Gentoo support on build.opensuse?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timeraider
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Gentoo support on build.opensuse? Reply with quote

Dear all,

I do not know if this has already been asked previously but I have not found anything in the internet so far.
The openSUSE Build Service (OBS) at https://build.opensuse.org is a platform which lets you build and
test packages for different Linux distributions at one central place. There is a platform with a web-interface
available but you can also use their API to contribute to package development.
But unfortunately Gentoo Linux, our favourite Linux distribution, is not supported yet, as it can be seen under
https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Build_Service_supported_build_targets
The platform itself seems to be open source.

I do know that there is a Gentoo package called dev-util/osc which provides CLI commands to OpenSUSE builds
but I do not know if Gentoo is already supported by this package.

Are there any plans to include Gentoo into the OSC?
timeraider
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OBS offers compilation and distribution for Debian, Ubuntu, ArchLinux (see http://openbuildservice.org/2012/09/10/arch-linux-support/), Fedora, RedHat, OpenSUSE and others.
You can also download OBS from github and let it run locally on some server or use the build-service at OpenSUSE (they offer you much CPU power for several CPU architectures).
The OBS build scripts are hosted under https://github.com/openSUSE/obs-build.
For one person I would guess that its too much effort to implement this alone. So I am wondering if anbody is interested?
More information about OBS can be found at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Build_Service.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why should we need that?

Gentoo is source based, we compile it on every box.
Advanced setups can use binpkgs configurations (we have tinerbox to clone packages from there), or use the cpus from other boxes with the help of distc.

i do not see any benefit at all.

Gentoo just ships source code + how to deal with that by our package manager portage.

I think you miss the fact binary noobish distro (yes i have my reason why i say that) vs source based distro => that is apples vs banans.

you may read => gentoo wiki => keywords crosscompile, distcc, overlays, binpkg

and we do not have releases. Ebuilds change on an irregular basis. some ebuilds only exists for a few hours => see openrc recently.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tw04l124,

tw04l124 wrote:
some ebuilds only exists for a few hours => see openrc recently.

:)

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
timeraider
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I do know that Gentoo is source-based, and actually that is what I love about it ;-).
But any software package has to be compiled somehow before it can be installed and Gentoo is no exception here.

The advantage of OpenBuildService, in my opinion, is that it allows software developers to test if their software
still compiles on different Linux distributions if they change something (e.g., fix a bug or something like that).
They can even provide binary packages at one central point. Also when a dependent software package changes,
all other packages are re-compiled automatically.

I do not consider it a problem that the portage tree may change every few seconds. Nobody will call eix-sync
every minute or even hourly on a workstation, as long as you do not want to get banned by some mirrors :-).

(In my opinion) it would not be a harm to have additional build servers :-).

I just found this link https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:RelEng_GRS. Maybe this idea can be re-used
also for OBS. I do not know yet, will take some time to study it in detail...
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timeraider,

I think you are missing the point a little. Lets look at just one package.
Code:
emerge -pv firefox

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R    ] www-client/firefox-41.0-r1::gentoo  USE="jemalloc3 jit minimal startup-notification -bindist -custom-cflags -custom-optimization -dbus -debug -egl -gmp-autoupdate -gstreamer -gstreamer-0 -hardened (-neon) (-pgo) -pulseaudio (-selinux) -system-cairo -system-icu -system-jpeg -system-libvpx -system-sqlite {-test} -wifi"

That's 21 use flags under my control. We can discount bindist, since that must be set if we want to distribute binaries.
We therefore have 2^20 (over a million) ways to build just one package.

Users installing firefox-bin have the USE flags preset for them and need to build their systems to support firefox-bin.

The reality is that Gentoo is portage and the ebuild tree. Everything else is $UPSTREAM. You use gentoo to build your own distro.
Prebuilt binaries, other than the stage3, to get you started, don't fit into the Gentoo ecosystem very well.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
timeraider
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you are right that with each package the useflag combinations increase exponential. But how about using the default-set of use-flags provided by the gentoo-developers for, e.g., the KDE profile?

Having the ability to build and test Gentoo ebuilds in the open build service would be beneficial for software package providers as already Debian, OpenSUSE, RedHat and ArchLinux are supported in one-place. So if you want to distribute your software, it would be nice that you can develop and test your Gentoo ebuilds there too.
samuelbernardo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timeraider wrote:
Well, you are right that with each package the useflag combinations increase exponential. But how about using the default-set of use-flags provided by the gentoo-developers for, e.g., the KDE profile?

Having the ability to build and test Gentoo ebuilds in the open build service would be beneficial for software package providers as already Debian, OpenSUSE, RedHat and ArchLinux are supported in one-place. So if you want to distribute your software, it would be nice that you can develop and test your Gentoo ebuilds there too.

I aggree and I'm thinking on it, since it would be nice to have a platform for continuous integration, OpenQA tests and package dependencies test.
Sorry for this reply so much time after, but I'm just thinking about the best way to use gentoo in such an environment where in the end it produces an rpm repository. This could be used for example to create images with packer that would be deployed to lxc containers or kvm VMs.

What would be the best approach when using gentoo?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

samuelbernardo,

The stage3 tarballs are built with a tool called catalyst.
Its starts with a seed stage, builds stage1, uses stage1 to build stage2, then uses that stage2 to build stage3.

Exactly what goes into each stage is scrpted, if you change the scripts, you can build what you want.

I'm not sure if its the same tool that is used to build the minimal CDs or not.

Code:
emerge catalyst
if you want to test for yourself.
Start a new thread if you need help with catalyst.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
fusion809
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this topic and thought I'd mention that I occasionally go on the #opensuse-buildservice IRC channel and one time I asked if there was any interest in adding Gentoo or Sabayon packaging support. The answer I got was that the OBS once did support Gentoo packaging. People hardly used it so the OBS maintainers decided to ditch support, but (if I understand them right) they only removed the ability from the platform (the build.opensuse.org instance of the OBS), not from the OBS software itself so in theory it might be possible to add this capability to one's own OBS instance.
timeraider
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@fusion809: Can you tell us more about that IRC discussion?

I am not able to find anything in the source code, at least not in current master:
Code:

git clone https://github.com/openSUSE/obs-build
cd obs-build
grep -rHiE "gentoo|portage|emerge" .
fusion809
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a few months ago, but someone did mention there used to be Gentoo support. I'll find out who it was.
fusion809
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One note, while I'm awaiting some reply to my question #opensuse-buildservice asking who said it, searching the opensuse-buildservice mailing list for "ebuild" returns quite a few results, so it seems to support the idea that ebuilds were once a supported filetype by the OBS https://lists.opensuse.org/cgi-bin/search.cgi?advanced=no&list=opensuse-buildservice&page=1&query=ebuild&size=10. Rofl, but most of the results, while I restricted it to opensuse-buildservice mailing list, the results actually mostly pertain to other lists.
fusion809
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appears it was sysrich (his nick on IRC) that said that and I opened a query with him and it says he's away since 13 April 2017.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: