CUPS - alternatives
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A.S. Pushkin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: CUPS - alternatives Reply with quote

I'm fed up with CUPS. Several years ago it worked fine, but now it is taking more time to fix than if I hand wrote
my docs. I have to fix it to run every time I come back to print documents.
Is there any alternative to CUPS?

If Apple now runs CUPS is this intentional?

TIA

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act." -- George Orwell
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How often do you print documents?

Yeah CUPS is a conglomerate mess but fortunately for me, it's worked fine. Just that network printing sometimes breaks when they change security defaults in the config file format, I had to rewrite for that.

I suppose the old straight lpd should still be available in net-print/lprng. But curious as to your setup that keeps breaking?

My system is cups server for all computers, with postscript translation -> jetdirect -> parallel HP laser printer. Ancient...
A.S. Pushkin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject: CUPS - alternatives Reply with quote

Thanks for posting your remarks eccerr0r.

Currently, my printer is just a Brother DCP-7020 all-in-one. I use to use a Kyocera-Mita laser printer that worked fine, except the manufacturer had serious problems
with the power supplies. (I was told they had no problems, but replacing a bad power supply with a rebuilt one says other things!)

My wife has her own PC, an HP, while I build my own, the current being Gentoo on an i7. Right now we are not on a network, just a simple plug in though I hope to eventually setup our Netgear router as a print server.

We don't print a lot as right now. I'm not certain when this problem began, but in the last year or so I think.

I wish we had a HP, I worked with a lot of HP when I was a CAD designer(Oh, those were the days, but I lost that job!)

I use to think the problem might stem from the rolling nature of Gentoo, but I'm not certain.

I'll continue to search for a solution and will post if I have one that makes sense.

Thanks

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act." -- George Orwell
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say just etc-update and start over from scratch and reconfigure your cupsd.conf. Save your old ones of course.

If you didn't etc-update, perhaps that's something to start with.

I'd say HP isn't something that's guaranteed to work. I just have an older HP printer that has been supported by Linux for a long time. I can't say the same luck for hplip printers - I was thinking about setting up the same for someone else but that machine is on dynamic IP and does not notify the DHCP server its name so it won't ever work (perhaps if I setup bonjour or whatever that crap is...)
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only issue with cups is that sometimes the print jobs can not be deleted. so resetting the printer is kinda "borked". was since day one. This effect is also on windows with hp printers for example. so its printer related, i blame the printer architecture!

i use the pld file from kyocera and cups works since i have that printer since 27-03-2008. Over several notebooks, kernel, and cups versions. Same pld.

I have several "virtual printers" for only one physical printer.
these days there is no need for a pdf printer anymore. cups can now print ot a file, as it seems...
--

you may set up cups from scratch!

Quote:
Brother

I would never ever buy personally any Brother or HP printers. For various reasons.

kyocera is very expensive, I had my reason why i bought 300 euro business black white printer in 2008. and not a 40 euro black white printer without any logic! And not an inkjet. I never owned an injet at home. I had to deal with inkjet at a job, Hp inkjet printer. those are rubbish, badly designed hardware.
A.S. Pushkin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roman_Gruber thanks for the remark on Kyocera. I actually liked mine, but the power supply died twice so I've not repaired it. Perhaps I'll
have to do this repair myself.

Do you know of any Kyocera printers that also do graphics? In my old days as a CAD operator we had a very nice HP that could scale CAD drawings for check prints.
In the States we could use Legal size prints. It was quick and cheaper than plotting.

Thanks for all the comments.

I'll look further.

A.S. Pushkin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Printer stopped working [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Well, I still have problems with logging into CUPS, but I seem to have solved my printing issues and
thanks to the Gentoo forums.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-579156-start-0-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-.html

The simple change that Ishiki posted corrected the issue.

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: