View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject: oldfart club Reply with quote

we need one for all the decade+ gentooians
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes you think you're not already in one? ;-)

I love that sig, btw.
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dune, by frank herbert

its beyond a work of art a masterpiece, it created a generation a future

its wisdom it contains is incredible on religion government power sex self god
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dune \o/

Been using Gentoo since 2004.
proteusx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those who run the American deep state probably read Dune in their youth
and conceived the idea to create the jihadist mercenary armies to rule the world.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdunn,

Gentoo has an Old Timers club.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
AJM
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
djdunn,
Gentoo has an Old Timers club.

Ah, but that's just for people physically past their sell-by date :) I bet there are quite a few decade+ Gentoo users who weren't alive for any of those events, I'm certainly one of them.

I really can't remember exactly when I first started using Gentoo - it must have been some time in 2002 I think. I've used lots of other distros and Operating Systems over that time in other contexts but certainly never for a moment considered switching my main PC from Gentoo.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, oh yeah I know it's Dune (and I've read at least 5 of that series, many years ago..)

I just love that particular quote, wrt coding, and I'm glad to finally express that to you, djdunn, as it has really helped me in the past to read it here.

You cannot grok coding if you never do it, and when you're in "flow", you feel joined to the process, part of it.
Mind, the flipside of flow is burnout.

Sometimes the human socio-political side can make you forget how much fun the actual work is.
That's when these kind of "banners" help, as does touching base with others who've got past the ego stage of programming.
arnvidr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realised I was an old fart when an old fart like SteveL said he'd read my posts when he first came here ;)
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arnvidr wrote:
I realised I was an old fart when an old fart like SteveL said he'd read my posts when he first came here ;)
LOL.
You're still making sense all these years later, arnvidr ;-)
gordonb3
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe. Had to look that up. Found an old manual I created early 2011 for upgrading 2006.0 and 2006.1 installations - my first live server installations. Fun reading, left on the system as a reminder not ever to let a system run back on updates for such long periods again. Indicates I must have started with Gentoo somewhere early to mid 2005.

Now where did I leave my cane? :lol:
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't remember when I first used this... kernel 2.6.9-ish. I know I didn't bother making a forum account for years.
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha...using Gentoo for about 12 year...in one case, on the same machine no less. I just realized I still have the tarballs in /!!:
Code:
ls -al /*.bz2
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 19805971 Aug  2  2005 /portage-20050801.tar.bz2
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 16795318 Aug  2  2005 /stage1-x86-2005.0.tar.bz2
Not totally sure what that makes me :D.

Tom
berferd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh I like this game
Code:
-rw-rw-r-- 1 portage portage      11K May 27  2002 scrollkeeper-omf.dtd
-rw-rw-r-- 1 portage portage     2.1M Apr 26  2002 saxpath-1.0.tar.gz
-rw-rw-r-- 1 portage portage      73K Dec  3  2001 relaxngDatatype-1.0.zip
-rw-rw-r-- 1 portage portage     101K Jul 14  2001 Text-Unidecode-0.04.tar.gz
-rw-rw-r-- 1 portage portage      11K Jan  4  2001 lsb-release-1.4.tar.gz
-rw-rw-r-- 1 portage portage     187K Sep  7  1999 java_cup_v10k.tar.gz
-rw-rw-r-- 1 portage portage     404K Dec 31  1969 sound-theme-freedesktop-0.7.tar.bz2

None of the original hardware survives, and I obviously had clock issues at some point. Early 2000s matches my recollection, but I'm not sure about the 1999 date.

This machine is running Funtoo now. It's one of the reasons I love Gentoo. On the other hand, the reason I never clean-installed is because those are such a pain.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

berferd,

Code:
whois gentoo.org
Creation Date: 1999-10-04T16:08:45Z

Entries before that time will be disqualified :)

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Jake
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely ran Gentoo before joining the forums. I think my first install was 1.2 circa 2002. Before Gentoo, I ran Slackware.

As for the Old Timers link NeddySeagoon posted, that's my parents' generation.
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

berferd wrote:
Ooh I like this game
Beware that those dates are only approximate. At least under modern wget, and presumably this has been the case for a long time, those timestamps will match the upstream timestamp, not the time you downloaded the file. On a system where I downloaded current nss-3.30.1 today for an update, the mtime shows as 2017-04-05 because that is the time that the server records for most recent modification of the file. Listing old distfiles can give you a sense of when you started, on the assumption that you would not have intentionally installed an out-of-date package when you first began, but it may, depending on the package, provide a slightly or even severely skewed view. You could also look at the ctime, which is probably accurate since Portage has no reason to manipulate the inode after a successful download.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I never rotate /var/log/emerge.log

Code:
$ sudo head -1 /var/log/emerge.log
Password:
1368364683: Started emerge on: May 12, 2013 13:18:03
is a fair estimate of the start date of this install.
There are two older installs on thin hardware too.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Jake
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Since I never rotate /var/log/emerge.log

Code:
$ sudo head -1 /var/log/emerge.log
Password:
1368364683: Started emerge on: May 12, 2013 13:18:03
is a fair estimate of the start date of this install.
There are two older installs on thin hardware too.

Code:
# head -1 /var/log/emerge.log
1367598062: Started emerge on: May 03, 2013 16:21:01
#

Something happened in 2013 where I wasn't able to upgrade. Maybe I had gone too long without updating. Fortunately, I could reinstall in a chroot while running my current install, reboot once, and the world was a better place.
roki942
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still chuckle when I think of the 2004 April Fools "geNToo".

I was working at the Office Depot in Redmond and had the web page up on the first display computer you saw on entering the department.

Was great fun watching the M$ weenies do an instance about face while pulling out their cell phones :lol:
berferd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
....You could also look at the ctime, which is probably accurate since Portage has no reason to manipulate the inode after a successful download.

Ctime gives me the last time I bought a new hard drive, which was September of last year...

How about this, I remember burning and giving away copies of the Unreal Tournament 2003 live CD. Wikipedia sez that CD image was made in late 2002.
PseudoKrazy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another long time user checking in. I get the feeling that most Gentoo users today are left-over from when it was insanely popular in the early 00's. I've tried other linuxes over the years, but none made as much sense to me as Gentoo.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PseudoKrazy wrote:
Another long time user checking in. I get the feeling that most Gentoo users today are left-over from when it was insanely popular in the early 00's. I've tried other linuxes over the years, but none made as much sense to me as Gentoo.
Pretty much ... if you grok what Gentoo is all about, if you go to another distro, a binary distro, its all well and good UNTIL something gets in your way and then it becomes the most frustrating thing in the world.
A week does not go by that I do not regret installing Ubuntu on a simulation machine I babysit... At the time the theory was "I don't have time to work through the occasional Gentoo blockage, I can't take cpu time away from the Emag designers". In practice, once a Gentoo system is up, it doesn't take much to keep on top of it. I am dreading forcing a major distro release sometime this week because every single time there was a new release, something about systemD gets in the way and I spend hours googling wtf something means and how to appease it RATHER than a sane dependency tree and update...
tihkal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
PseudoKrazy wrote:
Pretty much ... if you grok what Gentoo is all about, if you go to another distro, a binary distro, its all well and good UNTIL something gets in your way and then it becomes the most frustrating thing in the world.
A week does not go by that I do not regret installing Ubuntu on a simulation machine I babysit... At the time the theory was "I don't have time to work through the occasional Gentoo blockage, I can't take cpu time away from the Emag designers". In practice, once a Gentoo system is up, it doesn't take much to keep on top of it. I am dreading forcing a major distro release sometime this week because every single time there was a new release, something about systemD gets in the way and I spend hours googling wtf something means and how to appease it RATHER than a sane dependency tree and update...

^^^This...

The machine I'm writing this on is like Trigger's broom, all the hardware has changed at some point, but it has never had a wipe/reinstall since I first started with Gentoo. So although everything has changed, really nothing has either :D

(edit for typos)
cboldt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar experience here, except even getting thorough the first install was surprisingly painless. I'd struggled with adding packages to RedHat and then Mandrake. A friend pointed me to Gentoo, which I installed on separate partitions as time permitted. I dual booted between Mandrake and a new Gentoo install. I thought it would all be a huge chore to switch over, but it was pretty easy, since I wanted the new (Gentoo) to run the same services and user interface. I copied the configs over, got each service to run, and what I thought might take weeks took about three days.

Major hardware swaps take a bit of work, but typically there is an initial "flat out won't run," followed by quickly resolving that (e.g., absence of /dev/console and /dev/null; or missing SATA driver in the kernel, or wrong -march, etc.) via sysrescuecd and making necessary adjustments; followed by whatever time it takes (if any) to rebuild the entire system.

I moved my primary server (dhcp, mail, dns, jabberd, cupsd) from an AMD "screenless laptop" to an Intel machine a couple years ago. The whole process took a day, including rebuilding everything, and IIRC, two or three "show stopper" incompatibilities and errors on my part.

Not that Gentoo is trouble-free, but it is predictable. I think one of the biggest "problems" and there is no way to resolve this, is that over time the details of "HowTo" have evolved, yet the internet is full of deprecated HowTo.

The oldest file in my distfiles directories is cowsay, circa 2003.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: