Steam, Hardened, and Chroots?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lichen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Steam, Hardened, and Chroots? Reply with quote

I've been using the Hardened profile and a grsec/pax kernel for a bit now and as part of an experiment to better understand how it works I've been trying to install Steam in a chroot on a Hardened box. Seeing as how the directions on https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Steam#Chroot are fairly dated, and my various attempts to install in a amd64 chroot environment (I'm also running amd64 on the "host" box) have not been fruitful I'm not sure how to proceed. The errors it has given me are difficult to diagnose.

Code:

/home/steam/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 154: VERSION_ID: unbound variable
/home/steam/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 99: no match: **:

Other miscellaneous information:

I know how to disable the chroot protections with sysctl and after having disabled them all / used a vanilla kernel to no avail I am somewhat confident this isn't the problem. I've tried removing / regenerating local content. I've tried using paxctl-ng on the binaries with no result. I'm running xorg on the host and have had some trouble getting connection by dbus / xhost unrelated to steam so this could be part of it. I've tried installing via layman and manually adding an overlay.

Any ideas how to proceed?
SleepyMario
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the exact same problem but am on no-multilib instead, so it might have nothing to do with the chosen profile.
rh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relating hardened, maybe this steam issue has some useful info for you:
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues/254

If you thinks chroot is the issue, I'm not familiar enough to be of any assistance. If you don't get it to work and want to try something else, you can run steam as another user quite easily. If you need more isolation, steam does now have an unofficial flatpak available in flathub (https://github.com/flathub/com.valvesoftware.Steam).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: