mode=0
dx9_antialias_mode=0
fullscreen=false ← set to true

Run winecfg from a command line, choose the tab "staging" and enable CSMT; you might also want to change the Windows version to Win8 or Win10. Click apply.
The game should run in DirectX9 (ex) mode now. If you have a DE running, you should also have an icon on your desktop or in your start menu. If the game starts, go to its options and verify that it's set to DX9(ex), not to DX11. DX11 on Wine has still not matured, so the menu might perhaps work, but not the game itself (haven't tested).
If you do not have a DE running, open a terminal, change to the installation folder (usually .wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Grinding Gear Games/Path of Exile/) and run
Code:

wine PathOfExile.exe
or
wine PathOfExile_x64.exe

The will try DX11 mode and fail and then automatically choose DX9.

If PoE still does not work, run
winetricks
in a terminal.

In the window that opens the radio button "choose the default wine prefix" will be ticked. Click OK
Choose "Install Windows DLL or component"
Choose d3dx9_43, riched20, usp10, vcrun2015, click OK - this will install some native windows dlls.

Try again - it should work now.
If it still doesn't work, you can try switching off compositing, if your DE does it/ or switch it on if it doesn't. (I run it on XFCE4 with compositing on on one computer and compositing off on another, so it really shouldn't make much of a difference)

The game's graphics engine is rather... strange. It's known to not run well on some high-end cards, especially AMD and on the other hand on some lower end cards it runs more or less flawlessly.

I wish you good luck getting the game to run.
See you in Wraeclast.
Now it's time for the harvest
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: