Firefox and video playback
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venquessa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Firefox and video playback Reply with quote

Recently (a year ago?) we more or less lost flash. I struggled for a while, but then found an alternative add on which plays FLV and MP4 videos in place of flash in 90% of cases. I can't for the life of me remember what it was now.

After a recent update things seem to have improved some, in that more sites now seem to use an HTML5 player instead of flash. I don't know why am update fix this.

However, the progress or cue bar at the bottom of the videos now shoot across to 100% and I can't seek in the videos.

Is this a problem with Firefox's HTML5 plugin or is it a problem with my alternative add on - which I still can't remember what it was called.

Either way, anyone know a fix? Firefox is upto date as of yesterday.
Hu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can go to Tools->Add-ons to see a list of all your add-ons. That should let you find its name, which will also let you check for any updates that may have been published by its author. You can also use that view to temporarily disable it if you suspect it is responsible for your problems.
venquessa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
You can go to Tools->Add-ons to see a list of all your add-ons. That should let you find its name, which will also let you check for any updates that may have been published by its author. You can also use that view to temporarily disable it if you suspect it is responsible for your problems.

There is nothing really of interest in there. adobe-flash is there, but not working anymore. I recall it wasn't a firefox add on, it was either a VLC thing or MPV. I remember wondering how it could work, but it did.

I'm suspecting the alternative just isn't working anymore and the HTML5 player built into firefox is displaying most videos but has an issue with determining how long videos are.

When a video opens the cue bar rapidly moves to the right showing 100%, the video length shows the same time as the current position. If I let the video play to the end I can then skip / cue to where ever I want.
saturnalia0
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't needed flash for ages, I just call `mpv <link>` by a suggestion from some user in this forums. But anyway if you really need it, why not install the flash plugin? Firefox dropped support for it? Gentoo uses an older version for the stable one.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: