Nintendo Switch / Zelda
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Nintendo Switch / Zelda Reply with quote

Anyone?

Despite a few minor glitches with hardware, I think I'm in. And mainly due to Zelda.

From a preview video, it seemed to have a lot of visual elements of the original. One review I read even commented on getting back to gaming for the gameplay rather than "mining" which has become so common.
Ant P.
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

“A few”? The game looks as high quality as one would expect, but I'm not playing russian roulette with nvidia's infamous reliability track record just to play it. Not buying v1 of this.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't count, but yeah a few. Until otherwise clarified, I'm presuming the lockups, artifacts and cartridge recognition issues are software. I'd be curious to know how common the lockup problem(s) are.

The hardware issues to which I was referring included the upscaling problem (only 720p native, causing pixellation). The other primary HW issue was the range of the controllers. Which may possibly be related to the recommendation on placing the console ~3 feet from other devices. I don't know if that is also related to the "left controller" non-responsive problem (seems like it could also be software). And their pixel policy. That's probably the most concerning, mainly because everything else seems correctable.

Being able to incorrectly connect the controller thing seems minor. Don't do it. And when trying to separate it, be smart enough to try something else before you bleed. LOL. Hopefully the flex between the console and the gray controllers isn't a problem. I didn't know about either of these, but they don't seem like show stoppers.

Off the top of my head, I'm not recalling other hardware issues.

I've never bought early, so maybe that's why I've never encountered their "infamous reliability track record." Although I've only ever bought the SNES and N64. That's when "3D" and FPS gaming took off, so I lost interest.
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nintendo is rather infamous for shoddy hardware builds though.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danomac wrote:
Nintendo is rather infamous for shoddy hardware builds though.

Are they? I am unaware, prior to the Switch's failures... aside from the nunchaku on the Wii flying into TVs.

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure they are. Owned several Nintendo made items, gave up on them at the Wii stage.

NES = bad cartridge slots. We had one a month out of warranty they wouldn't fix. (or just over a year old)
SNES = we got white bars on the screen. Was two years old. Found out recently that they'd left a capacitor out of the PSU design that caused it.

Those are two example I remember vividly. The designs they use are cheap and they charge a premium for it. With the switch it's no different.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every nintendo product I have owned has never broken down. NES, SNES, Gameboy original, Wii.

I'd get it but I was never into Zelda. I never really liked Sonic on the Sega things as well. 16bit was the pinnacle for me
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danomac wrote:
Sure they are. Owned several Nintendo made items, gave up on them at the Wii stage.

NES = bad cartridge slots. We had one a month out of warranty they wouldn't fix. (or just over a year old)
SNES = we got white bars on the screen. Was two years old. Found out recently that they'd left a capacitor out of the PSU design that caused it.

Those are two example I remember vividly. The designs they use are cheap and they charge a premium for it. With the switch it's no different.
That may just be manufacturing and not a "build quality problem."

I've known several people with an NES that had no problems (I never owned one). I used my SNES a lot and never had a problem. And I never had a problem with my N64, though I used it "a lot" but only for s short period of time.
Zucca
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of buying Switch just because of Zelda.
But I'll wait and see if I still want it when the prices have dropped... If they drop ever.

bash/zsh:
beep $(gunzip -ck <(base64 -d <<< "H4sIAAAAAAACA5VPNQEDAQy0EgGlcGKoS8H/+My8Ht/9DaYJ9y+IveD+hxLwkApgqYFBQTwDEDsg4tUoNi0aPgGWtRlxtRZf4oNiyCAefVlm7FuQMfZ7l2daYFBIznpdXlv/C+jpLQeEAQAA"))
Naib
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zucca wrote:
I'm thinking of buying Switch just because of Zelda.
But I'll wait and see if I still want it when the prices have dropped... If they drop ever.
I would wait until teh hardware refresh (to work out these kinks) as well as to see if any 3rd party jump on it. Look at the WiiU ... a mediocre bump to the Wii that fizzled out
Zucca
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
I would wait until teh hardware refresh (to work out these kinks) as well as to see if any 3rd party jump on it.
True. Although my main objective is to get that Zelda... But I do not want Wii U. Ugh...

bash/zsh:
beep $(gunzip -ck <(base64 -d <<< "H4sIAAAAAAACA5VPNQEDAQy0EgGlcGKoS8H/+My8Ht/9DaYJ9y+IveD+hxLwkApgqYFBQTwDEDsg4tUoNi0aPgGWtRlxtRZf4oNiyCAefVlm7FuQMfZ7l2daYFBIznpdXlv/C+jpLQeEAQAA"))
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless they've made tweaks to hardware, I wouldn't expect the price to drop or a refresh any time soon; they just doubled production due to sales.

So far Nintendo is claiming the number of reported problems to be consistent with previous new console releases. If true, that's promising.
staretsgraphy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A better solution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lORJ40YhPww
Zucca
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

staretsgraphy wrote:
A better solution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lORJ40YhPww
Whoa. That was fast. :o
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about controllers?
Zucca
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
What about controllers?
I was thinking the same... You'd need to find some game pad that's comparable to at least WiiU controller (minus the screen).
Easiest solution may be to buy Switch Pro Controller and hoping it just works with plug and play. :P

bash/zsh:
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol:

Assuming the hardware is having a "normal" amount of problems, I won't mind buying it.
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the Switch will deform/warp if docked for extended periods of time. Apparently it can get quite warm if it distorts the plastic... wonder how the circuit boards inside will handle this. I kind of wonder if they will unsolder some components like the xbox360 and ps3 through repeated heat stress?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking like Naib was correct suggesting waiting for a refresh.
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone actually own one? Is there a fan on the dock?

Edit: Also been reading using the thing undocked is an ergonomic mess for larger hands...
Zucca
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danomac wrote:
Does anyone actually own one? Is there a fan on the dock?
I don't own, but seen a teardown. No fan inside the dock, but on the device itself there is one.

bash/zsh:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: