Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Dantrell's GNOME Without Systemd Project (Part 1)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 27, 28, 29  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leio
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes it can cause real issues too. But you'd probably feel it and it's fine here. e.g evolution-data-server has been particularly plagued by that over the times (but uses cmake in 3.24 now, and many other things are looking into using meson in 3.26).
simonvanderveldt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
simonvanderveldt wrote:
Should I create a bug in the Gentoo bugtracker to add abi_x86_32 to gnome-base/gnome-keyring?

You probably should since that issue is unrelated to the project. In the meanwhile, I added a couple of ebuilds that might resolve matters. To test, try:

/etc/portage/package.keywords/gnome-keyring:
=app-crypt/gcr-3.20.0-r1 **
=gnome-base/gnome-keyring-3.20.0-r1 **

Sorry, totally missed this message :x
Anyway, just tried to emerge this and I ran into the following issue when emerging app-crypt/gcr-3.20.0-r1::dantrell-gnome https://bpaste.net/show/d1129c6578b6
Shibotto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, how are things going with GNOME 3.24?
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonvanderveldt wrote:
Anyway, just tried to emerge this and I ran into the following issue when emerging app-crypt/gcr-3.20.0-r1::dantrell-gnome https://bpaste.net/show/d1129c6578b6

Going to have to do some more research as abi_x86_32 support in ebuilds isn't something I'm familiar with.

Shibotto wrote:
Hi, how are things going with GNOME 3.24?

I actually prepped it then got distracted. :lol:

Should be able to resume work sometime in the next two weeks. Also, this time around I'm going to test integration with elogind first instead of the usual suspects, although, the GNOME team might beat me to it. :wink:
Shibotto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
I actually prepped it then got distracted. :lol:

Should be able to resume work sometime in the next two weeks.

No problem at all. Actually I'm perfectly fine with GNOME 3.20 which I'm still using right now, it was just curiosity. :D

dantrell wrote:
Also, this time around I'm going to test integration with elogind first instead of the usual suspects, although, the GNOME team might beat me to it. :wink:

My curiosity just became a pressing need. :D
Recently I needed a quick (to install and maintain) distro for my old Dell Mini 9 and I chose Void Linux, which happens to use elogind. Skipping on the quality of Void, it seems that GNOME 3.24 works really well with elogind, so I'm looking forward to have this in Gentoo!
simonvanderveldt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ran into an issue when upgrading inkscape to 0.91-r3. A new USE flag "deprecated" was added. If I don't enable that USE flag the build fails for me with multiple of the following errors
Code:
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/5.4.0/include/g++-v5/bits/vector.tcc:343:16: error: ambiguous overload for ‘operator=’ (operand types are ‘Glib::ustring’ and ‘Glib::ustring’)
    *__position = __x_copy;
                ^
In file included from /usr/include/gtkmm-2.4/gtkmm/box.h:7:0,
                 from ui/widget/panel.h:24,
                 from main.cpp:33:

Enabling the deprecated USE flag fixes this for me. Might be of use to others to know this as well :)
I'm not 100% sure why this is happening though, seems to be related to c++11 support again?
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonvanderveldt wrote:
I'm not 100% sure why this is happening though, seems to be related to c++11 support again?

Since you like technical explanations... Inkscape 0.91 and greater in Gentoo requires GLibmm 2.48 (or greater) and Libsigc++ 2.8 (or greater) which basically means GNOME 3.20 or greater. Since I'm 99% sure you are on GNOME 3.20, the deprecated USE flag (which is the rewritten version of my work allowing Inkscape to build on older versions of GNOME) is not needed here. Furthermore, your profile selection will determine if it should be enabled or not.

What happened is that I made a mistake during the process of mirroring my changes from 0.92.1 and forgot to double check the older version which appended C++11 unconditionally.

Sync up and you should be good to go.

Shibotto wrote:

I was wrong about which week I had free (it turned out to be this one) so I only started integrating GNOME 3.24 yesterday. Whoops. :lol:

I finished the bulk of the restructuring and will be doing QA checks before testing the new patchset (or implementing the old one) and then some more QA checks.
Shibotto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
Shibotto wrote:

I was wrong about which week I had free (it turned out to be this one) so I only started integrating GNOME 3.24 yesterday. Whoops. :lol:

I finished the bulk of the restructuring and will be doing QA checks before testing the new patchset (or implementing the old one) and then some more QA checks.

Worry not, I'm joking ;)
Take all the time you need, you already provided a superb service for many people. If you need help bug spotting, I recently added 2GB of RAM (for a total of 4 lol) to my old desktop PC, which right now is running GNOME 3.22. It has a circa 2006 Athlon 64 though and it takes almost 24h to build a GNOME environment from scratch.
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shibotto wrote:
Worry not, I'm joking ;)

Turns out I didn't need that much time. :)

I finished the elogind-based patchset and so far, startx works while GDM works but successful logins don't transition users to the desktop. I haven't checked Wayland or power management functionality yet but I know both of those features work with elogind in general.

GNOME 3.24.2 will be available for public testing after I correct whatever I overlooked regarding GDM.
Shibotto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that pam_systemd.so must be replaced with pam_elogind.so in /etc/pam.d/, but if you say login is successful maybe I'm wasting your time.
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shibotto wrote:
I know that pam_systemd.so must be replaced with pam_elogind.so in /etc/pam.d/, but if you say login is successful maybe I'm wasting your time.

I actually already had that replacement but PAM still needed a bit more work. Successful logins now transition users to the desktop. :)

I can also confirm that power management functionality works but I still haven't tested Wayland (I'll leave this as an exercise for others :lol:).

That said, as typical, integrating elogind was the easy part (i.e. writing). Been doing much more work in QA (i.e. editing) and am just now finishing up. I'm going to say the GNOME 3.24 overlay will be added within 24 hours.

Edit: GNOME 3.24.2 is now available for testing. Don't forget to add and start the elogind service if using a GUI-based login:

Code:
rc-update add elogind default

Enjoy. :)

P.S. Wayland should work but I probably need to tweak the profiles a bit.
Shibotto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
GNOME 3.24.2 is now available for testing. Don't forget to add and start the elogind service if using a GUI-based login:

Code:
rc-update add elogind default

Enjoy. :)

Thank you very much! I'm building this tonight :)
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shibotto wrote:
I'm building this tonight :)

Wayland is now testable by installing with:

Code:
USE="egl libinput wayland" emerge --ask --update --deep --changed-use --with-bdeps=y gnome

or updating with:

Code:
USE="egl libinput wayland" emerge --ask --update --deep --changed-use --with-bdeps=y @world

and then restarting GDM (rebooting works too).
Shibotto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, reporting in. I added 3-24 overlay (not yet removed 3-22) and I switched to profile 3.24/extended, but I'm encountering a series of problem. One in particular is that
Code:
targets/gnome/3.24/package.unmask
unmasks
Code:
~x11-libs/gtk+-3.22.15::dantrell-gnome
and many other in the same file are still on 3.22. Is that intended or is it a bug?

Anyway right now I have a hybrid GNOME 3.24/3.22, I'm not even gonna try to launch it until I manage to compile it all (right now I have several packages not building and a couple of preserved libs to deal with).
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shibotto wrote:
Ok, reporting in. I added 3-24 overlay (not yet removed 3-22) and I switched to profile 3.24/extended, but I'm encountering a series of problem.

I just spun up a GNOME 3.22 test install then performed:

Code:
eselect profile set dantrell-gnome:default/amd64/3.24
emerge --ask --update --deep --changed-use --with-bdeps=y @world

and I get clean emerge output. What was your experience?

Shibotto wrote:
Is that intended or is it a bug?

Any GNOME release version marked as mainline or next gets an automatically generated package.unmask file that counters any possible profile (not user) masking. Unless there's a version mismatch, this affects nothing.

That said, GNOME 3.24 still uses at least 33 packages from 3.22 so that's not a mistake.

P.S. Let me know which packages failed to build and the causes of the build failures if you figured them out.
Shibotto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-- premise ---
Before you ask (and I forgot to mention it before) I upgrade with
Code:

emerge --ask --verbose --update --changed-use --deep --with-bdeps=y --keep-going --quiet-build @world

--- end premise ---

dantrell wrote:
P.S. Let me know which packages failed to build and the causes of the build failures if you figured them out.

The first one I noticed was that I need to unmask
Code:
=net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.16.2 **

which is strange enough, since it is in the profile unmasks. If this somehow disappears when I finish building, I'll let you know.

The second one when building gnome-shell-extensions-3.24: a conflict for a file named calendar-*something*.svg claimed by gnome-shell-3.22. That was trivial to solve, I mentioned it just for the record.

The third was that nautilus needs now at lease gnome-autoar 2.1, but is missing in 3.24 profile, so I unmasked
Code:
=app-arch/gnome-autoar-0.2.2 **

and then it compiled fine.

Something else failed to build at some point, namely epiphany, gnome-disk-utility and gnome-tweak-tool (I think they are all of them), in a couple of minute I'll report what's wrong with them.

EDIT: gnome-disk-utility and gnome-tweak-tool compiled fine now, no idea why. Epiphany, similarly to nautilus situation, seems to need at least json-glib 1.2.0, so
Code:
=dev-libs/json-glib-1.2.8 **
Shibotto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With everything mentioned above solved, I tried to make this work. GNOME seems to work fine with startx, but I can't manage to make GDM work. I'm not testing Wayland yet, as with Nvidia card I'm not even sure if it is supposed to work. What happens right now is basically that gdm-session-worker and gdm-x-session keep dying endlessly as soon as I start xdm service.

Not having the slightest idea where to look, I searched in /var/log/gdm:
Code:
root /v/l/gdm > ll
totale 756K
-rw-r--r-- 1 root gdm  5,5K 21 mag 02.00 :0-greeter.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 root gdm  5,0K 20 mag 20.21 :0-greeter.log.1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root gdm  5,0K 20 mag 10.10 :0-greeter.log.2
-rw-r--r-- 1 root gdm  5,2K 19 mag 13.49 :0-greeter.log.3
-rw-r--r-- 1 root gdm  5,0K 19 mag 07.24 :0-greeter.log.4
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  13K 21 mag 02.00 :0.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  17K 21 mag 01.59 :0.log.1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  33K 20 mag 17.34 :0.log.2
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  23K 20 mag 00.07 :0.log.3
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  14K 19 mag 07.45 :0.log.4
-rw-r--r-- 1 root gdm  120K 21 mag 16.46 '(null)-greeter.log'
-rw-r--r-- 1 root gdm  120K 21 mag 16.46 '(null)-greeter.log.1'
-rw-r--r-- 1 root gdm  120K 21 mag 16.46 '(null)-greeter.log.2'
-rw-r--r-- 1 root gdm  120K 21 mag 16.46 '(null)-greeter.log.3'
-rw-r--r-- 1 root gdm  120K 21 mag 16.46 '(null)-greeter.log.4'

As you can see by the dates, the ones starting with (null) are the ones created by the new GDM. I'll link you the first one (they are all the same anyway) https://pastebin.com/8AwEYuHb

If you need to know anything else let me know.

EDIT: I enabled debug in /etc/gdm/custom.conf, but the only things I see in /var/log/messages are quite useless:
Code:
May 21 17:06:33 Inspiron-531 kernel: [ 1872.371667] nvidia-modeset: Allocated GPU:0 (GPU-dc244420-5f9f-80b2-9422-136ae574b0a5) @ PCI:0000:02:00.0
May 21 17:06:33 Inspiron-531 kernel: [ 1873.099671] nvidia-modeset: Freed GPU:0 (GPU-dc244420-5f9f-80b2-9422-136ae574b0a5) @ PCI:0000:02:00.0
May 21 17:06:33 Inspiron-531 gdm: Child process -7974 was already dead.
May 21 17:06:33 Inspiron-531 gdm: Child process 7969 was already dead.

And so on forever, since it keeps dying and respawning.
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shibotto wrote:
The first one I noticed was that I need to unmask
Code:
=net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.16.2 **

which is strange enough, since it is in the profile unmasks. If this somehow disappears when I finish building, I'll let you know.

Packages need to be unmasked in general but also unmasked for the architecture.

I can simplify things by stabilizing these packages but I want them in ~ since they will be unmasked for older GNOME releases accordingly as well.

Shibotto wrote:
The second one when building gnome-shell-extensions-3.24: a conflict for a file named calendar-*something*.svg claimed by gnome-shell-3.22. That was trivial to solve, I mentioned it just for the record.

I know the cause and have a fix in mind but I'm going to sit on it for a bit.

Shibotto wrote:
GNOME seems to work fine with startx, but I can't manage to make GDM work.

This is probably due to sys-apps/accountsservice (along with sys-power/upower) not being properly unmasked.

Shibotto wrote:
If you need to know anything else let me know.

Thanks for the feedback, all the issues you mentioned should be resolved with gnome-extra/gnome-shell-extensions pending. Sync up and you should be good to go.

If anything else crops up, let me know. :)

P.S. Just in case, GDM requires the following services at minimal:

Code:
eselect rc restart dbus
eselect rc restart elogind
eselect rc restart xdm

Edit: On second thought, I seem to have broken startx. 8O

Edit 2: And now it's unbroken. 8O

Turns out, after the corrections, the elogind service is required even for startx but I'm not sure any of this is related to your issue.
Shibotto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no luck with GDM. I have elogind and dbus enabled for default runlevel. I think there is more details in my syslog (which I rotated just before starting xdm manually), so I'm uploading it as well https://pastebin.com/9qiMLuxJ

Here are the steps I took since my last post:
    · Upgrade AccountsService and upower after you unmasked them, then reboot → no luck
    · Notice something still loads ConsoleKit even though I already deleted it from default runlevel, so I rage clean (as in full of rage, not as in --rage-clean) ConsoleKit and reboot → no luck
    · Notice in syslog that AccountsService still looks for ConsoleKit
    Code:
    May 21 20:14:07 Inspiron-531 gdm-launch-environment]: AccountsService: Failed to identify the current session: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit was not provided by any .service files

so I re-emerge AccountsService and reboot, could be worth it → not worth it, same thing in syslog

Still working with startx, though.
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to update, the emerge was fine aside from the svg file issue, but then I couldn't get gdm / startx to work at all.

gdm apparently starts and crashes instantly forever:

Code:
May 21 14:53:39 saboya-desktop gdm[2442]: Unable to kill session worker process
May 21 14:53:39 saboya-desktop gdm[2442]: Child process -6760 was already dead.
May 21 14:53:39 saboya-desktop gdm[2442]: Child process 6756 was already dead.
May 21 14:53:39 saboya-desktop gdm[2442]: Child process -6769 was already dead.
May 21 14:53:39 saboya-desktop gdm[2442]: Child process 6765 was already dead.
May 21 14:53:39 saboya-desktop gdm[2442]: Child process -6778 was already dead.
May 21 14:53:39 saboya-desktop gdm[2442]: Child process 6774 was already dead.
May 21 14:53:39 saboya-desktop gdm[2442]: Child process -6787 was already dead.
May 21 14:53:39 saboya-desktop gdm[2442]: Child process 6783 was already dead.
May 21 14:53:39 saboya-desktop gdm[2442]: Child process -6796 was already dead.
May 21 14:53:39 saboya-desktop gdm[2442]: Child process 6792 was already dead.
May 21 14:53:39 saboya-desktop gdm[2442]: Child process -6805 was already dead.
May 21 14:53:39 saboya-desktop gdm[2442]: Child process 6801 was already dead.
May 21 14:53:39 saboya-desktop gdm[2442]: Child process -6814 was already dead.
May 21 14:53:39 saboya-desktop gdm[2442]: Child process 6810 was already dead.
May 21 14:53:39 saboya-desktop gdm[2442]: Child process -6823 was already dead.
May 21 14:53:39 saboya-desktop gdm[2442]: Child process 6819 was already dead.
May 21 14:53:39 saboya-desktop gdm[2442]: Child process -6832 was already dead.
May 21 14:53:39 saboya-desktop gdm[2442]: Child process 6828 was already dead.
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shibotto wrote:
Still no luck with GDM.

I'm reviewing everything to see if I forgot to add something but nothing stands out.

It would have helped to see your clean emerge output before you began upgrading because that's something I can readily compare.

I could have sworn I had the same, if not a similar, issue a few days ago and that it went away when I started the elogind service. What happened is that after starting the xdm service, GDM would almost start but then glitch out and restart. This was graphical though and you seem to be describing something text based?

saboya wrote:
I tried to update, the emerge was fine aside from the svg file issue, but then I couldn't get gdm / startx to work at all.

Okay, you both have the same issue so something is obviously missing.
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case, it is graphical. It keeps flashing between the dark grey and console VT7 output.

elogind / dbus / acpid services were started and running.

GDM eventually gives up after a while because of too many file handles I assume:

Code:
May 21 14:53:41 saboya-desktop gdm[2442]: Could not start command '/usr/libexec/gdm-session-worker': Too many open files.

Also, I'm using Nvidia proprietary driver. If I add "nvidia-drm.modeset=1" to kernel options, I have this extra message on the logs:

Code:

May 21 14:59:36 saboya-desktop gdm[2680]: Unable to kill session worker process
May 21 14:59:37 saboya-desktop kernel: nvidia-modeset: Allocated GPU:0 (GPU-9c4e91ee-4d9b-036e-3eba-4301d8b45872) @ PCI:0000:01:00.0
May 21 14:59:37 saboya-desktop kernel: nvidia-modeset: Freed GPU:0 (GPU-9c4e91ee-4d9b-036e-3eba-4301d8b45872) @ PCI:0000:01:00.0
May 21 14:59:37 saboya-desktop gdm[2680]: GLib: g_variant_new_string: assertion 'string != NULL' failed
May 21 14:59:37 saboya-desktop gdm[2680]: Child process -2746 was already dead.
May 21 14:59:37 saboya-desktop gdm[2680]: Child process 2743 was already dead.
May 21 14:59:37 saboya-desktop gdm[2680]: Unable to kill session worker process
May 21 14:59:38 saboya-desktop kernel: nvidia-modeset: Allocated GPU:0 (GPU-9c4e91ee-4d9b-036e-3eba-4301d8b45872) @ PCI:0000:01:00.0
May 21 14:59:38 saboya-desktop kernel: nvidia-modeset: Freed GPU:0 (GPU-9c4e91ee-4d9b-036e-3eba-4301d8b45872) @ PCI:0000:01:00.0
May 21 14:59:38 saboya-desktop gdm[2680]: Child process -2758 was already dead.
May 21 14:59:38 saboya-desktop gdm[2680]: Child process 2755 was already dead.
May 21 14:59:38 saboya-desktop gdm[2680]: Unable to kill session worker process
May 21 14:59:39 saboya-desktop kernel: nvidia-modeset: Allocated GPU:0 (GPU-9c4e91ee-4d9b-036e-3eba-4301d8b45872) @ PCI:0000:01:00.0
May 21 14:59:40 saboya-desktop kernel: nvidia-modeset: Freed GPU:0 (GPU-9c4e91ee-4d9b-036e-3eba-4301d8b45872) @ PCI:0000:01:00.0
May 21 14:59:40 saboya-desktop gdm[2680]: GLib: g_variant_new_string: assertion 'string != NULL' failed
May 21 14:59:40 saboya-desktop gdm[2680]: Child process -2771 was already dead.
May 21 14:59:40 saboya-desktop gdm[2680]: Child process 2767 was already dead.
May 21 14:59:40 saboya-desktop gdm[2680]: Unable to kill session worker process
Shibotto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
It would have helped to see your clean emerge output before you began upgrading because that's something I can readily compare.

The only thing I have from before starting anything is this http://i.imgur.com/AnUwvR1.jpg , but I don't think it will be very helpful.

dantrell wrote:
This was graphical though and you seem to be describing something text based?

saboya wrote:
In my case, it is graphical. It keeps flashing between the dark grey and console VT7 output.

I believe is the same thing, I'll explain myself: I don't think it has the time to "flash" on my PC as gdm-session-worker and gdm-x-session die and respawn way too fast. Anyway I can't ctrl+alt+f1 because of that and maybe this is what you are referring to as flashing (although I can't see it with my eyes). I control this with another computer through SSH and I notice those two component keep crashing with a simple ps.
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shibotto wrote:
saboya wrote:

I believe is the same thing [...]

After some digging, I found one issue. Sync up and rebuild gnome-base/gnome-session.

Edit: Make that two. Resync and rebuild.

Edit 2: That's three but I haven't synced my changes. From what I see it's broke again (somewhere between changes 1 and 2). 8O

Edit 3: I'm going to sleep on it.
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, neither r1 or r2 helped. If it changes anything, I'm using amd64 3.24 extended profile, -wayland.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 9 of 29

Jump to: