Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How do I install a recent version of Python?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monq
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: How do I install a recent version of Python? Reply with quote

I understand big parts of the base system depend on Python, and that's why we're stuck with an ancient version. But is it possible to install a recent version of Python without updating the whole system? I thought of downloading and compiling it by hand from python.org, but I was wondering if there was something that I could trust in an overlay or somewhere else...
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Python version are slotted you can have different version on system
Code:
[I] dev-lang/python
     Available versions: 
     (2.7)  2.7.12 ~2.7.13
     (3.4)  3.4.5(3.4/3.4m) ~3.4.6(3.4/3.4m)
     (3.5)  ~3.5.3(3.5/3.5m)
     (3.6)  ~3.6.1-r1(3.6/3.6m)
       {-berkdb build doc examples gdbm hardened ipv6 libressl +ncurses +readline sqlite +ssl +threads tk +wide-unicode wininst +xml ELIBC="uclibc"}
     Installed versions:  2.7.12(2.7)(06:22:07 PM 12/06/2016)(gdbm ipv6 ncurses readline sqlite ssl threads wide-unicode xml -berkdb -build -doc -examples -hardened -libressl -tk -wininst ELIBC="-uclibc") 3.4.5(3.4)(06:23:45 PM 12/06/2016)(gdbm ipv6 ncurses readline ssl threads xml -build -examples -hardened -libressl -sqlite -tk -wininst ELIBC="-uclibc")
     Homepage:            https://www.python.org/
     Description:         An interpreted, interactive, object-oriented programming language

You can have at same time 2.7, 3.4, 3.5 and 3.6
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I install a recent version of Python? Reply with quote

Monq wrote:
I understand big parts of the base system depend on Python, and that's why we're stuck with an ancient version.

Monq ... that's not the case, the reason for 2.7 is that there are still packages that only work with 2.7, for "base" packages (and I assume you mean portage) you can build with any of PYTHON_TARGETS="pypy python2_7 python3_4 python3_5 python3_6".

Monq wrote:
But is it possible to install a recent version of Python without updating the whole system? I thought of downloading and compiling it by hand from python.org, but I was wondering if there was something that I could trust in an overlay or somewhere else...

Python is slotted, so you can install whatever version available, eg 'emerge dev-lang/python:3.6'. However, you would then need to adjust PYTHON_TARGETS to reflect this fact, and run app-admin/python-updater so that any package with PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_6" install their components for that version.

best ... khay
Monq
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your tips, I'll try this.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: