WildStar PlayOnLinux Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
niceflower
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: WildStar PlayOnLinux Gentoo Reply with quote

i am running game called WildStar fine on Gentoo Hardened ~amd64 with PlayOnLinux,
however in this tutorial it is explained how to get FPS (frames per second) boost: https://www.playonlinux.com/en/topic-9707-Improve_Your_FPS_In_All_Games.html

but i can not get this part done:
Code:
Now we need to change some permissions for the X-server so that your script will work. Before you go further you should know that changing this setting is not a security best practice but there are no exploits in the wild that make use of it and the chance of seeing one in our lifetime that targets home Linux PCs is virtually nonexistant.

If you're fine with that, run this command in the terminal:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure x11-common

Select the 'Anybody' option and then 'OK' to exit. You can close the terminal emulator now.

i can not seem to find the right reconfigure for x11, what command is needed since dpkg-reconfigure x11-common is debian based?

is this what i need to "change some permissions for the X-server so that your script will work"??
Code:
Alternative method

In this section we will detail "setgid" mentioned above.

The objective is to run X as an unprivileged user without adding a user to the input group. This can prevent user from accidentally or intentionally snooping on the input.

To achieve this goal we make use of setgid so that when a user starts X, the X server will be automatically granted permission to access input devices.

Change the ownership of /usr/bin/Xorg:
root #chown -v :input /usr/bin/Xorg

Change the file permission of /usr/bin/Xorg:
root #chmod -v g+s /usr/bin/Xorg

Now your user is not required to be in the input group to run X server. To remove your user from input group:
root #gpasswd -d user input

But your user still needs to be in the video group:
root #usermod -a -G video user

Now start X as a regular user (see above) and X server should function well.
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure any of that is needed, at least with the current gentoo defaults.

You can typically just run (for example) 'startx xterm', and it'll start a new xorg-server instance with xterm being the only client, ie no window manager.

So, replacing xterm with whatever command you would use to start wildstar on the command line SHOULD "just work".

Xorg is still installed SUID by default on gentoo, whereas other systemd-based distros have moved away from that, so you probably don't need to worry about permissions, at least.
niceflower
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

running WildStar in xterm did not boost the frames per second ingame.

the problem was grsec with the TPE (trusted path execution) being enabled in the kernel, running the script made with the guide in the link in my first post, actually boosts the frames per second with 10 fps out of 30 fps !
i played aion and wildstar both on gentoo for a few months, now i got playstation 4 ! with elder scrolls:) i wonder if the controller will work on gentoo
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: