View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
augustin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:28 am    Post subject: Konqueror support thread Reply with quote

Edit: There aren't many gentoo+konqueror users. This thread is a generic support thread for Konqueror. I'll do my best to document what needs to be so that any konqueror user anywhere can benefit.

I just ugraded konqueror from KDE4 to KDE5.
Since then, I basically cannot use it to do any of my usual work.

Text that I type in texfields does not show until I move the focus away from the text field. That's why I had to type this comment in a text editor and then copy and paste into this forum before submitting. Searching the web, I only found a 1998 (!!!) bug report, and also this 2011 thread which describes the same behaviour but does not offer a solution: https://forums.pcbsd.org/thread-13365.html

Other than that, I lost all my custom settings, all my bookmarks (I had many), all my history, and saved form passwords, etc... Basically, I lost a lot of user data during the upgrade and I
am not sure how to import them back. I copied .kde4/share/config/konquerorrc to .config/konquerorrc but apparently the relevant data isn't there.

Last edited by augustin on Mon May 29, 2017 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total
augustin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am forced to temporarily switch to seamonkey.

Another bug that cropped up during the upgrade is the one described here:

Konqueror does not recognize RETURN
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1000852-highlight-konqueror+bookmark.html
which concludes with "I never found a fix".
augustin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What other browser is available that is tightly integrated within KDE?
That's the question I asked here:

Browser support for KDE activities
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1058376-highlight-konqueror+activities.html

Support for KDE activities is the main reason which prevent me from ditching konqueror altogether. We all know that konqueror has been dying for a long time and has gone from regression to regression. I was hoping that the change in rendering engine in this latest 'upgrade' would improve things...
augustin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, the default browser has also changed. When clicking a link in kmail, it would open in konqueror. Since the upgrade, firefox is fired instead. I searched but I haven't found yet where the default browser is set.
augustin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

augustin wrote:
Apparently, the default browser has also changed. When clicking a link in kmail, it would open in konqueror. Since the upgrade, firefox is fired instead. I searched but I haven't found yet where the default browser is set.

Here:

Quote:
In KDE systemsettings > Personalization > Applications > Default applications > Web browser:

Type in the browser name in the field "in the following browser", e.g. konqueror.
If you want the option "in an application based on the contents of the URL", and still be able to select another default browser, you have to use the second field as described above, save, then select back "in an application based on the contents of the URL" and save again.

Source: Default browser in KDE.
augustin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Various konqueror fails after upgrade Reply with quote

augustin wrote:

Text that I type in texfields does not show until I move the focus away from the text field. That's why I had to type this comment in a text editor and then copy and paste into this forum before submitting. Searching the web, I only found a 1998 (!!!) bug report, and also this 2011 thread which describes the same behaviour but does not offer a solution: https://forums.pcbsd.org/thread-13365.html

I filed the following bug reports:

Quote:
Using:
KDE Frameworks 5.29.0
Qt 5.6.2 (built against 5.6.2)
The xcb windowing system

I just upgraded Konqueror to the latest, using the new rendering engine.
I am forced to temporarily use seamonkey for everything because typing text in any form field does not display the text being typed. The text is however properly submitted when submitting the form. The text typed is also revealed only when the text area or text field looses focus.
The same problem occurs with other HTML widget. For example, selecting a radio button does not show that the radio has been selected until the form is submitted.

The result is that konqueror can only be used for passive browsing. Any use of forms is rendered completely impractical.

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=619504
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=380134

Source: Konqueror does not display any text typed in text fields/areas nor changes in html widgets while focus is on them.
baaann
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to confirm i have seen similar issues using the khtml backend, the text field issue is particularly irksome. In addition this website does not render properly.

Having said that the qtwebengine backend does not have these problems, however i couldn't enable adblock on that backend and it is a monster to compile. Konqueror has remained my default browser though.

I have found the otter browser to be a nice relatively lightweight and reasonably featureful qt browser alternative, though i am not sure it has activities integration

https://otter-browser.org/

http://gpo.zugaina.org/www-client/otter
augustin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baaann wrote:
Just to confirm i have seen similar issues using the khtml backend, the text field issue is particularly irksome. In addition this website does not render properly.

Having said that the qtwebengine backend does not have these problems, however i couldn't enable adblock on that backend and it is a monster to compile. Konqueror has remained my default browser though.

Thanks baaann.

From what you say and given the similar issue linked above, dating to a few years back, the rendering engine is not at fault. But then, what is? Anyone here knows?

This bug makes it absolutely impossible to work with Konqueror. I have based all my work and productivity around konqueror + activities, so now I am facing a major block in my daily work.

baaann wrote:

I have found the otter browser to be a nice relatively lightweight and reasonably featureful qt browser alternative, though i am not sure it has activities integration

https://otter-browser.org/

http://gpo.zugaina.org/www-client/otter

Thanks. As you already saw in the other thread, those don't have activities integration.

But given the fact that very small (one man?) projects like otter and qupzilla can come up with decent browsers, how come a large project like KDE cannot offer its own, fully integrated like Konqueror used to be, and especially with Activities integration, which is a major, unique feature of KDE which they have been touting since their 4.0 release? What's the point in having activities if nothing is integrated with it?
baaann
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

augustin wrote:
baaann wrote:

Thanks baaann.

From what you say and given the similar issue linked above, dating to a few years back, the rendering engine is not at fault. But then, what is? Anyone here knows?

This bug makes it absolutely impossible to work with Konqueror. I have based all my work and productivity around konqueror + activities, so now I am facing a major block in my daily work.

I think it is primarily the rendering engines as the problems of each are different, I have them both installed and you can change usage per page from the view menu. Personally I find Ads irritating and miss the lack of adblock using qtwebengine, therefore khtml is my default.
I have not ventured into the full blown use of Activities(I probably should) so I cannot vouch for Konquerors performance in that sphere via the qtwebengine backend, but it is pobably worth enabling and testing it if your workflow relies on Activities.
As far as the other browsers are concerned maybe it is worth filing a feature request with them?
augustin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baaann wrote:

I think it is primarily the rendering engines as the problems of each are different, I have them both installed and you can change usage per page from the view menu. Personally I find Ads irritating and miss the lack of adblock using qtwebengine, therefore khtml is my default.
I have not ventured into the full blown use of Activities(I probably should) so I cannot vouch for Konquerors performance in that sphere via the qtwebengine backend, but it is pobably worth enabling and testing it if your workflow relies on Activities.
As far as the other browsers are concerned maybe it is worth filing a feature request with them?

Thanks to you, I became aware that, indeed, khtml and qtwebengine are installed in parallel. The main bug (text not appearing while typing) concerns khtml only, but the right-click-on-link menu of qtwebengine is a joke compared to that of khtml (e.g. no: "open link in new tab/window", which I use a lot). As you point out I can switch from one engine to the other, according to the most pressing need. It's far from ideal, but a useful, hopefully temporary workaround.

For your use of ad blockers: I equally hate ads with a passion. My first line of defense against them is /etc/hosts, where I add a line for each ad domain like this:
Code:
127.0.0.1       ads.stickyadstv.com
127.0.0.1       ads.tradefx.com
127.0.0.1       clkdeals.com
127.0.0.1       adbrau.com
127.0.1.1       ad.doubleclick.net
127.0.1.1       googleads.g.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.1       s7.addthis.com
127.0.0.1       ads.trafficjunky.net
127.0.0.1       static.adzerk.net
127.0.0.1       engine2.adzerk.net
127.0.0.1       scorecardresearch.com
127.0.0.1       b.scorecardresearch.com
127.0.0.1       www.googleadservices.com
# etc.

I keep my /etc/hosts from machine to machine, building it up over time, and it works for every browser, even before I install any adblocks. It's very convenient.

I'll post further updates, bug reports and wiki docs on the various issues reported above.

There does not appear to be many gentoo+konqueror users, so I appreciate your feedback, baaann. :) Thanks.

augustin.
augustin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

small updates:

- It appears that the main bug (text not appearing in textfield) is a won't fix by both gentoo and upstream KDE developers.

- I recovered my bookmarks with: ~/.kde4/share/apps/konqueror/ $ cp bookmarks.xml* closeditems_saved faviconrc konq_history ~/.local/share/konqueror/

- The bookmarks are all missing the favicons.

- both webengines (khtml and qtwebengine) use different locations to save cookies. It means that if I am logged in but switch engine, I am no longer logged in.

- same problem with saved passwords.

- Opening a new konqueror instance now always opens a tiny window in the corner of my desktop. It no longer remembers my prefered size. I need to manually resize each instance.
augustin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recovered cookies settings thus:

~/.kde4/ $ cp share/config/kcookiejarrc ~/.config/kcookiejarrc

I am not sure but it appears that the following was not enough to restore saved cookies:
~/.kde4/ $ cp share/apps/kcookiejar/cookies ~/.local/share/kcookiejar/cookies
augustin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had lost all my SSL certificate data during the upgrade:

cp ~/.kde4/share/config/ksslcertificatemanager ~/.config/ksslcertificatemanager
As with all KDE4 => 5 application upgrade, there has been no effort by the packagers to migrate user data, so for each application being upgraded, we lose tons of configuration data.

I am currently tryix\ng to figure out where activity session data are being saved.
augustin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since khtml is no longer supported and slated to be removed from the gentoo tree , I have started to seriously document all the khtml features that may not be ported to qtwebengines, and there are tons of them!

A simple copy/paste does not work with qtwebengine:

Quote:

There is much more to a rendering engine than merely rendering web pages. Different rendering engines have different feature sets, and may or may not be fully integrated with the desktop environment.

KHTML has been the default rendering engine for Konqueror for a long time. However, KHTML is no longer maintained and slated to be completely removed from distributions. Unfortunately, many of its features may not ever be ported to the new rendering engine.

[...]

Copy / paste

khtml: highlight with the mouse to copy, click on middle mouse button to paste.
qtwebengine: the above does not work.

Source: Konqueror rendering engines.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Desktop Environments as it fits better here.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: