Federation with jabberd2 and mu-conference
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unix Ronin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Federation with jabberd2 and mu-conference Reply with quote

OK, so. i have jabberd2 and mu-conference set up on one of my servers, and have had it so for several years. Prior to that I had it running on a Solaris 10 box. Either way, remote users could connect to mu-conference chats set up on our jabberd ... as long as they used an account also set up on our local jabberd. I know that XMPP is SUPPOSED to allow federated connections; as I understand it, anyone with any jabber account anywhere (GTalk for example) should be able to connect to my mu-conference chats provided they have the right address and the password for the chat. But I can't seem to make that actually work.

Can anyone tell me what it is I'm most likely doing wrong or not doing? Any firewall ports that need to be opened that I don't know about? Any kind of peering i need to set up, and how? Etc? I've obviously missed (or misunderstood) something, but if I knew what it was, I wouldn't have to be asking.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have correct DNS SRV records for _xmpp-server._tcp.(hostname) and _xmpp-server._tcp.(MUC hostname)? Is your SSL (required) properly configured?
Mad Merlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you trying to federate to Google (Gtalk)? They don't support encryption for XMPP federation at all.

Basically every other XMPP server requires encryption for federation (there was a flag day on this topic a couple years ago), so the situation is rather unfortunate given the sizable count of Google users.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: