Profiles and multilib [SOLVED with return to nomultilib]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Profiles and multilib [SOLVED with return to nomultilib] Reply with quote

I have been frequently finding it necessary to switch profiles in order to get updates done (what a mess!!). Here are my questions in short...and some explanation of those...problems:

1) I have to nail down the right profile for a qt environment, with the enlightenment window manager. I do not use systemd. I am finding that whatever profile I select (other than nomultilib) I have problems with compiling. That could be because the initial C compiler and other packages were emerged with a profile that was pure 64-bit (nomultilib).

2) If I attempt to navigate outside of the nomultilib profile, like to desktop or developer or whatever, I am stuck with the issue of how to instruct Portage to please not install the 32bit libraries or binaries for any of those applications. Some applications of course naturally do not have it, so I am sure that I can at least partially update the system. <THIS LEAVES ME VERY ANXIOUS>

Here is what happens when I have a desktop profile selected, and I try to install a package that would require some multilib support:

Code:
playby portage # eselect profile list
Available profile symlink targets:
  [1]   default/linux/amd64/13.0
  [2]   default/linux/amd64/13.0/selinux
  [3]   default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop *
  [4]   default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/gnome
  [5]   default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/gnome/systemd
  [6]   default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/plasma
  [7]   default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/plasma/systemd
  [8]   default/linux/amd64/13.0/developer
  [9]   default/linux/amd64/13.0/no-multilib
  [10]  default/linux/amd64/13.0/systemd
  [11]  default/linux/amd64/13.0/x32
  [12]  hardened/linux/amd64
  [13]  hardened/linux/amd64/selinux
  [14]  hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib
  [15]  hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib/selinux
  [16]  hardened/linux/amd64/x32
  [17]  hardened/linux/musl/amd64
  [18]  hardened/linux/musl/amd64/x32
  [19]  default/linux/uclibc/amd64
  [20]  hardened/linux/uclibc/amd64

Code:
Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R    ] sys-apps/sandbox-2.10-r3::gentoo  ABI_X86="(32*) (64) (-x32)" 0 KiB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 KiB

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No]

It then fails due to my C compiler having been originally installed (i guess) on a no multilib system.

Now, I'm not sure if I really need to reinstall this application, or the compiler, or starting even further back in the system installation and proceed from there. I've tried setting use flags to avail all over, and currently have a whole mess of package.use and package.accept_keywords going on. The make.conf file is even beginning to look a little messy, so before I attempt anything else is there a solution for no multilib support other than the profile setting? And what is it!?

8)

[Moderator edit: changed [quote] tags to [code] tags to preserve output layout. -Hu]

Last edited by LIsLinuxIsSogood on Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What prohibits you to use no-multilib and X with QT, GTK, whatnot? The answer is nothing is on your way. Leave it on no-multilib and build from there. You can specify the same flags as KDE profile globally in your make.conf with no-multilib and achieve the same result.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow thanks for making me feel so dumb. jk, cool!!!
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the help...It feels good to have all this behind me with the switching back and forth and experiencing heavy ?'s myself about the topic of why nothing would work. you are truly a golden model of a helper!

Probably the most helpful aspect of the entire thing was a) I got the efi libraries to be recognized again. And b) All my icons are back on my machine as are the correct softwares in general.

Please let me know if there are some other good resources to pull from when it comes to the desktop profiles besides poking around in them of course and learning by doing.

I appreciate the help!

If it would help to know how the system is looking now, I can post the output of emerge --info, and send it but for now it seems a bit excessive given the simplicity of the solution, I will just take it as a WIN!...with some help!
spikyatlinux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Difference between profiles Reply with quote

Have a look about the default differnces:

Code:
default/linux/amd64/13.0: cracklib cxx xattr berkdb crypt ipv6 ncurses nls pam readline ssl tcpd zlib fortran openmp seccomp cli pcre session dri iconv
modules multilib bzip2 acl gdbm nptl unicode

default/linux/amd64/13.0/selinux: cracklib cxx xattr berkdb crypt ipv6 ncurses nls pam readline ssl tcpd zlib fortran openmp seccomp cli pcre session dri
iconv modules multilib bzip2 acl gdbm nptl unicode selinux unconfined open_perms

default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop: cracklib cxx xattr berkdb crypt ipv6 ncurses nls pam readline ssl tcpd zlib fortran openmp seccomp cli pcre session iconv
modules multilib bzip2 acl gdbm nptl a52 aac acpi alsa bluetooth branding cairo cdda cdr consolekit cups dbus dri dts dvd dvdr emboss encode exif fam firefox flac gif
glamor gpm gtk jpeg lcms ldap libnotify mad mng mp3 mp4 mpeg ogg opengl pango pdf png policykit ppds qt3support qt4 sdl spell startup-notification svg tiff truetype
vorbis udev udisks unicode upower usb wxwidgets X xcb x264 xml xv xvid

default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/gnome: cracklib cxx xattr berkdb crypt ipv6 ncurses nls pam readline ssl tcpd zlib fortran openmp seccomp cli pcre session
iconv modules multilib bzip2 acl gdbm nptl colord eds evo gnome gnome-keyring gnome-online-accounts gstreamer introspection libsecret nautilus pulseaudio tracker a52 aac
acpi alsa bluetooth branding cairo cdda cdr consolekit cups dbus dri dts dvd dvdr emboss encode exif fam firefox flac gif glamor gpm gtk jpeg lcms ldap libnotify mad mng
mp3 mp4 mpeg ogg opengl pango pdf png policykit ppds qt3support qt4 sdl spell startup-notification svg tiff truetype vorbis udev udisks unicode upower usb wxwidgets X
xcb x264 xml xv xvid

default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/gnome/systemd: cracklib cxx xattr berkdb crypt ipv6 ncurses nls pam readline ssl tcpd zlib fortran openmp seccomp cli pcre
session iconv modules multilib bzip2 acl gdbm nptl colord eds evo gnome gnome-keyring gnome-online-accounts gstreamer introspection libsecret nautilus pulseaudio tracker
a52 aac acpi alsa bluetooth branding cairo cdda cdr consolekit cups dbus dri dts dvd dvdr emboss encode exif fam firefox flac gif glamor gpm gtk jpeg lcms ldap libnotify
mad mng mp3 mp4 mpeg ogg opengl pango pdf png policykit ppds qt3support qt4 sdl spell startup-notification svg tiff truetype vorbis udisks unicode upower usb wxwidgets X
xcb x264 xml xv xvid systemd udev

default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/plasma: cracklib cxx xattr berkdb crypt ipv6 ncurses nls pam readline ssl tcpd zlib fortran openmp seccomp cli pcre session
iconv modules multilib bzip2 acl gdbm nptl declarative kde kipi kwallet phonon plasma qml qt5 semantic-desktop widgets xcomposite xinerama xscreensaver a52 aac acpi alsa
bluetooth branding cairo cdda cdr consolekit cups dbus dri dts dvd dvdr emboss encode exif fam firefox flac gif glamor gpm gtk jpeg lcms ldap libnotify mad mng mp3 mp4
mpeg ogg opengl pango pdf png policykit ppds qt3support qt4 sdl spell startup-notification svg tiff truetype vorbis udev udisks unicode upower usb wxwidgets X xcb x264
xml xv xvid

default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/plasma/systemd: cracklib cxx xattr berkdb crypt ipv6 ncurses nls pam readline ssl tcpd zlib fortran openmp seccomp cli pcre
session iconv modules multilib bzip2 acl gdbm nptl declarative kde kipi kwallet phonon plasma qml qt5 semantic-desktop widgets xcomposite xinerama xscreensaver a52 aac
acpi alsa bluetooth branding cairo cdda cdr consolekit cups dbus dri dts dvd dvdr emboss encode exif fam firefox flac gif glamor gpm gtk jpeg lcms ldap libnotify mad mng
mp3 mp4 mpeg ogg opengl pango pdf png policykit ppds qt3support qt4 sdl spell startup-notification svg tiff truetype vorbis udisks unicode upower usb wxwidgets X xcb
x264 xml xv xvid systemd udev

default/linux/amd64/13.0/developer: cracklib cxx xattr berkdb crypt ipv6 ncurses nls pam readline ssl tcpd zlib fortran openmp seccomp cli pcre session
iconv modules multilib bzip2 acl gdbm nptl snmp a52 aac acpi alsa bluetooth branding cairo cdda cdr consolekit cups dbus dri dts dvd dvdr emboss encode exif fam firefox
flac gif glamor gpm gtk jpeg lcms ldap libnotify mad mng mp3 mp4 mpeg ogg opengl pango pdf png policykit ppds qt3support qt4 sdl spell startup-notification svg tiff
truetype vorbis udev udisks unicode upower usb wxwidgets X xcb x264 xml xv xvid

default/linux/amd64/13.0/no-multilib: cracklib cxx xattr berkdb crypt ipv6 ncurses nls pam readline ssl tcpd zlib fortran openmp seccomp cli pcre session
dri iconv modules multilib bzip2 acl gdbm nptl unicode

default/linux/amd64/13.0/systemd: cracklib cxx xattr berkdb crypt ipv6 ncurses nls pam readline ssl tcpd zlib fortran openmp seccomp cli pcre session dri
iconv modules multilib bzip2 acl gdbm nptl unicode systemd udev

default/linux/amd64/13.0/x32: cracklib cxx xattr berkdb crypt ipv6 ncurses nls pam readline ssl tcpd zlib fortran openmp seccomp cli pcre session dri iconv
modules bzip2 acl gdbm nptl unicode multilib

hardened/linux/amd64: cracklib cxx xattr berkdb crypt ipv6 ncurses nls pam readline ssl tcpd zlib openmp seccomp cli pcre session dri iconv modules justify
multilib hardened pax_kernel pic urandom xtpax -fortran -jit -orc bzip2 acl gdbm nptl unicode

hardened/linux/amd64/selinux: cracklib cxx xattr berkdb crypt ipv6 ncurses nls pam readline ssl tcpd zlib openmp seccomp cli pcre session dri iconv modules
justify multilib hardened pax_kernel pic urandom xtpax -fortran -jit -orc bzip2 acl gdbm nptl unicode selinux unconfined open_perms

hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib: cracklib cxx xattr berkdb crypt ipv6 ncurses nls pam readline ssl tcpd zlib openmp seccomp cli pcre session dri iconv
modules justify multilib hardened pax_kernel urandom xtpax -fortran -jit -orc bzip2 acl gdbm nptl unicode -pic

hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib/selinux: cracklib cxx xattr berkdb crypt ipv6 ncurses nls pam readline ssl tcpd zlib openmp seccomp cli pcre session dri
iconv modules justify multilib hardened pax_kernel urandom xtpax -fortran -jit -orc bzip2 acl gdbm nptl unicode -pic selinux unconfined open_perms

hardened/linux/amd64/x32: cracklib cxx xattr berkdb crypt ipv6 ncurses nls pam readline ssl tcpd zlib openmp seccomp cli pcre session dri iconv modules
justify multilib hardened pax_kernel pic urandom xtpax -fortran -jit -orc bzip2 acl gdbm nptl unicode

hardened/linux/musl/amd64: hardened nptl pax_kernel pic unicode -jit -orc cracklib cxx xattr berkdb crypt ipv6 ncurses nls pam readline ssl tcpd zlib
fortran openmp seccomp cli pcre session dri iconv modules

hardened/linux/musl/amd64/x32: hardened nptl pax_kernel pic unicode -jit -orc cracklib cxx xattr berkdb crypt ipv6 ncurses nls pam readline ssl tcpd zlib
fortran openmp seccomp cli pcre session dri iconv modules

default/linux/uclibc/amd64: nptl unicode cracklib cxx xattr berkdb crypt ipv6 ncurses nls pam readline ssl tcpd zlib fortran openmp seccomp cli pcre session
dri iconv modules

Regards
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: