VM Gentoo in VirtualBox with W10Pro as Host
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wiidx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: VM Gentoo in VirtualBox with W10Pro as Host Reply with quote

Hello guys, I just got new machine and have a few questions about the setup that is in subject.

Specs:
MB: Asus Strix X99 Gaming
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820k with cooler Artic Cooling Freezer i32
RAM: 4x4GB Kingston HyperX Savage Black 2666MHz CL13 (Running at 2400MHz CL13 13-14-14-35)
Graphics: Asus Strix GTX1070 8G Gaming
Disk1: Samsung EVO 960 250GB M.2
Disk2: Samsung EVO 850 500GB (connected via sata from delock controller)
Disk3: WD Blue 1TB

I was using Gentoo via dual boot (gentoo/w7) until my old machine fired up. And since this MB is Secure Boot based im not sure how to solve this.

1. Is it even worth trying this setup?
I was thinking to not have to disable Secure Boot i could use VM for Gentoo. But im not really sure if that is a good idea. It will allow me to save snapshots and rewind back if something messes up.
What I have in mind is something like this: Disk1 for the W10Pro, Disk2 for VM Gentoo and Disk3 for snapshots and rest data.
While VM Gentoo can have 8/16gb of ram and 8/12 threads from cpu and more ram in the future since I'm planning to upgrade to 32GB.

2. If it's worth is there any good guide for setuping Gentoo as guest in VirtualBox or is it enough to follow basic handbook?
I haven't tried Gentoo in VM yet only as a single system or dual boot and only on classic spinning disk. So the question is do I need to setup kernel differently or may i use genkernel for this? If i need to setup is specificaly is there guide for VirtualBox? Also I have found that SSD gets used really fast if not setuped right, do I have to bother with this since it will be virtual disk on NTFS filesystem? (That's what u get for using SSD for the first time.)

3. Migrate to another Secure Boot supported distro until Gentoo will support it too?
I'm not really sure I want to do that since i love Portage.

4. Any other ideas?
C5ace
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Virtual Box as VM on a number of Gentoo and Win7 hosts running Gentoo Xfce, DOS 6.2. Win98, win 2000, WinXP and Win7 clients. They are used to emulate a LAN, compile and test 16 and 32 bit legacy software and legacy accounting software. I also run a DNS, Mail, Web and FTP server hosted on a Gentoo laptop.

To install Gentoo, just follow the handbook with a DOS MBR.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: