Kudos to Gentoo Dev Team on GCC5 upgrade
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
radio_flyer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Kudos to Gentoo Dev Team on GCC5 upgrade Reply with quote

I've been running stable Gentoo on my main workstation since 2004. Every two years or so I upgrade the hardware, clone the disk and 'emerge -e @world' to finish the port. I currently have 2443 packages on my system and usually end up with numerous broken packages when I do this. I expected similar issues with this ABI change when I decided to re-emerge everything after doing the libstdc++ rebuild. Surprisingly, only a dozen packages broke, and most of those recompiled just fine when I re-emerged them (mostly circular doc dependencies). Only media-libs/libspf2 and media-libs/fgtl remain broken, and there are confirmed bug reports open for those. Even that nightmare media-gfx/blender package recompiled without issue.

My kudos to the Gentoo dev team for the cleanest @world rebuild I've ever had on this system. The only downside is that even the old cruft re-compiled, so there was no opportunity to do the usual --unmerge cleanups :D
ago
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to be a Gentoo user and to believe in our work :wink:
shrike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Kudos to Gentoo Dev Team on GCC5 upgrade Reply with quote

Quote:

My kudos to the Gentoo dev team for the cleanest @world rebuild I've ever had on this system

I second that!

And I would add that portage (@world updates) have smoothed out quite a bit in recent times. It quite amazes me that it all comes together at all what with bundled libs, use flags, slots, stable/unstable, different arches, and on and on. :)

Thanks!!

shrike
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't actually go through that, but I did upgrade to GCC6 a couple months ago, and it was pretty smooth, I was actually pleasantly surprised. Gentoo has evolved a lot since the first time I used ti back in 2006 or something.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: